HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Mossberg 500 Wood Upgrade (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/240327-mossberg-500-wood-upgrade.html)

Newfield_Clay 04-01-2008 05:05 PM

Mossberg 500 Wood Upgrade

My current shotgun right now is a 12gamossberg 500 (500A more specifically) all in black/blue, with black synthetic stock and fore-end. I had to get rid of a lot of my safe when we moved cross country last year, and this is the only shotgun i decided to keep, because though cheap has always functioned perfectly for me, and it was my first shotgun, so i had some sentimental attachment to it.

Anyway, i WAS going to buy a special slug gun for deer season this year, and keep this one as a turkey/bird gun. But I was thinking it over, and think I would much rather just get a fully rifled barrel for it for deer season, and just pretty it up some with some wood. I've never done this before so I'm kind of in the dark as to how much this is all going to cost, or how to even get this done. I've done a prelim search on wood stocks for the mossberg 500, with very little reputable finds. Is there a site out there that i can get a good quality stock/fore-end from, so i can just do it myself, or do i have to take it into a gunsmith for a custom job? I saw lots of options for the remington 870, but like i said very little for the mossberg. In either case, how much is this all going to run me? ballpark figure...

Thanks in advance!

balde 04-01-2008 05:49 PM

RE: Mossberg 500 Wood Upgrade

check on ebay! they always have stock& forearmsin various conditions.
i picked up an unfinished thumbhole stock for 40 bucks delivered and stained it up myself to match the forearm. but im sure u can get a regular set for that or less!!

Newfield_Clay 04-01-2008 06:06 PM

ya i checked out mossbergs site, and they have a stock, but no matching forearm, go figure LOL

liquidorange 04-01-2008 06:22 PM

i bought the slug barrel for my 500 with the cantelever scope mount base and it shoots nice groups at 100 yards. you can get barrels and stock sets direct from mossberg give them a call. ive found the prices are the same as everyone elses prices. you can also try gunbroker.com. those parts are easy to swap out.

USNRETHunter 04-02-2008 06:52 AM

Unfortunately, the wood stocks are difficult to find for the 500. I believe even Boyd's discontinued the Mossberg stocks (someone correct me if I'm wrong here). As Balde said above, there are a few available on e-bay. Of course, since you are now moved, for not much more money you could just pick up an Ultra Slug Hunter....

adam11082 04-03-2008 06:02 AM

I have a mossberg 535 that has some decent wood on it. I was thinking about getting synthetic for it because it's in the duck boat alot. Would you be intertested is trading the stocks and forends?

sjsfire 04-03-2008 06:32 AM

Just me but I wouldn't try to "pretty up" a slug gun to deer hunt. I've got a 500 with wood, a cantilever scoped barrel, and Nikon scope. Shoots great but it looks like it came over on the Mayflower...

Newfield_Clay 04-03-2008 10:04 AM

I just like the look of wood better on a shotgun. It has that more classic look...thats just my personal preference. Adam, Will the 535 fittings fit on a 500? if so i'd be very interested in doing a trade.

adam11082 04-03-2008 11:27 AM

From what I have read in several places they will swap out. Email me if you are still interested. [email protected]