HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Good Elk/Moose Gun (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/240316-good-elk-moose-gun.html)

ox1443 04-01-2008 03:47 PM

Good Elk/Moose Gun

Well My friend is looking at geting a Elk/Moose/ Rifle he has a 25 WSSM right now and that is his deer rifle buthe isreally Recoil shy like i meen really really shy he shot my other friends 300 WSM With Managed recoil,BOSS CR., And A Limb Saver Recoil pad and he said it kicked way too much for himhemaybe willbe taking100 yards shots up too 500 yards

shamlin 04-01-2008 04:21 PM

RE: Good Elk/Moose Gun

Any rifle with alot of knockdown power is gonna kick. Maybe he should look into a 308 it not the most powerful round but it does shoot flat and would be accurate at 500 yds. A 30-06 doesnt have alot of recoil but but 500 yds might be a reach.

DannyD 04-01-2008 04:26 PM

Another option might be a 7mmwin mag.
I have one with a Limbsaver recoil pad. My daughter shoots this gun with the Remington Managed Recoil loads. This greatly reduces the felt recoil of the 7mag load
Most of the practice can with the gun can be done with themanaged loads. When it gets near time to hunt, site in and hunt with the regular loads.
Your friend will most likely not feel the recoil during the hunt.

bigbulls 04-01-2008 04:54 PM

he shot my other friends 300 WSM With Managed recoil,BOSS CR., And A Limb Saver Recoil pad and he said it kicked way too much for him
He needs to take up crochet. Seriously if that combo kicked too hard then he is in trouble. He might want to look at a 7mm-08, .308, or 338 Federal.

Maybe he should look into a308 it not the most powerful round but it does shoot flat and would be accurate at 500 yds. A 30-06 doesnt have alot of recoil but but 500 yds might be a reach.
So a 308 is a good 500 yard elk and moose rifle but a 30-06 isn't?

jeepkid 04-01-2008 05:13 PM

ORIGINAL: bigbulls

he shot my other friends 300 WSM With Managed recoil,BOSS CR., And A Limb Saver Recoil pad and he said it kicked way too much for him
He needs to take up crochet. Seriously if that combo kicked too hard then he is in trouble. He might want to look at a 7mm-08, .308, or 338 Federal.

I don't know, I bet those three would still kick more then the 300 WSM...

Theres not a chance that he will find a gun capable of killing elk at 500 yards that kicks less then that 300 WSM. Sorry.

biscuit jake 04-01-2008 05:51 PM

Well, I would hate to see him go after such a grand beast flinching a bunch. Might just cause a bad injury. So first I would suggest he warm up to somethin'. The standard 30 cal's should work, 308, 30'06, 303 British and the like. I would keep him away from light rifles and remember to shoot as much as possible from the stand. Use hearing protection, place the stock in the proper place and just roll with the action. The old rounds will do in reasonable range. The bullets will fly much farther than they will serve as a good hunting tool.

I wouldn't take on a trip like that until he was confident.

oldelkhunter 04-01-2008 07:23 PM

Or a pointed stick

hemaybe willbe taking100 yards shots up too 500 yards
Poor Elk ..let him hunt in a Wolf area at least they'll find the wounded animal.

bigbulls 04-01-2008 07:35 PM

Are you serious?

Wolf killer 04-01-2008 07:58 PM

ORIGINAL: ox1443

Well My friend is looking at geting a Elk/Moose/ Rifle he has a 25 WSSM right now and that is his deer rifle buthe isreally Recoil shy like i meen really really shy he shot my other friends 300 WSM With Managed recoil,BOSS CR., And A Limb Saver Recoil pad and he said it kicked way too much for himhemaybe willbe taking100 yards shots up too 500 yards
He should stick to playing video games ortake uparchery, until his nuts drop.

Just my 2-cents,

WK

jeepkid 04-01-2008 08:00 PM

ORIGINAL: bigbulls

Are you serious?
Managed recoil ammo, a boss, and a limbsaver. Yeah, I bet it'd kick less then the others without any of that stuff...