Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 A Varmint Cartridge for me..... no holds >

A Varmint Cartridge for me..... no holds

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

A Varmint Cartridge for me..... no holds

Old 03-31-2008, 07:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default A Varmint Cartridge for me..... no holds

This summer, I am going to have a barrel made for my TC Encore (the one that doesn't shoot worth a lick). I'd kind of like a varmint cartridge for it. I don't know yet who I am going to have make it, but I am leaning toward Bullberry or EABCO, and taking them up on the sub-MOA guarentee.

I am a reloader, so I don't give a crap about ammo availability, as long as its not impossible to find brass for. The rifle will be used mostly for groundhogs, foxes, beavers, bobcats, house cats (feral) and whatever else may need a nice dose of killing.

I'm not really planning on taking her past 400 yards, because 400 yards is a heck of a big field even in my part of the world.

What cartridge would you recommend for me and why?
Old 03-31-2008, 07:44 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: A Varmint Cartridge for me..... no holds

There are so many calibers that would fit your need it's hard to count. .22? (220 Swift, 22-250, 223)? You want wildcat? Windy? Maybe a .243 winchester or any of the other 6mms? How about a 6mm-284, or a 6.5-284? Bulberry will make you anything you want. It will take up to 6months. You won't be shooting it this summer unless you can talk him into building yours before he builds mine!

Good luck and enjoy!
Old 03-31-2008, 08:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

IMO the 223 is a bit light for eastern ground hog's out to 400 yards. I like to see impacts when I varmint hunt. So I would keep it light as possible. A good choice would be a 22-250 loaded with a 50 grain bullet. Go with the 1in12 or 1in9 if you want to lean toward the heavier side with your bullet choice. The only problem with the heavier bullets is it will be hard to see impacts. You can not see impacts with a 243 unless you go with a very heavy-ported rifle. You can probably get very close to 400 yards and still hold dead on out to that distance with a fast 50 grain pill. I am sure you can accomplish this with a 40 grain pill.

Match Grade Machine makes a very good barrel also. IMO they use a great blank. I just ordered an in stock 223 barrel from them last week. They had some 22-250's in stock also. If you have a couple of months to wait-then they do a magnificent match chambering job. You can send them your own dummy cartridge and they will make a chamber as tight as possible. Tom.
Old 03-31-2008, 08:20 PM

FWIW, I would look at the 6mm PPC. I have always been interested in this round. Usually very accurate, and should meet your needs. If it was me, it would be between the PPC and the 220 Swift. I have had a few Swift's over the years and have always been pleased with the performance. Good luck.
Old 03-31-2008, 08:24 PM

I would Op the 22-250 Or the 243 WSSM And the 223

Have fun

Jaymie
Old 03-31-2008, 08:39 PM
Boone & Crockett

22 PPC.
Old 03-31-2008, 09:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

If you want a .223 caliber.....here are my 2 favs,
#1 .220 swift awesome!
#2 .22-250 rem popular!

.243 Win if you want something bigger than a .223 caliber....
6mm/284 awesome 6mm wildcat!
Old 04-01-2008, 03:43 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: HEAD0001

You can probably get very close to 400 yards and still hold dead on out to that distance with a fast 50 grain pill. I am sure you can accomplish this with a 40 grain pill.

You Cannot hold DEAD on at 400 yards. A 220 swift with a 50 grain bullet is dropping 15" and a 40 grain bullet is going to be close to the same.http://biggameinfo.com/BalCalc.aspxI have a 220 and have never been able to hold dead on at that distance. Well if it was a VERY large groundhog standing on his back legs you might get away with it. Heck a 50 grain bullet is dropping about 6" at 300 at that you still need to hold high!
Old 04-01-2008, 04:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: SwampCollie

This summer, I am going to have a barrel made for my TC Encore (the one that doesn't shoot worth a lick). I'd kind of like a varmint cartridge for it. I don't know yet who I am going to have make it, but I am leaning toward Bullberry or EABCO, and taking them up on the sub-MOA guarentee.

I am a reloader, so I don't give a crap about ammo availability, as long as its not impossible to find brass for. The rifle will be used mostly for groundhogs, foxes, beavers, bobcats, house cats (feral) and whatever else may need a nice dose of killing.

I'm not really planning on taking her past 400 yards, because 400 yards is a heck of a big field even in my part of the world.

What cartridge would you recommend for me and why?
IF I ever get another small caliber rifle, it will be something like a .204 Ruger, 220 Swift, etc. No more low-velocity popguns like the .223 Rem.
Old 04-01-2008, 05:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well, Swamp, I guess I would have to recommend something in the 6mm line for several reasons, but the primary one is wind drift. A .243, 6mm, and any of the altered versions should work just fine. Personally, I'm in the process of having a .243 AI built right now. Don't know if I'll get to use it this summer or not, but it's getting done.

Quick Reply: A Varmint Cartridge for me..... no holds

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.