Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 7mm. Rem. Mag. opinions.... >

7mm. Rem. Mag. opinions....

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

7mm. Rem. Mag. opinions....

Old 03-30-2008, 01:26 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: 7mm. Rem. Mag. opinions....

I have killed lots of deer and Elk with 7mm's and 30's and Deer definitely drop much quicker with a 7 rem mag or WSM then they do with a 300 win mag/wthby.
Iam surethat you are getting good results with your 7mm as you seem very adamant in your posts. I dont havea particular attachment to.308s,but for terminal performance I would bet ona larger caliber, heavier bullet impacting with greater KE every time. (assuming they have similar bullet construction) This goes for any caliber.
Old 03-30-2008, 03:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

am surethat you are getting good results with your 7mm as you seem very adamant in your posts. I dont havea particular attachment to.308s,but for terminal performance I would bet ona larger caliber, heavier bullet impacting with greater KE every time. (assuming they have similar bullet construction) This goes for any caliber.
No the 7mm beats it in KE everytime at every range because the bullet has a better sectional density and Ballistic coefficient in most popular hunting bullets. Now a bullet with a larger frontal diameter may have better KO but that hasn't been proven to me when field comparing a 7REM mag with a 300 win/wthby mag.
Old 03-30-2008, 06:42 PM
Typical Buck

[blockquote]quote:

am surethat you are getting good results with your 7mm as you seem very adamant in your posts. I dont havea particular attachment to.308s,but for terminal performance I would bet ona larger caliber, heavier bullet impacting with greater KE every time. (assuming they have similar bullet construction) This goes for any caliber. [/blockquote]

No the 7mm beats it in KE everytime at every range because the bullet has a better sectional density and Ballistic coefficient in most popular hunting bullets. Now a bullet with a larger frontal diameter may have better KO but that hasn't been proven to me when field comparing a 7REM mag with a 300 win/wthby mag.

The perception that the.284 bulletshave a marked BC or SD advatage over the 308 is just that a Perception. The slight edge the .284 bullets once held has eroded with the introduction of the bonded/polymer tipped bullets. I have a comparison below which is my "best attempt" to compare the best availble for both calibers.

AB SS AB NP
7mm 140 150 160 175 Average
SD.248.266 .283 .310 .276.75
BC .485 .515 .531.519 .512.5

E-Tip AB SS AB I may have missed a bullet!!
308 150165 180 200 Average
SD.226 .248.271 .301.261.5
BC.469 .475 .520 .588 .513

In order to compare the two calibersI lined up the 160/180 grain bullets (your comparison earlier) and let the rest of bullets just fall in line. Without a viable 7mm option to put up against the 220 grain308 with a SD of.331the 7MM comes in slightly higher in SD.

Yet, despite the edge in SD, the BC of the average of the 7mm bullets were actually a hair lower than the .308 bullets. The 7mm is far from "beating it in KE evertime" when it is trying to make up a 500 FT/lbs KE deficit at the muzzle to a 300 WM.

AB= Accubond
SS=Swift Scirocco 2
NP= Nosler Partition
E-tip= Nosler

Old 03-30-2008, 08:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm a firm believer in the 7mm Rem Mag. I have owned one for about 13 years now, and its never let me down yet. For the power, I find them very user friendly (low recoil), and they hit hard at long ranges.
Old 03-31-2008, 04:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Scott Gags

I have killed lots of deer and Elk with 7mm's and 30's and Deer definitely drop much quicker with a 7 rem mag or WSM then they do with a 300 win mag/wthby.
Iam surethat you are getting good results with your 7mm as you seem very adamant in your posts. I dont havea particular attachment to.308s,but for terminal performance I would bet ona larger caliber, heavier bullet impacting with greater KE every time. (assuming they have similar bullet construction) This goes for any caliber.
Your opinion certainly sounds logical enough. But for the "other side of the story", I suggest you find a copy of P.O. Ackley's Hnadbook for Shooters and Reloaders Volume I, and read the chapter on killing power, paying special attention to the section on the shooting of a bunch of wild burros with the .30/'06, 8X57mm Mauser, and the .220 Swift!
Old 04-01-2008, 12:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

A world without a 30/06 is a sad thing to imagine.
Old 04-05-2008, 10:51 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: eldeguello

The 7mm Rem. Mag. is just as good an all-round cartridge as the .30/'06. However, I believe the factories have pretty well "wimp-ized" it, at least in the heavier bullet weights. From a 26" barrel, a good 7mm Mag. is capable of over 3000 FPS with 175-grain bullets. I have used such a load for elk, and it is devastating! My Ruger 1B in 7mm Mag. is capable of 1" groups at 200 yards, so there's nothing wrong with the 7 Mag.'s accuracy potential, either. The only improvement I can think of would be to make the cartridge exactly the same, but leave off the dad-burned belt!!

Is the 7mm Rem. Mag. a whole lot better than a .30/'06? Nope. But it will shoot the heavy bullets a little bit faster/flatter. That's an advantage to some people who like to take the long shots.....
Well said. It's always a pleasure to read your posts.
Old 04-05-2008, 11:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yea Eldeguello I have seen that and it is that 4000fps range that seems to change the whole concept of things.

On the 7mm mag. I have never owned one but have been with several hunting buddies that shoot them.No matter what it still takes a good shot to put a animal down.I think the most one shot drops that I have wittnessed has come from .300wm at 100 yards or so.second would be from a 30-30 at less then 100 yards.What I remember from charts the 7mmrum isone of flattest shooting rounds out there.
Old 04-06-2008, 02:50 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: DANTHEHUNTER

Yea Eldeguello I have seen that and it is that 4000fps range that seems to change the whole concept of things.
Where do you get 4,000fps?

It's ALWAYS about shot placement.
Old 04-06-2008, 05:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: FastShootingCarts

ORIGINAL: eldeguello

The 7mm Rem. Mag. is just as good an all-round cartridge as the .30/'06. However, I believe the factories have pretty well "wimp-ized" it, at least in the heavier bullet weights. From a 26" barrel, a good 7mm Mag. is capable of over 3000 FPS with 175-grain bullets. I have used such a load for elk, and it is devastating! My Ruger 1B in 7mm Mag. is capable of 1" groups at 200 yards, so there's nothing wrong with the 7 Mag.'s accuracy potential, either. The only improvement I can think of would be to make the cartridge exactly the same, but leave off the dad-burned belt!!

Is the 7mm Rem. Mag. a whole lot better than a .30/'06? Nope. But it will shoot the heavy bullets a little bit faster/flatter. That's an advantage to some people who like to take the long shots.....
Well said. It's always a pleasure to read your posts.
Thanks!!

No matter what it still takes a good shot to put a animal down.
This factor is, of course, the most important consideration. There are a number of ballistcally comparable cartridges in the .277-.323" caliber range which, if the bullets are placed similarly, the results are going to be pretty much the same as well. I am not aware of ANY caliber round that can be fired from the shoulder that truly compensates for poor shooting, except for possibly the 57mm recoilless rifle.....

Quick Reply: 7mm. Rem. Mag. opinions....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.