Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 removable box magazine or hinged floor plate >

removable box magazine or hinged floor plate

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

removable box magazine or hinged floor plate

Old 03-28-2008, 07:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default removable box magazine or hinged floor plate

Which do you like? I only like the hinged floor plate
Old 03-29-2008, 06:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: removable box magazine or hinged floor plate

ORIGINAL: SJAdventures

Which do you like? I only like the hinged floor plate
I prefer the built-in, Mauser-type staggered box magazine with or without a hinge. Detachable box magazines are too easy to drop, loose, or misplace. Beside, I don't like anything that projects down past the bottom of the stock in front of the trigger guard. Messes up one-hand holding.....
Old 03-29-2008, 07:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

I like the detachable magazine from my Sako’s. A snap to remove and slap into place and flush with the stock. Nothing in the way. Just the way I like it...
Old 03-29-2008, 07:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: trailer

I like the detachable magazine from my Sako’s. A snap to remove and slap into place and flush with the stock. Nothing in the way. Just the way I like it...

Ditto.
Old 03-29-2008, 07:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

I also prefer the DM option on Sako's (mine is a 75 BTW).
Old 03-29-2008, 08:16 AM

I don't like detachable magazines, either a floor plate or blind box magazine for me. And I'd honestly be happy if it only held three rounds. Shell capacity on a rifle has never been an issue for me. In most cases I either hit what I am aiming at or I don't. If I didn't connect on the first shot I highly doubt I will on the next three or four when I'm rushed.

Paul
Old 03-29-2008, 09:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

If it is a quality unit SAKO then i prefer it to any hinged floorplate. Try one out sometime with the box out or in one of the smoothest loading rifles made. Now the Tikka is a mess and protrudes out the bottom I have no use for that.
Old 03-29-2008, 09:57 AM
Typical Buck

I like the the removeable magazine of the Sako M75 but it does have the problem of accidently falling out if the latch is struck inadvertantly. Sakosolved that problem in the newer 85 model byhaving to depress the magazine and then the latch to remove it and it works great. They have a very positive feed and are one of the few that cycle the WSM's without a hitch.
Old 03-29-2008, 12:18 PM
Typical Buck

it depends on the gun. for my mossberg 385-T i'd rather have a hinge but on my SKS it's more fun to have a detachable
Old 03-29-2008, 02:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I hate detachable box magazines...

They are easy to lose ( yeah, I know, I can buy an EXTRA, but why should I have to..??..)...

IMHO, they much less asthetically pleasing to the eye...

With an integral staggered box mag, EVERYTHING is there...Floorplate is a nice feature, but not required.. A blind box mag is still much superior to a detachable BM, in my opinion...

When I bought my Rem 700 Mountain Rifle in 7MM08, they had just switched to DMs... Damn thing has been nothing but trouble..Does not feed reliably, one day I hunted with a single shot because I misplaced the damn thing, yada, yada... All of this could be avoided and the rifle would be more attractive with a simple hinged floorplate...

Quick Reply: removable box magazine or hinged floor plate

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.