Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 removable box magazine or hinged floor plate >

removable box magazine or hinged floor plate

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

removable box magazine or hinged floor plate

Old 03-30-2008, 11:53 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: removable box magazine or hinged floor plate

I have a couple of M75's and I can say from experince that the one chambered in 375 H&H has dropped it's magazine from recoil alone.
Old 03-30-2008, 12:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: doubleA

I have a couple of M75's and I can say from experince that the one chambered in 375 H&H has dropped it's magazine from recoil alone.
Double A, This is the first time I’ve ever heard of someone with personal experience with the magazine problem. I guess my Sakos are just pop guns compared to that 375 H&H canon...
Old 03-30-2008, 02:07 PM
Typical Buck

Trailer, even with my problems with the 375, I love the set up that Sako uses, it's very sleek, ann at a glance it looks like a regular floorplate. As BugsnBows stated, it's probably happened to others also and that led them (Sako) to to come out withthe updated design used in the M85's.

I love my Sako's and just ordered a TRG 22 in 308 Win. ( these use a completely different magazine design)
Old 03-30-2008, 02:42 PM

Don't really like hinged floor platesDM'S ALL THE WAY
Old 03-30-2008, 03:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

That may explain why they made a limited edition CRF with a hinged floorplate for the V series actions that was chambered in 375. It was also pretty common to find a hinged floorplate along with a DM when finding a 5 Action and I believe if not mistaken that the RUMs came with hinged floorplates. The Biggest Sako action I owned was a 5 in STW and I never fired it. It came with a DM.
Old 03-30-2008, 03:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

CLIPS ALL THE WAY
A clip refers to a stripper clip used in military rifles and not a magazine that is detachable.
Old 03-30-2008, 04:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think someone's like the Sako TRG’s... I would love to see one up close and to shoot one would be the treat of the week...[8D]
Old 03-30-2008, 08:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

I prefet a DM myself.

I owned a Tikka for a good part of 5 years, and never had a single issue with its mag.

I've owned a Browning A-Bolt for 13 years, and its never let me down yet.

I have a few bolt guns with blind box magazines, I hate them. My fingers don't like jamming shells in them, and unloading them is a chore.

I own a few bolt guns with floor plates, and still don't like to load them, but unloading is real easy.

When shopping for a firearm, I want a DM First, and a hinged floorplate second.
Old 04-01-2008, 07:28 PM
Fork Horn

For a bolt gun and hunting I prefer a hinged floor plate. A magazine is fin as long as it’s well thought out and made well. The Sako 85’s is made harder to remove than the 75. They must have seen a need for the design change. The Steyr Mannlicher design needs to have both sides pinched to remove. While this reduces the chance of it falling out accidentally the still can be changed quickly. They are also flush with the stock and are clearly marked with the caliber on the bottom. Like other magazines they can be taken out and forgotten or lost and add a little more complexity to the gun.

You know I was discussing the 85 vs 75 the other day with one of NC's biggest beretta dealers and he told me that the only improvement he saw between the 2 was the stock.

Their synthetic stock is a step backwards as far as I’m concerned.