HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   synthetic or wood???? The final decision (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/239269-synthetic-wood-final-decision.html)

schoolcraft 03-26-2008 11:22 AM

synthetic or wood???? The final decision

First of all....thank you to everyone who have given me caliber and rifle make/model opinions in my previous posts.

I've finally decided that I'm going with a left handed Browning A-Bolt in either .270 or .30-06

Now, I'm trying to decide between the Stainless Stalker and the Medallion.

The practical side of me says to go synthetic/stainless.....but the wood stocked Medallion feels so good and looks great.

Any opinions?

TexasBowHunter 03-26-2008 11:32 AM

RE: synthetic or wood???? The final decision

IMO, I prefer the wood feel, always have.

ipscshooter 03-26-2008 11:33 AM

I kinda choose function over form. I love the look of a nice wood stock, but, I don't like scratching them up. I took the wood stock off my 700 ADL .30-06 and installed a synthetic, and all rifles I've acquired lately have had synthetic stocks.

skeeter 7MM 03-26-2008 11:55 AM

but the wood stocked Medallion feels so good and looks great
Sounds like wood is your preference.

Personally like wood as well, even more so when compared to most factory synthetic stocks;).

Ruger-Redhawk 03-26-2008 12:21 PM

To look at Wood, for hard use a Synthetic. The synthetic are allot more forgiving.

salukipv1 03-26-2008 01:11 PM

I love my abolt medallion, I saw a browning synthetic varmint and the stock just seemed so cheap, like plastic.....some synthetics I like out there, I dont think brownings one of them. I am a fan of synthetics though, esp on most rifles, if you plan to be in the mtns, snow rain....id prob go stainless, though they make a wood/stainless I believe.

I just like the idea of the stock now swelling etc.....and therefore always shooting on point. If you plan to hunt warm conditions you may just want to go with wood.

oldelkhunter 03-26-2008 02:30 PM

I think Browning thoroughly waterproofs their wood stocks so movement should not be an issue especially with a gun that has a free floated barrel. That said the Medallion if I am not mistaken has a very bright finish which I wouldn't like in a Hunting rifle and I think they went overboard with it. The Abolt synthetic stock is a step up from most synthetic stocks on most factory rifles. It has no seam lines and sounds more solid compared to what I have seen coming from most other manufacturers.

Doe Dumper 03-26-2008 02:35 PM

After I managed to warp a wood stock on an adl I have stayed with the synthetic ones.

Hunting the North 03-26-2008 02:39 PM

After being in the architectural woodwork business for 30 years, I can tell you for a fact, no matter how good a finish is on wood, it will expand, contract, warp, and check with climate changes. A wood finish is also very slippery when wet. I buy all synthetic/ stainless firearms. I really like my Remington 700 XCR in synthetic with the in-layed soft rubber grips at the forearm and around the trigger handle. It has at great gripping actionwhen wet. See attached.

http://www.remington.com/products/firearms/centerfire_rifles/model_700/model_700_XCR.asp

stalkingbear 03-26-2008 03:28 PM

While I agree about sythetic stocks being better for hard use,browning does have epoxy finish on their medallions that is very durable. The way I look at it-if you get a stainless stalker,you'll have a good tool whereas if you get a medallion you'll have a companion that you can be proud of.

eldeguello 03-26-2008 03:35 PM

The West wasn't won WITH A PLASTIC GUN!

DM 03-26-2008 05:44 PM

ORIGINAL: eldeguello

The West wasn't won WITH A PLASTIC GUN!
HA HA HA it "also" wasn't won with about 99.9% of the the guns and yada yada yada... sold these days!

DM

White-tail-deer 03-26-2008 05:48 PM

I have the perfect solution! Buy the .270 in SST/Synthetic and buy the .30-06 in blueing/wood. Problem solved!!:D

rjhans53 03-26-2008 06:03 PM

Ok see ya'll just don't understand the problem. The solution is by the wood and then get a McMillian for the hard use, show it off at the range until a month or so before season, drop it in the McMillian and use it and abuse it. After season, put it back in the pretty, unscratched wood stock and brag on how "this gun" slays em all day long. Problem solved.:)

savage3006 03-26-2008 06:36 PM

Wood looks and feels nicer. Synthethic is cheaper and does not wrap in humid weather, is less maintenance. There are also very nice synthethic and crappy ones like on my Savage, but I like the gun. I guess it does not really matter to me. My rifle is a tool nothing more and as long as it does the job, I am happy.

thndrchiken 03-26-2008 06:38 PM

I prefer synthetic for a primary hunting rig. That being said I find myself reaching for my wood stocked FN 30-06 more often than not for most deer hunting when the weather is nice. Snow or rain it's either laminate or synthetic. Only you can make that choice your the one spending the money.

wyotimberghost 03-26-2008 09:42 PM

Compromise and go for laminate. It still looks and feels good but withstands atmospheric changes better than wood.;)

eldeguello 03-27-2008 04:11 AM

While there is no doubt that the plastic handles are pretty much maintenance-free and more durable (at least some are), I spent three years in Alaska before there were such things, and naturally had to use rifles with wooden stocks. We all survived quite well, even in the coastal regions where the atmosphere is mainly salt spray!

Birchwood-Casey SHEATH kept the steel parts from rusting; Johnson's Paste Floorwax preserved the stocks.....

DM 03-27-2008 07:07 AM

ORIGINAL: wyotimberghost

Compromise and go for laminate. It still looks and feels good but withstands atmospheric changes better than wood.;)
They are also a lot heavier too...

DM

trailer 03-27-2008 07:58 AM

I prefer good quality synthetic and s/s for my hunting rifles, but that’s just me...:D

cjwink 03-27-2008 12:07 PM

270 in wood and 30 06 in synthetic.. :D

vaughnm 03-27-2008 01:14 PM

I should be efficient and go with synthetic but I just love the feel of wood.

mossberghunter93 03-27-2008 02:09 PM

wood

wyotimberghost 03-27-2008 03:38 PM

ORIGINAL: DM

ORIGINAL: wyotimberghost

They are also a lot heavier too...

DM
They weigh more, but I don't think they're that much heavier. I have no problem lugging mine around all day.

mossberghunter93 03-27-2008 04:50 PM

i just like the way wood looks and feels better

Worc 03-28-2008 01:22 PM

I'm just finishing changing all of my bolts from wood to synthetic. The wood looks nicer but for a hunting gun synthetics is the way to go. No more worries about scratching the nice finish on the wood. Others havementioned the no warp of the synthetic which could ruin a hunt with a wood stocked gun. Not all of the synthetic stocks are created equally. Some are made very well and other are made on the cheap side. Hunting has been more enjoyable without the added worries for myself.

Edcyclopedia 03-28-2008 04:56 PM

Wood baby, wood!
By the way...
The average hunter or shooter, and I'll also include most professionals, will not know any difference from wood to synthetic when it come to accuracy.
Too many people believe what they read and don't read into it enough!
Remember most, if not all your accuracy, will come from you (ability) and the ammo you choose.
You want the best accuracy then you'll either spend extra for the best ammo or reload.
So stop splitting "C" hairs and buy the wood already:)

SJAdventures 03-28-2008 07:13 PM

I like the synthetic & SS just for maintenence purposes. Here on the coast in MS you cannot hardly keep bluing from rusting in this humidity and you have to keep an eye on the SS.

CCSD34 03-30-2008 06:43 AM

I too love the look of a wooden stock but get sick when the finish is scratched. I will only have synthetics from now on.