HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   synthetic or wood???? The final decision (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/239269-synthetic-wood-final-decision.html)

eldeguello 03-26-2008 03:35 PM

RE: synthetic or wood???? The final decision

The West wasn't won WITH A PLASTIC GUN!

DM 03-26-2008 05:44 PM

ORIGINAL: eldeguello

The West wasn't won WITH A PLASTIC GUN!
HA HA HA it "also" wasn't won with about 99.9% of the the guns and yada yada yada... sold these days!

DM

White-tail-deer 03-26-2008 05:48 PM

I have the perfect solution! Buy the .270 in SST/Synthetic and buy the .30-06 in blueing/wood. Problem solved!!:D

rjhans53 03-26-2008 06:03 PM

Ok see ya'll just don't understand the problem. The solution is by the wood and then get a McMillian for the hard use, show it off at the range until a month or so before season, drop it in the McMillian and use it and abuse it. After season, put it back in the pretty, unscratched wood stock and brag on how "this gun" slays em all day long. Problem solved.:)

savage3006 03-26-2008 06:36 PM

Wood looks and feels nicer. Synthethic is cheaper and does not wrap in humid weather, is less maintenance. There are also very nice synthethic and crappy ones like on my Savage, but I like the gun. I guess it does not really matter to me. My rifle is a tool nothing more and as long as it does the job, I am happy.

thndrchiken 03-26-2008 06:38 PM

I prefer synthetic for a primary hunting rig. That being said I find myself reaching for my wood stocked FN 30-06 more often than not for most deer hunting when the weather is nice. Snow or rain it's either laminate or synthetic. Only you can make that choice your the one spending the money.

wyotimberghost 03-26-2008 09:42 PM

Compromise and go for laminate. It still looks and feels good but withstands atmospheric changes better than wood.;)

eldeguello 03-27-2008 04:11 AM

While there is no doubt that the plastic handles are pretty much maintenance-free and more durable (at least some are), I spent three years in Alaska before there were such things, and naturally had to use rifles with wooden stocks. We all survived quite well, even in the coastal regions where the atmosphere is mainly salt spray!

Birchwood-Casey SHEATH kept the steel parts from rusting; Johnson's Paste Floorwax preserved the stocks.....

DM 03-27-2008 07:07 AM

ORIGINAL: wyotimberghost

Compromise and go for laminate. It still looks and feels good but withstands atmospheric changes better than wood.;)
They are also a lot heavier too...

DM

trailer 03-27-2008 07:58 AM

I prefer good quality synthetic and s/s for my hunting rifles, but that’s just me...:D