Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Rem. 700 or Browning A-Bolt >

Rem. 700 or Browning A-Bolt

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Rem. 700 or Browning A-Bolt

Old 03-25-2008, 03:07 PM
Fork Horn

Default Rem. 700 or Browning A-Bolt

Me again.....
Getting VERY close to getting my all around deer/hog rifle.
I asked for opinions on whether a Rem. 700 or Ruger M77 would be more accurate out of the box......the opinions seemed to lean HEAVILY towards the Remington 700.
But, I did have several folks suggest the Browning A-Bolt as another option.

So, anyone have any experience with the Rem. 700 and Browning A-Bolt "side by side" as far as out of the box accuracy goes?

I'm looking at the Rem. 700 CDL and the Browning A-Bolt Stainless Stalker both in left handed models.

Any input would be appreciated.

Schoolcraft
Old 03-25-2008, 03:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Rem. 700 or Browning A-Bolt

I was a long time fan of Remington up until their quality started dropping off. I know they still have their following. And I still own a few that are good shooters. But these rifles are at least 25 or more years old. I also have 2 Browning A bolts. Both are good shooters but both of them also need some tweeking. My 7-08 needed a bedding job to increase its potential and my 325WSM needed a trigger job. But both will now shoot sub MOA if I do my part. Frankly if I had to choose one rifle manufacturer for consistant out of the box accuracy it would be Savage. And from what I hear, Tikka and CZ are also getting a good reputation in this department. As for the new Remingtons, they just don't appeal to me anymore.
Old 03-25-2008, 03:58 PM
Fork Horn

Lefty here too. I have a LH A-Bolt and an older LH Rem700 and they both shoot well. I wouldn't rule out Savage either. I have 3 LH Savages and they shoot very well.
Old 03-25-2008, 04:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bronko22000

I was a long time fan of Remington up until their quality started dropping off. I know they still have their following. And I still own a few that are good shooters. But these rifles are at least 25 or more years old. I also have 2 Browning A bolts. Both are good shooters but both of them also need some tweeking. My 7-08 needed a bedding job to increase its potential and my 325WSM needed a trigger job. But both will now shoot sub MOA if I do my part. Frankly if I had to choose one rifle manufacturer for consistant out of the box accuracy it would be Savage. And from what I hear, Tikka and CZ are also getting a good reputation in this department. As for the new Remingtons, they just don't appeal to me anymore.
Thats weird, considering the A-Bolts are glass bedded from the factory...

The Remington CDL would be the only new Remington I would consider buying these days.

I have 2 A-Bolts that shoot really well, and I have a Savage that shoots really well. The stocks on the Savages leave alot to be desired, and by the time you upgrade the factory "tupperware" stock you just as well bought a better gun, like an A-Bolt.
Old 03-25-2008, 04:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

Have you thought about Tikkas? Theres some on GunBroker right now for great deals ($379) for synthetic leftys.
Old 03-25-2008, 04:50 PM
Fork Horn

wow.....I'm a little let down about what I continue to hear about Remington's quality dropping off. Kinda' makes me lean towards the Browning.

Keep the opinions coming PLEASE!
Old 03-25-2008, 06:08 PM
Typical Buck

I have astainless stalker a-bolt and like it alot. Shoots at or under 1" with its preferred ammo($40 box[:@]). That said, if I could do it again, I would have got a CZ.

I have only seen a couple cz's, but they have been exceptional shooters and were not nearly as picky about the ammo as my abolt(non BOSS).
Old 03-25-2008, 06:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

You can't go wrong with any of the 3 choices.
Every gun manufacturer has their lemons for whatever reasons.
Example: I had a friend that got a nice Weatherbee as a present from his Dad and that gun could not group better than 4" @ 100 yards.
Same friend traded it in, for a Winchester and 3" groups.
Now he has a Remington 7600 and it shots 1 1/2" groups.
FYI - Many of us tried his gun and with many diferent ammo selections with the same results.
Sometimes you just get a lemon, all the guns mentioned are good.
For a referance... I happen to hunt with either with a 700 mtn. (.270) rifle or BAR (.30-06).
However my best grouping gun is my muzzleloader @ 100 yards, strange hah?
Old 03-25-2008, 06:51 PM

I own Brownings and I own Remingtons.....

I would go with the Browning.

MET

Old 03-25-2008, 08:09 PM

ORIGINAL: MichaelT.

I own Brownings and I own Remingtons.....

I would go with the Browning.

MET
Ditto

Quick Reply: Rem. 700 or Browning A-Bolt

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.