Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Rem. 700 or Browning A-Bolt >

Rem. 700 or Browning A-Bolt

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Rem. 700 or Browning A-Bolt

Old 03-25-2008, 08:57 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Rem. 700 or Browning A-Bolt

Had good luck with my Remington model 700xcr in 270wsm out of the box. Has been very accurate for me.
Old 03-26-2008, 01:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

Rammer, abolts come glass bedded at the recoil lug and in front of the receiver. I assume bronko2200 had the action bedded. I did this with my medallion, my partner has done all 3 of his medallions as well...wood stock.

Iagree the tupperware savage leaves a lotto be desired. Howeverthe browning stalker IMHO isn't the mark of perfection either. I am really not a fan ofplastic stocks, however not my rifle. Abolts are a fine rifle and the ones i've been around have been plenty accurate. I don't consider trigger work to be a big deal as the 700, Abolt or M77I have owned all required some tweaking to get them tomy likes. My advice is the same as it was in the ruger vs rem post, buy the one that fits and feel the best.
Old 03-26-2008, 08:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

Out of the box a Browning Abolt will beat most Remington 700's in accuracy. They are built a lot better and a lot of attention is paid to the crown and chambering as well asthe recoil lug bedding. Run a cleaning patch thru a remington bore and browning bore and see how much smoother the browning is. I have had/have 2 Aboltsand they are not a perfect rifle but aremuch better then a 700 from the factory. If remington had the same attention paid to detail they would be pretty much unbeatable value. Re mingtons as they leave the factory are a work in progress and usually in a lot of cases end up at a gunmiths for further tweaking or complete reconstruction. They keep a lot of gunsmiths in business.The only thing I have done to my Brownings has been the Timney Trigger spring and that is it.
Old 03-26-2008, 09:46 AM

I have several of both.

Most all of my Remingtons either are or soon will be customized. The Abolts I own are mostly stock/ as they came from the factory. You can't beat a remington if you intend to spend money on customization. There are more aftermarket parts for remington 700's than any other. Also, all Benchrest actions are basically clones of the 700. they are milled to tighter specs obviously. The 700 has tremendous accuracy potential. The problem I see with factory rifles is that the barrels are quite rough. they foul like crazy and accuracy is inconsistant.

If you plan to leave the rifle as is I would probably lean towards the Browning

Old 03-26-2008, 02:56 PM
Fork Horn

I bought a Remington 700 XCR last year in 30-06 in it shoots clover leaf groups with off the shelf Federal Power shock ammo. I also hear good things about the A-Bolt. Best thing to do is shoulder both of them, and go with the on that feels more comfortable to you. I was in the same boat as you and was debating between the same two rifles. I went with the Rem 700 because of the fit, and comfort of the stock Limbsaver recoil pad.
Old 03-27-2008, 06:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

In response to Rammer. Yes you are correct. The A-bolts are glass bedded. But that doesn't mean it wasdone right. The factory bedding left a bit of 'play' in the action and a bit more bedding was needed to have it lay in the stock correctly. Once that was done, the rifle shot great.
Like my original posts stated. I own Remingtons, Brownings and Savages. And for consistant 'out of the box' accuracy - even with the less than ideal stocks, the Savages win. Now the Brownings, after the work, shoot on par with them. My one Remington, a 700 BDL in 270 which I bought in the early 70's will out shoot all of them. This rifle has shot 3/8" 5 shot groups.
Old 03-28-2008, 02:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

LOL In spite of the high cost of the Remmy's now and an obvious drop off in exterior quality control all 6 of my 700'S are some shooting sob's!!! Trigger jobs done on all 6 are the extent of the mods. All will easily group under 1.5 all day any day... I dont know if I could afford one now but I usually buy used guns anyways..lol.
Old 03-28-2008, 09:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a Browning A-bolt Hunter in the .243 with a Leupold scope and 2 nice 8-Point Bucks on my wall....my vote is for any Browning A-bolt you decide to get!