Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Cheap O/U

Old 03-24-2008, 06:37 PM
Spike

Default Cheap O/U

Im looking at getting a new over and under for trap shooting without spending too much money. Anyone ever shot the mossberg silver reserve or remington spr?
Old 03-24-2008, 06:42 PM
Spike

Default RE: Cheap O/U

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.a...=&#2559958
Old 03-24-2008, 08:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Look at the Traditions field hunter 2. I have had mine for 6 years and hasn't failed me in the rabbit patch yet!!
Old 03-25-2008, 07:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Check out the Stoeger Condor. They seems to get good reviews. I have a freind with one and he loves it. i am looking at getting one in 20 ga.
Old 03-25-2008, 08:32 AM

U should try the stoeger Condor it is pretty cheap for an O/U
Old 03-25-2008, 01:51 PM
Typical Buck

Used skb, used browning, or a used beretta. The others(atleast mossberg, remington, stoeger)all have had problems with extensive use. I have never seen a traditions o/u.

The cheaper o/u's hold up well enough for hunting and occasional(once or twice a year before dove season)throwing targets with some friends. If you start trap shooting even just afew thousand rounds a year through one the shortcomings will show up in a hurry.

Verona also makes a decent o/u for the money.
Old 03-25-2008, 07:13 PM

hoss is right on about this one. If you were going to blast a few rabbits every year, I'd say go for a cheap over and under, but not on a trap or skeet range. I've personally seen several of the cheap Russian over and unders die on skeet and trap ranges. They won't hold up to the pounding these guns take.

As a side not, I avoid used trap and skeet guns like the plague. They can look lightly used on the outside, but have thousand of rounds through them. I saw my dad wear a Beretta skeet gun out out internally, but from the outside it would have passed for lightly used.
Old 03-26-2008, 08:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

www.cdnninvestments.com and download their catalog in PDF format.If you cant afford a 1000+ plus model there are a few here that are worthwhile . O/U and SxS shotguns require a lot of hand fitting and complicated machining to produce you don't need the engraving or gold inlays or fine filligrees on the operating lever but you sure want a solid gun especially if you don't want to buy one twice. I would look for a used SKB or Charles Daly (Miroku) which can be found. The Miroku Daly is the Japanese copy of the Browning Superposed and will last a couple of lifetimes and are usually reasonably priced. Another quality O/U is a Ruger Red Label if you go to any gunshows you can pick one up at a reasonable cost. I have a 28 gauge o/u Red Label that I wouldn't trade for anything right now in its price range.Ruger out of all the american manufacturers has the best customer service and will back up anything they made.
Old 03-27-2008, 02:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

There's such a wide range of quality when it comes to O/Us that the old saw "you get what you pay for" could never be more true.

I've "borrowed" a Mossberg and a Remington both while their owners "borrowed" my Beretta. Of course, there was a huge difference between the three. Chasing pheasants I doubt It would have been as significant, but on the trap range it was clear why the Beretta was three times as expensive as the other two. I felt like I had to pry my Beretta out of their hands just to get it back.

If you're serious about shooting trap, spend some coin. If you're just planning on throwing a few clays out on your back forty every so often and doing a bit of hunting now and then, you'd probably be fine spending considerably less with the others mentioned.

Old 03-27-2008, 01:18 PM

Check into getting a used Verona. Made by I Rizzini of Italy and they are nice guns. You could probably get a nice 500 series 12 ga foraround $500 since PMC no longer imports them and they are now sold direct in theUSunder the manufacturers trade name, FAIR.

Quick Reply: Cheap O/U

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.