Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Skeet gun... >

Skeet gun...

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Skeet gun...

Old 03-20-2008, 03:54 PM

Default Skeet gun...

Iam just getting into skeet shooting and was wondering which gun that is fairly affordable. I currently have a Winchester Pump gun in 12 guage and Iam looking for a semi-auto

Thanks for your help guys.

Russell
Old 03-20-2008, 04:41 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Skeet gun...

You won't see too many people shooting any sizable amount of Skeet or Trap with a semi auto. If you want to play with the big boys it's gonna cost you about $1,000 and believe me that ischeap when your talking about this sport. Your best bet is to get an over under. I imagine you can still find a decent usedBrowning for around $1k. If your talking about going out back with a hand thrower thats a different story. Heck any shot gun with a modified choke will do maybe even an improved cylinder
Old 03-20-2008, 05:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Look for a Remington tournament skeet ..beautiful wood and a step up from their regular 1100's
Old 03-20-2008, 05:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

When I started shooting skeet and sporting clays 15 years ago, I started with a Browning Citori 12 ga., but I found the Browning to be "clubby". My second sport specific shotgun was a Beretta 686 Silver Pigeon Sporting 12 ga, and I wish I had that gun back. I had a guy walk up and offer me $300 more than I paid for it, and I let him take it home. I don't shoot as much as I used to, and I have used my Benelli Super 90 for the last several years. I also have a Beretta 686 Onyx 12 ga with an English stock, but I am quite comfortable with my Benelli for an all around shotgun.

I am not knocking Brownings, and I have no experience with the newer "sporting" models. The older Citoris do not fit me though.
Old 03-20-2008, 05:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

Skeet and affordable really don't belong in the same sentence.

It really isn't a "skeet" specific gun but the Beretta 3901 statesman with a 28" barrelwill get you going with out breaking the bank too much. They go for about $700. It is a good solid semi auto with a very simple and very reliable gas system that uses no o-rings to seal off gas. It also makes a great dove gun.

http://berettausa.com/product/product_field_guns_main.htm

Old 03-20-2008, 06:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigbulls

Skeet and affordable really don't belong in the same sentence.

It really isn't a "skeet" specific gun but the Beretta 3901 statesman with a 28" barrelwill get you going with out breaking the bank too much. They go for about $700. It is a good solid semi auto with a very simple and very reliable gas system that uses no o-rings to seal off gas. It also makes a great dove gun.

http://berettausa.com/product/product_field_guns_main.htm

Great suggestion! I have never own one, but I have shot many Beretta autos and like them all.
Old 03-20-2008, 06:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

Nothing wrong with starting out with a Remington 1100...
Old 03-20-2008, 07:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

Nothing wrong with starting out with a Remington 1100...
WHile I think the Beretta is a better semi then a Remington in a lot of situations when it comes to a dedicated skeet gun the Tournament skeet series guns they sell offers a much better package for skeet shooters and are designed soley for that purpose. I purchased one last year that was the best made 1100 I have ever owned with absolutely beautiful wood. It comes standard with Briley Chokes as well. They swing and pattern beautifully and no you don't need a o/u to shoot skeet.
Old 03-20-2008, 08:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

I personally feel that the Beretta semi-auto's feel terrible, they feel bulky and heavy and just kinda awkward. The Benelli SuperSport and Cordoba both are awesome in terms of feel and balance. I shoot a 1100 that works great if its kept clean. I also have a Browning Citori Lighting Sporting Clays gun, but I never seemed to shoot it as well as the 1100, so I went back to the 1100 for clays.
Old 03-20-2008, 08:48 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: jeepkid

I personally feel that the Beretta semi-auto's feel terrible, they feel bulky and heavy and just kinda awkward. The Benelli SuperSport and Cordoba both are awesome in terms of feel and balance. I shoot a 1100 that works great if its kept clean. I also have a Browning Citori Lighting Sporting Clays gun, but I never seemed to shoot it as well as the 1100, so I went back to the 1100 for clays.
I had the opposite experience. I started out shooting sporting clays with an 11-87, and hit a kind of scoring plateau. I switched to a Browning Citori Special Sporting Clays, and my scores instantly improved by about 20%...

Quick Reply: Skeet gun...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.