Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Gun  Inheritance Help ?!? >

Gun Inheritance Help ?!?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Gun Inheritance Help ?!?

Old 03-10-2008, 06:06 PM

Default Gun Inheritance Help ?!?

I recently inherited a few guns. I'd like to find out some background and hopefully ages and worthon them. I am an avide hunter and feel that I have decent knowledge about modern firearms (hunting firearms). Can anyone offer any advice or info on these that are before my time?? These look to be the oldest. Thedouble barrel seems very old. They have greatsentimental value regardless of their dollar worth. So, I'm not interested in selling, just curious. Here is some info on a couple......

Humpback 12 gauge auto: Fabrique Nationale D'Armes De Qurre Herstal
Browning's Patent Made in Belguim Modified 12 Special Steel

Double Barrel Side by Side, Double Trigger 12gauge: RICHARD DB Twist Belguim

.22 Rifle: Remington Speedmaster Model 552

12 guage Pump: Winchester Featherweight Model 12

Old 03-10-2008, 06:55 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Gun Inheritance Help ?!?

Well the humpback auto is probably a copy of the Browning auto-5 and most likely only worth a couple hundred $. Not sure on the SxS. The .22 will likely bring in the neighborhood of $100. The last one is by far the most desireable of the ones you listed. The model 12 was highly regarded as a fine pump gun and some people crave them. And the featherweight model was a good field gun. I would suggest you go to walmart and grab a copy of the latest gun traders digest and look up the prices. These figures are usually inflated but you can usually get about 75% of the values listed.
Old 03-10-2008, 06:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't know exact values but the old browning auto 5 was/is a good shooting gun if you like long recoil operated action shotguns. The double barrel is wallhanger only,remington 552 is an excellent .22 semiauto and the only commerically successful semi that will shoot .22 shorts,long,and long rifle cartridges. Thewinchester model 12 was the all time best and smoothest pump EVER made,and was dropped from production when the bean counters discovered how much forgings and hand fitting added to manufacturing costs.
Old 03-11-2008, 05:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

Well the humpback auto is probably a copy of the Browning auto-5 and most likely only worth a couple hundred $.
[/b]

That "hump-back" IS a Browning Auto 5, made in Belgium, NOT a copy of an Auto 5! It is worth whatever 12-ga. Auto-5's in its' condition are bringing today. Check them out on some gun auction sites!
Old 03-11-2008, 04:22 PM

Thanks for the help!!!!! Any opinions on a Marlin Model 336 .35 dated 1960???
Old 03-11-2008, 07:14 PM
Typical Buck

That Marlin is a dang fine deer rifle and a great caliber too.
Old 03-11-2008, 09:57 PM

In most cases, the value of the gun is directly related to the condition of the gun. You can get Ranges on these guns, but it would not mean much..... Such as the Browning 12 ga., the age and condition are the determining factors. We already know it is Belgium made, and that means something, but you can age the gun according to the serial number. The one I have was made in 1939. It is Belgium made. and The range on these shot guns runs from 200.00 up to 900.00 roughly.

You can go to some shotgun websites that have a good following and find a Browning section in the gun values section and they can tell you lots about that Browning. They did for me.

Do a search for Shotgun websites, and happy hunting.

Old 03-12-2008, 04:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: South County

Thanks for the help!!!!! Any opinions on a Marlin Model 336 .35 dated 1960???
In excellent or better condition, your 336 is worth $300.00-$350.00, depending on where you are located. Such rifles are more popular in areas where big game hunting is in thick woods and shots are at shorter ranges. The .35 Rem. is a much better cartridge than the .30/30.
Old 03-13-2008, 08:48 AM

A Belgian A-5 in my area will bring $600-$800 depending on, condition, vent or solid rib, round grip, or square, etc. I was at an auction weekend before last, they sold a speedmaster for $325, it was pretty much mint. The Model 12, again depending on condition and grade, could go from $600 to over a grand. The side by side, being Belgian, could go overa grand as well, though I have never heard of the maker.
Old 03-13-2008, 07:23 PM
Fork Horn

Speedmaster ...depends if it is a BDL model or a standard 552. BDL's will bring upwards of $325.00 (high gloss, checkering and fixed iron sights).Generally a standard speedmaster is worth around $200.00 in good shape.