Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Tikka T3 Synthetic/Stainless In 300 WSM >

Tikka T3 Synthetic/Stainless In 300 WSM

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Tikka T3 Synthetic/Stainless In 300 WSM

Old 03-12-2008, 12:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Tikka T3 Synthetic/Stainless In 300 WSM

ORIGINAL: Retaks

ORIGINAL: oldelkhunter

If this is your first rifle, you might want to get something a little more forgiving on your shoulder. No need to develop bad habits at a young age.
On the positive side it might Knock some sense into him and a t3 in 300 wsm will do just that.
My Tikka T3 Lite Stainless in 300 WSM knocked some sense into my little brother. He is 6' 2" and 180 pounds. He only shoots rifles that are a 270 or smaller now. im 5' 10" and 155 pounds and i have no problem with it. If you know how to shoot and handle recoil it wont be a problem but if you dont know how to properly handle the recoil you will regret pulling the trigger.
In a previous post he stated a BAR 300win knocked him, so i think it's pretty safe to say the T3 in 300wsm...just might not be the right choices.

To avoid more redundancy my new approach is: [&:]

GET ONE, it's obvious your set on a 300wsm. No matter how you change the words thereplies remain the same,it's obvious you are timid of the potential recoil. I don't think anyone here truly believes this is the best choice for a young hunter...however its not our decision to make, that rest in your hands and shoulder. Pick the best fitting rifle, forget the brand persay, just shoulder them and go on feel and as important fit. Then have a gunsmith install a good recoil pad and adjust the length of pull accordingly (if required). Put a good eye relief scope on it, load it in whatever manner you want and get shooting. Sorry but it obvious your not interested in opinions persay but rather blessings..so all the best and enjoy.
Old 03-12-2008, 03:46 PM

Ok but skeeter Is a 3-9X50 a good scope i plan on getting it in Bushnell Trophey Or Legend
Old 03-12-2008, 09:27 PM
Typical Buck

I almost bought a Tika also ,.
They finaly got some in at Gander a few years ago ,
I herd a lot of good things abought them .
Only thing I didnt like was the bolt action just seam noisy and almost to loose ?
Just my 2 cents .
I ended up buying a Browning classic in 300wsm. . I luv it .
Great shooting gun with zero complaints ,
I ve had it 2 seasons now .
I put a Leopold VX 11 3-9X40 MM on it .
It does cost more but it will be a gun and calber that will shoot any bear, deer or most any big game with no problems..[8D]
Old 03-12-2008, 11:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: ox1443

Ok but skeeter Is a 3-9X50 a good scope i plan on getting it in Bushnell Trophey Or Legend
No 50mm, it will cause you to have to mount the scope higher. Often leads to head cant or poor cheek weld. Which can affect shootability and mayincrease the chance of getting kissed by the scope.With new/young shooter with CF I personally put them on my fixed leupold M8 which has a 32mm, allowing them to stay down and in contact with the comb.I know you have shooting experience soa 3x9x40mm be the way to go.If you want light gathering spend more money on your scope and if need be less on the rifle.

I have looked/shot the banner's...didn't like it personally but I'm not you. Word to the wise if you choose the Banner D 2 D be sure to buy the 4" banner as they make several 3x9x40 models and they have different ER values.

Never looked through the Legend, looks as though its a step up from the banner. According to the specs 3.5" of ER with the 3x9x40 model.

As far as Bushnell I have used/like the 3200 and 4200 elites. They are marginally less in ER at 3.3" with the 3x9x40mm models but optically and structurally well built.I say this is a better route but you'll have to dig a little deeper in the piggy back. If 300ish is within your grasp check out SIR mailorder out of winnipeg, just noticed they have the 4200 elite 3x9x4200. It'll outperform the lower end 50mm by a long shot in good and low light conditions.I'd prefereither on a heavier recoiling rifle vs the entry levels. Prior to the the recent 08' release of elite 6500 this was bushnells top of the line scope. Hard pressed to find a scope optically that'll meet or beat it for this money. Only knock is ER but .2" isn't enough to sway me to suggest otherwise.

Alot of people here like/suggest nikons, problem is finding them in Sask. is tough. North Pro Sports in s'toon carries them however I'd call first to find out what they have in stock. SIR has good stock but returning them is a hassle and you'll be subject to a re-stocking fee. I don't suggest buying without looking but that's your decision as well.

Once you have the gun and scope figured out don't chimp on the mounts(rings and bases). I don't like standard weavers, if you want weavers get the grand slam steel mounts not the alum. Personally on anything above rimfires i use only leupold and warnes. These have both been excellent and never had an issue...about the right comprimise for me for performance vs price. You can certainly spend more though. If you end up with a Tikka, tikka/sako ownersuse/like optilocks.Don't owntikkas or sakosso just observationbased.
Old 03-13-2008, 01:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just my .02 cents worth. Stay away from the Bushnell Trophy. Never heard anything about the legend. The only 2 Bushnells I would consider putting on a rifle would be the 3200 and 4200 series. Might want to check out a Nikon Buckmasters, lots better scope for the money.
Old 03-13-2008, 09:54 PM

This is tri-dundant. You have obviously spent a lot of time researching and hopefully shouldering these rifles. Write down on paper what you want. First pick the caliber. Sounds like you want a 300WSM so stick with it. Its a great round, many people love it (including myself), a notch or two above or below is not going to make that big of difference. Next pick the rifle. If you want the tikka, get it. You will not be disappointed.

Not to throw another wrench into the equation, but here goes. Take all the money that you were going to spend on a new rifle and buy some great glass and mount it on your existing rifle. If I remember, you have an '06 or access to one. Slap on a Zeiss conquest or VXIII and go shooting for a year or so. Save the rest of your money, get comfortable with your decision and get a rifle next year. This way you will have a top notch scope, and rifle to match it.
Old 03-14-2008, 03:01 PM

i have a Leupold VX-L 3.5-10X50 on my browning already and that was a 1,084 doller investment haha
Old 03-14-2008, 03:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: ox1443

i have a Leupold VX-L 3.5-10X50 on my browning already and that was a 1,084 doller investment haha
I'm sorry I'm confused as nothing is adding up?[] You already have a browning with a Leuy VXL, is thisyour new set up or the one you have use of? In any regard after looking through even a leuy you'd probably know that the low end bushy's you mentioned aren't worth a hoot.

If in reference to the 50mm being to high, the VXL allows you to mount the 50mm as low as a 40 mm...this is not the case with any other 50mm though. Furthermore to spend 1000 on it because of this fact is a waste of money as their are 40mm that will outperform it for less. Likethe 4200 elite I mentioned, though personally I'd pick the 3x9x40 Zeiss conquest b/c it allows 4" of constant eye relief as well as superior optics to the VXL. It can be had anywhere in canada for under 600, that includes "No Sale" sports.

BTW I am thinking your full of chit!

Notice to reader: * See first line and repeat if necessary *

Old 03-18-2008, 09:12 PM
Spike

Stick with the 300wsm. I bought a Savage and dressed it with leupold ring and bases and a zeiss conquest scope. I handload with 168gr. a-max's and its an absolute tackdriver. Im printing 1 hole (3 bullets)at 100yds. My friend has a browning 300wsm and my savagewill outshoot his browning.I know that may cause an arguement but it's 100% true.Savage has come a long way in the past couple years and i would never doubt their product. But I can't make your decision for you, just adding my .02 worth
Old 07-27-2008, 02:40 AM
Spike

Just to throw in i have a tikka t3 lite black syn ss .243 with Tasco worldclass 3-9x40 cost me new $1100Au.
Ok the gun is a performer and the scope is cheap at $150Au but im only looking to place a slug not bird watching

Quick Reply: Tikka T3 Synthetic/Stainless In 300 WSM

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.