Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 25-06 and its effectiveness on Deer >

25-06 and its effectiveness on Deer

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

25-06 and its effectiveness on Deer

Old 03-10-2008, 05:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 25-06 and its effectiveness on Deer

ORIGINAL: oldelkhunter

Speaking of BS, I think you may get a kick out of this thread oldelk....
Lot's of Koolaid drinkers there as well I see and to think I almost bought one a few months ago. Did you like all the Sako inferences? Sako owns the company and supplies them with the barrels. That is about it.
Yeah I gave up trying on that thread. I have more rounds thru a Tikka barrel than many many many people out there. I'd be willing to bet I am in a small percentage of shooters that has put 4k thru a Tikka barrel. That one guy kept calling me a liar, and how he is shooting .184" groups consistently. There is only so much BS that can go around before someone needs to throw the Bull**** Flag.
Old 03-10-2008, 08:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Anyone who doubts this round has never shot one.
Old 03-11-2008, 12:18 PM
Typical Buck

Works fine on elk,black bear and moose as well with premium handloaded bullets of course! Harold
Old 03-11-2008, 12:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

The round is adequate for deer. But definitely not nominal. If you are not recoil shy then why shoot the son when you can shoot the dad(30-06). The recoil from a hot 120 grain pill is not going to be very different than a load from a 150 grain 30-06. There is more recoil difference form the type of firearm used, rather than the difference between the caliber's.

IMO the better cartridge is the 260 Remington. It is better because it is a short action round, so for a hunting rifle you can carry a lighter rifle. Since the 25-06 is still a long action-hence heavier rifle.

Recoil is a function of rifle design, rifle weight, and whether it is ported or not. A heavier cartridge can have less recoil in the properly prepared rifle. So why handicap yourself with a long action rifle when a 30-06 clearly does a better job.

Also with the heavier cartridges there is no need to spend ridiculous amounts of money on "A Frame" bullets. Just to shoot a deer. Not necessary.

I hope no one brings up the trajectory bit. You either know your rifle and how to shoot it, or you do not. a few inches of drop are not going to make a big difference. A 165 grain bullet in a 30-06 is deadly on deer with no hold over or under out to 300 yards. If you shoot past 300 yards then you better know your rifle. And if you are shooting over 300 yards then I would definitely recommend the heavier bullets. Tom.
Old 03-11-2008, 12:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: HEAD0001

I hope no one brings up the trajectory bit. You either know your rifle and how to shoot it, or you do not. a few inches of drop are not going to make a big difference. A 165 grain bullet in a 30-06 is deadly on deer with no hold over or under out to 300 yards. If you shoot past 300 yards then you better know your rifle. And if you are shooting over 300 yards then I would definitely recommend the heavier bullets. Tom.
The plain and simple fact of the matter is that I'd wager a fair 75% of the deer (and that maybe conservitive) shot in this country and Canada are taken at ranges under 200 yards. Some of you guys out west certainly do shoot a lot of deer at ranges greater than that, but a lot of you also have magnum rifles you use for big game hunting. Most of the whitetails in the this country that get shot with rifles get shot in the south, which is the land of long seasons, liberal bag limits and super thick swamps. The amount of hunters who think they need a super lazer flat trajectory to shoot deer inside 200 yards (and the # of hunters who think 200 yards is "long range shooting") really blows my mind.
Old 03-11-2008, 01:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

The round is adequate for deer. But definitely not nominal. If you are not recoil shy then why shoot the son when you can shoot the dad(30-06). The recoil from a hot 120 grain pill is not going to be very different than a load from a 150 grain 30-06. There is more recoil difference form the type of firearm used, rather than the difference between the caliber's.

We are going to have toagree to disagree there ...I can't even fathom how light the recoil is on a 25-06 . My longest 2 shots are 200 yards and 170 yards on a whitetail deer.I'll bet most average 30 yards or even less as I am predominately a woods hunter .My longest shot on a mule deer was 350 yards. It's also a dual duty coyote rifle and I can't imagine hunting coyotes with a 30-06
Old 03-11-2008, 10:20 PM

Hunting coyotes with 30/06?? What's hard to believe about that? Tell me all the animals that haven't been hunted successfully by the 30/06? I've shot several coyotes with /06...some at considerable range. Loaded with some of the lighter bullets, the /06 is both fast and flat...favored requirements of a coyote rifle. And Lord knows the /06 is deadly when it arrives. This is something the lighter and more traditional varmint rifles can't always boast.

I never use the word "can't" in a sentence with 30/06. It's the poster child for the "Can Do" rifle.
Old 03-11-2008, 11:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: oldelkhunter

We are going to have toagree to disagree there ...I can't even fathom how light the recoil is on a 25-06 . My longest 2 shots are 200 yards and 170 yards on a whitetail deer.I'll bet most average 30 yards or even less as I am predominately a woods hunter .My longest shot on a mule deer was 350 yards. It's also a dual duty coyote rifle and I can't imagine hunting coyotes with a 30-06

If we did not disagree then it would not be any fun. I did not even mention the 125 grain pill in the 30-06. And I just do not believe there is a lot of recoil difference, especially if you shoot the 125 from the 30-06, and the 120 grain pill in the 25-06.

And as far as Coyote's is concerned, I thought the post was about deer??? And I would also think that the 30-06 is a better pelt rifle??? If compared to the 25-06. I know a few pelt hunter's who like the larger caliber's for collecting pelt's. I would think a 25-06 would tear a pelt up??? Tom.
Old 03-12-2008, 12:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

The 2506 is a great double duty rifle for coyotes and deer. Personally wouldn't change itor feel out done by the3006.

As far as the 3006 you may or may not get the 125 to shoot worth a damn in your rifle. Just b/c they offer the bullet doesn't mean you can use it. I know a lot of 3006 lovers here and everywhere. WhileI agree it's a good cartridge its not a love mine and I see no need to ever own another frankly. Thanks for the case but I'll neck it differently .

Old 03-12-2008, 07:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

Hunting coyotes with 30/06?? What's hard to believe about that? Tell me all the animals that haven't been hunted successfully by the 30/06? I've shot several coyotes with /06...some at considerable range. Loaded with some of the lighter bullets, the /06 is both fast and flat...favored requirements of a coyote rifle. And Lord knows the /06 is deadly when it arrives. This is something the lighter and more traditional varmint rifles can't always boast.
You can use whatever you want on a Coyote but I will take the light recoiling flat shooting cartridge anytime.. A lot of 30-06's do not like anything lighter then a 150 and I found that out to be fact even though loading manuals are filled with info about them but the twist rate on most 30-06 barrels calls for a 150 grain or more bullet for best accuracy. Heck if I want a flat shooting 30 for coyotes I'll use my 300 mags.

Quick Reply: 25-06 and its effectiveness on Deer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.