HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Encore oversized hinge pin? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/235948-encore-oversized-hinge-pin.html)

hunter5325 03-05-2008 02:07 PM

Encore oversized hinge pin?

I'm having trouble with the groups out of my 25-06 Encore. On most all of my 5 shot groups I will have a flier or two about 2.5"-3.5" away from the rest of the group. Besides the fliers this gun does around .75" with a number of handloads. I'm starting to think slop in the hinge pin might be a culprit. Do the oversized pins actually help and if so which brand? Any help is appreciated. Brett

cjwink 03-05-2008 02:46 PM

RE: Encore oversized hinge pin?

I think you can buy a locking pin for it.. I have heard they work great..

HEAD0001 03-05-2008 02:51 PM

I have the oversized hinge pin on mine. I do not know if it has helped or not.

Normally a flyer with the Encore is due to the forearm. Forearm position on the sand bag's is very important. You almost have to make the rifle front heavy on the front bag to wring out the best accuracy. Unless you floated or bedded your forearm properly a bipod is a NoNo.

I own several Encore's. And I really like them. But IMO they are a hunting rig, not a bench rest rig. Tom.

retrieverman 03-05-2008 02:59 PM

I have Bellm oversize hinge pins in all 3 of my Encores. I don't have a "flyer" problem, but I can't say if it is the hinge pin though.

bigcountry 03-05-2008 03:16 PM

I have the oversized pin on mine. I also have the hole in the action and barrel, milled to be exact diameter within .0005". I also put in pillars in the forearm. My 204 ruger was getting 2-3MOA before, and now gets an honest .5MOA most of the time. Alot of work for a varmit killing pokestalker.

Antler Eater 03-05-2008 03:20 PM

I would call the hinge pin on my Encore loose but I wouldn't term it as sloppy. I have two factory barrelswhere I wasn't please with their accuracy. The Forend Hanger Bar from Stratton Custom T/C brought both barrels to sub moa.

You can check it out at strattoncustom.com.

caribou_sniper 03-05-2008 06:16 PM

I would start by measuring your headspace. Some barrel/frame combinations can have excessive headspace. This will cause inconsistancy. It is possible to shim for excess headspace. Headspace should be kept to a minimum (.001"). I have seen headspace fits of .015". Also check for forend rubbing, especially where the forend overlaps the frame. The hinge pin can be taped into position; this will ensure it is not shifting side to side or rotating. This is basically what the locker pin accomplish.

If you choose to go to an oversized pin, the frame and barrel should be reamed to match the oversized pin dimension.

Also, check the tightness of the shoulder stock, I have seen a loose shoulder stock cause inconsistancy.

SwampCollie 03-05-2008 06:53 PM

I have a 2x pin in mine.... still a turd.