Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 .270-308 Do we need one? >

.270-308 Do we need one?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

.270-308 Do we need one?

Old 03-11-2008, 07:27 PM
Spike

Default RE: .270-308 Do we need one?

Sorry, I was just looking at bullets that are known for having high ballistic coefficients like the Ballistic Tips that you specified the first time around. I admit utter defeat. You have bigger bulls than me.
Old 03-11-2008, 08:10 PM
Boone & Crockett

I am sure the above was "tongue in cheek" but any way, I wasn't trying to "defeat" you. Just point out that things can be shifted around to make the results come out any way that one would want them to. To make a 100% fair comparison all variables must be removed.

Like I said,I do understand your point here though.
Old 03-11-2008, 08:27 PM
Spike

Thanks for understanding. If you remember, I agreed with you that any difference isn't going to amount to anything anybody will notice in the field at normal hunting ranges. I was just trying to point out that in the common weights listed, .277 bullets tend to have lower S.D.'s, and that most of thetime the most aerodynamic bullets available tend to be .264 or.284 caliber. I don't think this is too much to ask for some agreement on. All of this was in an attempt to provide evidence of why I believe there isn't a NEED for a .27-08, which was my answer to the original post. I won't post on this again, as I doubt anything will be resolved from it anyway.
Old 03-11-2008, 08:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

Yes, I agree that for what ever reason bullet manufacturers tend to make bullets in .264 and .284 diamaters more aerodynamic than any other bullet diameters. I don't know why they do this but they do.

I will stand by my post saying that if the 7mm guys got the .280 when we already had the .270 then the .270 guys should get the 270-08 when we already have the 7mm-08.

I won't post on this again, as I doubt anything will be resolved from it anyway.
Look at it this way. All of those people out there that didn't know anythingabout SD, BC, ogives, bullet diameter, boat tails, etc... etc... learned something with all of us "arguing" about all of this stuff. It's all for fun any way.
Old 03-13-2008, 11:18 AM

[quote]ORIGINAL: bigbulls

Why don't we all just shoot .22lr, .223, 30-06, .338 win mag, .375 H&H and the .416 Rigby. No manufacturer would need to ever offer us anything else, everyone could hunt anything on the planet, and we would never ever need to question why the world needs "X" cartridge when we already have "Z, Y, Q, A, G, R" cartridges. [&:] Every one go throw away every rifle that you own that isn't chambered in one of these six cartridges right now.

We need it because there are people that want it and this is America dang it.

Just let me know where they're being thrown away. I'll pick up all of your unwanted guns.
Old 03-14-2008, 01:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm a 7mm guy and a I say no you'll never get a 270/308 just because you didn't say pretty please.

ORIGINAL: bigbulls

Yes, I agree that for what ever reason bullet manufacturers tend to make bullets in .264 and .284 diamaters more aerodynamic than any other bullet diameters. I don't know why they do this but they do.

I will stand by my post saying that if the 7mm guys got the .280 when we already had the .270 then the .270 guys should get the 270-08 when we already have the 7mm-08.

I won't post on this again, as I doubt anything will be resolved from it anyway.
Look at it this way. All of those people out there that didn't know anythingabout SD, BC, ogives, bullet diameter, boat tails, etc... etc... learned something with all of us "arguing" about all of this stuff. It's all for fun any way.
Old 03-15-2008, 08:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: bigbulls

Perhaps because to make the larger calibers as aerodynamic as the smaller ones, it takes a considreably heavier bullet to get the same SD. This would be a requirement if the form factors were identical. This would then add recoil, if these bigger bullets were to be driven to the same velocity levels.... For example, a 160-grain Speer .284 PSPBT has a sectional density of .283, and a B.C. of .556. But their .308 bullet with the same B.C. has a SD of .301, and weighs 200 grains. However, it is a flatbase, (no BT), so it would be a little better if it had a boattail. It could therefore weigh less. Perhaps 190 grains or so.