HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Browning BPS Shotgun (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/235846-browning-bps-shotgun.html)

vaslugger 03-04-2008 08:16 PM

Browning BPS Shotgun

I am considering getting a Browning pump in the
Upland Special or BPS Hunter.How reliable are
these guns for not jamming and do they shoot
good.Also it says it has the invector chokes so
what does that include and do they screw in flush
with the barrel.I will be buying a 20 gauge for
squirrel hunting mainly and like the bottom
ejection and top tang safety.How do you like
the Upland Special model?Any answer will be
greatly appreciated. Mike

Rammer 03-04-2008 08:22 PM

RE: Browning BPS Shotgun

The BPS is a great gun. I've owned many of them, and still have 1 or 2 laying around. Never had a problem with any of 'em.

The chokes screw in flush with the barrel. It'll come with an Improved Cyliner, Modified, and Full chokes.

johnshiredman 03-04-2008 08:53 PM

I have the Dura Touch Turkey model with the three chokes that fit flush plus a turkey choke. Besides 3 1/2" turkey shells, I also use it to shoot clays at the farm. My neighbor reloads for me and I've never had a problem with it. I went with the BPS because of the bottom eject and top safety(ambidextrious), because my boy is showing signs of being a lefty. Browning still has the $75 rebate for a shotgun of 3 1/2", so it's a great time to buy.

bigcountry 03-04-2008 09:12 PM

Its a pump. If it jams, they got some serious issues. I have one in the duratouch 3.5" for turkey and think is about the most awesome pump I ever owned. With thier back boring, it patterns better than any gun I got.

JagMagMan 03-05-2008 01:22 AM

The BPS is one of the best shotguns made. I'll never part with mine!

Wingbone 03-05-2008 03:26 AM

I have an older one with invector chokes. I've got choke tubes from turkey x-full to improved cylinder I've picked up over the years. You can buy after-market tubes almost anywhere.The choke tubes screw in flush with the muzzle,except the turkey tube which extends out. In almost 20 yr.'s I've never had it jameven whenI short-shucked it. I'd agree with these guys. It's the best pumpgun made.

Hunting the North 03-05-2008 04:38 AM

I'm am870 fan myself, but my brother-in-law has had a BPS for over 25 years and never had a problem.

Hairtrigger 03-05-2008 04:44 AM

The BPS is an incredibly smooth pump, just like the old Rem 31.
Add to that the fact that Browning BPS has a thumb safety and bottom eject , all great features.
My BPS is the Upland with the straight stock. It has seen plenty of use and the finish is worn but the gun has never let me down.
With the Browning, the Upland uses the same barrels as the regular BPS so replacement barrels (in my case slug) are easy to find.

stalkingbear 03-05-2008 12:16 PM

In my opinion,the bps is THE best currently produced pump shotgun in the world. I've had several as well as seeing/shooting a bunch more and can honestly state that I've NEVER had to repair a single 1! The ONLY work I've done to bps shotguns was upgrades to bore(taper forcing cone,port),trigger,scope mounts(drill&tap),etc.

oldelkhunter 03-05-2008 12:58 PM

In my opinion,the bps is THE best currently produced pump shotgun in the world. I've had several as well as seeing/shooting a bunch more and can honestly state that I've NEVER had to repair a single 1! The ONLY work I've done to bps shotguns was upgrades to bore(taper forcing cone,port),trigger,scope mounts(drill&tap),etc.

+1 The construction is way beyond what any pump shotgun currently produced has.