Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Winchester Model 70 questions >

Winchester Model 70 questions

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Winchester Model 70 questions

Old 03-05-2008, 01:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Winchester Model 70 questions

I agree with the advice given! I'll add that if it is a post 64 action, there would be no advantage in putting a pre 64 barrel on it! It is the pre 64 action that makes the gun more valuable. To me, I'm a Winchester man, but I think that the post 64's are just as good, except maybein the "dangerous game" catagory! The Winchester "Purists" lamented the change as inferior, and I'll admit the claw is/was great, but the Remington's and many other good brands never had a claw extractor to begin with! So, to me it was just the fact that Winchester "changed" their action in 64 that upset people,not that the change was particularly bad!
Old 03-05-2008, 07:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Pickerel

ORIGINAL: bigbulls

2) First part... no. Second part...yes if it is a pre64 receiver but you would have to likely set back the shoulder, rechamber, set back the breech face, and recut the extractor cut in the breech face.
You would still have to do this if it was a pre-64 barrel on a pre-64 receiver? My thoughts behind getting a .30-06 barrel is it would be less expensive to shoot, and I wouldn't be wearing the original barrel out, and .25-06 is based on .30-06 so I would think if I was using a .30-06 barrel I wouldn't have to change anything beside the barrel.

If I sound stupid it probably has to do with me being 19, from an anti-gun family, and having only a .22 Savage and a Remington 870 to dabble with as of now.
If the serial number is under 600,000 than that shows a date of man. of 1963 or earlier. According to winchester there were no model 70 actions issued serial numbers in the 600,000s. Post 1964 action production started with serial numbers begining at 700,000. So while the wording is a bit off, wikipedia is essentially correct. As long as your memory/eyes serve you right and the serial number was in the 500Ks, it is a pre-64. Anything in the 500s will mean that is was made anytime from about 1956 or so up to 1963. Exact year depends on exact serial number. Just about any book that lists anything about date of manufacture will include Winchester model 70s... just flip to the glossary in the back.

All the pre-64's I've ever had out of the stock had the last two digits of the year of manufacture stamped on the underside of the barrel just in front of the rfeceiver ring. This keeps you from having to search a serial number list to find out when it was made. I don't know if the post-64's were so marked or not-I just could never get much interested in the cheapie version of the "Model 70".

Even using a barrel from the same version of the Model 70, one MIGHT have to cut it back one thread and rechamber, just toget the headspace correct. But going from a .25/'06 to any other round having the same head size keeps you from having to alter the bolt face or extractor hook.... you could go to .270 Win,280 Rem., .30/'06, 6mm Rem, 250 Savage,257 Roberts, 7X57mm, etc. etc. and use the bolt as-is.
Old 03-05-2008, 12:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: JagMagMan

I agree with the advice given! I'll add that if it is a post 64 action, there would be no advantage in putting a pre 64 barrel on it! It is the pre 64 action that makes the gun more valuable. To me, I'm a Winchester man, but I think that the post 64's are just as good, except maybe in the "dangerous game" catagory! The Winchester "Purists" lamented the change as inferior, and I'll admit the claw is/was great, but the Remington's and many other good brands never had a claw extractor to begin with! So, to me it was just the fact that Winchester "changed" their action in 64 that upset people, not that the change was particularly bad!

I'll give ya an Amen JagMag! I'm not going to dive into the benefits a controlled round feed has over a push-feed action, but I will say that just because a Winchester is a pre-64 doesn't make it great.... and just because it maybe a post-64 doesn't make it of any less "worth" (maybe financial worth, but they are still good rifles). I've shot a few pre-64s that were real dogs, and a number of post-64s that were tack drivers.
Old 03-08-2008, 11:55 AM

I must have remembered the serial number from another gun... this one is G1080XXX... 1972 gun. At the very least it seems to be in good shape... looks like this one but I don't think it had the iron sights: