Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Deer Gun for 8 year old >

Deer Gun for 8 year old

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Deer Gun for 8 year old

Old 03-04-2008, 02:37 PM

Default RE: Deer Gun for 8 year old

B - B

Can you say Daisey!

8 year old kids has no place in the woods with a loaded rifle - period!

you cannot show me a 8 year old kid that has the maturity to be a safe hunter.

I would in no circumstances let my 8 year old kid hunt with a rifle.

Some people ought to have their heads examined!

We will be hunting on private property (ours) in a box stand together. I think it all boils down to teaching him the correct ways to hunt. When we rabbit hunt I don't bring a gun so I can walk with him and make sure he doing what needs to be done to stay safe.
Old 03-04-2008, 02:51 PM

ORIGINAL: The Rifleman

B - B

Can you say Daisey!

8 year old kids has no place in the woods with a loaded rifle - period!

you cannot show me a 8 year old kid that has the maturity to be a safe hunter.

I would in no circumstances let my 8 year old kid hunt with a rifle.

Some people ought to have their heads examined!
Can you say ........ your own opinion....

I Started my oldest son early and bought him his first rifle when he was 6. Now understand that he never hunted alone. He always was with an adult. I feel sure that that is the case in this situation as well. So while your opinion might have a bit of validity, Perhaps some hunters / gun enthuists are not quite as irresponsible as your opinion makes them out to be. My son is almost 14 now, and I have complete faith in him. I still watch him, but he is very safe and compitent with a firearm. I don't know, maybe some of us are better teachers than others, but your blanket statement might be better served , being limited to your own household.

BTW .... I have had a few MRI's and cat scans , and my head is fine....but I do appreciate your concern.

God Bless
Old 03-04-2008, 04:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

First of all I know some 40 year old's that have no business in the woods with a loaded rifle. I think it is admirable you take your son with you. I am sure you have more fun watching him, than you do hunting by yourself. So Kudo's to you. More parents need to spend more time with the kid's.

I would recommend a single shot rifle with a break open action. All price points can be covered here. If you want to get a nicer rifle then buy an Encore. If you want a less expensive rifle you can get a Handi-Rifle.

Any of the lighter cartridges will do just fine. I am sure you are making him take good shots. So any cartridge he can effectively hit with, will be just fine.

I like the break open actions for kid's. If the action is open, then the rifle is not going to go off. He should be taught to keep the action open at all times, except when he is ready to shoot. That iswhen dad hands him a cartridge. This is the only safe way. You must admit that the mind of an 8 year old can wander.

Someone above mentioned a semi'auto. I think that would be a real mistake. Remember. Keep it simple, and keep it fun. Tom.
Old 03-04-2008, 04:53 PM

30-30,243,25-06.....If u buy the 25-06 it is almost good for everything with not really that much recoil is is good for everything i have a friend that has taken a moose at 321 with a Tikka T3 using Winchester Super X In 117 Grains THATS NUTS My op is the 25-06 or the 30-30 both great guns mount some nice glass on there and your set
Old 03-04-2008, 05:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

.243 Win. or 6mm Rem.

Old 03-04-2008, 05:19 PM

Head0001 thanks for the kind words. I hunted most of my life, not deer, but ducks and other small game. My oldest son who is 14 has been very involved with sports, especially baseball since he was seven and we have travel all over the country for him to play. Last year he and my younger son (the 8 year old) told me they would like to give hunting a try. My 14 year old has a rem 1100 that his grandpa gave him and Santa claus brought the younger one a single action rossi 20ga. To be out with them and seeing the joy that hunting gives them (in only a few hunts) makes me so happy and wanting to go more. Since they are both new to hunting I don't even bring a gun for me to shoot. I have just as much fun just watching and teaching them the correct way to hunt. They've tried and like both duck and rabbit hunting and now would like to try deer hunting. As I stated before we will be hunting on 30 acres we own that's surrounded by a few hundred acres. We will ALL be together in a tower blind that we are building. I really don't think it matters if your 8 or 80 if your taught safety first when it comes to hunting. Thanks again for all the advise.
Old 03-04-2008, 05:28 PM
Fork Horn

A simi auto is only a single shot when you load it one bullit at a time. No one is saying give him a 40 round mag and turn him lose.
Old 03-04-2008, 06:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

My sons were shooting a 243 at 8.
Old 03-04-2008, 07:47 PM
Typical Buck

I think it's great for you to take your kids hunting,my daughter has been hunting with me from age 7 and has safely taken atleast one deer every year,and I cant think of any thing that she would rather do,Are all you no-kids hunting people against kids fishing also,hell they could hook someone.With good adult supervision I think it's as safe as them going to school,look how many have been killed there in the last few years!!!
Old 03-05-2008, 03:13 AM

My 9 year old Son has harvested 2 does and 2 bucks with a Remington Model 7 in 7-MM08 Cal.
I free floated the bbl, glass beddedthe stockand replaced the trigger with a Timney.
I hand load 140 G A bonds for it, on the hot side.
All have been one shot kills. The rifle is light, acurate, fast handling with little recoil.
My Sonnamed Her Lil Nellie. Can You tellWe like this gun .

Quick Reply: Deer Gun for 8 year old

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.