Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 What's the difference? M16 vs. AR-15 >

What's the difference? M16 vs. AR-15

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

What's the difference? M16 vs. AR-15

Old 03-02-2008, 01:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: What's the difference? M16 vs. AR-15

one
3 round burst is not useless it is good for killing people or a few people at one time
that is why you can not just go down to a gun shop and buy one
two
a ar15 is a m16 that is a civilian model and only semi auto
there not .22 there .223 or even 308 or bigger you can buy a m16 semi auto only gun i have saw them not to many around and there costly one i saw was form the 80s and they wanted more then two ars would cost.

Issue three most people do not know this the first m16s where called ar16s due to the ar meaning assault weapon i think
They changed it just like the military does everything to m16
From what i have been told you do not want to use any m16 parts in a ar.
Seems like to me the only reason is so you could add everything but the selector switch then add it later and remove it which is illegal.

Again most any ar15 part you will find cheaper easier online then at a dealer unless the do AR or m16 on a large scale
Also when i had my AR i shot it so fast semi auto sometimes.
I would pull the trigger faster the the bolt came back and it would need a second pull so you can shoot a semi auto almost as fast as a full auto.
Stick with AR parts and stay out of prison .
ORIGINAL: M77man

ORIGINAL: the_sandman_454

The biggest difference is the M16 is capable of burst or full automatic fire. The AR15 is the civilian (read: semi-automatic) version of the M16. To stay legal make sure you don't use any M16 parts that would convert it to automatic fire.

You might be able to find an M16, but it'd have to be produced prior to the late 80's machinegun ban unless I'm mistaken. It would also cost roughly the same or more as a typical small car.
Are you referring to the A1 or the A2? I don't know the characteristics of the A1 but I do know about the A2 and the A2 is not fully automatic. It's semi-auto or with the flip of a small switch becomes a 3 round burst (which is worthless). Also, I don't know about the AR 15 either but the M 16 holds up to 30 rounds and is a sweet little .22 that is capable of hitting a torso at 500 yards using nothing but a peep sight and well tightened sling tied to your arm like a turnakit.
Old 03-02-2008, 01:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

heck you can get a 100 round drum mag if you want
ORIGINAL: Destructo

You can get a 30 rounds magazine for the AR-15 also, except a few states do have magazine limits to 10 rds for some reason, here in NC there is no magazine limit.
Old 03-02-2008, 01:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

also i was in ky cutting fire wood in a nat. forest after i went target shooting with a ar.
A park ranger stopped to see what i was doing seen the ar. Then wanted to check to see if everything was legal.
i said sure it was of corse.
He asked if it was mine and if it was semi auto.
He checked to make sure the safty was not a selector which.
Then he asked if it had any m16 parts i said no which it did not. HE said good keep it that way have a nice dya and nice gun. After he ran it to make sure it was not stolen.
Funny thing is i bought it off a guy in indy that was a gunsmith for the indy swat team.
And the gun was bought new by the indy. swat team.
I just wonder what the guy thought when that came up on the computer.
Old 03-02-2008, 03:51 PM

Your "park ranger" knew about as much about ARs as you do about spelling and grammar. Most people, ESPECIALLY LEO's and park rangers wouldn't know the difference between an M16 part or an AR15 part unless it was engraved in bold, capital letters on the part.

And, just how did he "check" it to see where it came from. Unless there was a local list of stolen guns, which is reasonable,there is no way on earth he could have been able to run a check on any system to "see where it came from". Unless in KY they have a "master gun list" that has every owner of every weapon and its source on computer!! Not.

Like has been said before, M16 parts in ARs are quite normal, and very legal, to a point.

Hank

Old 03-02-2008, 07:44 PM

Issue three most people do not know this the first m16s where called ar16s due to the ar meaning assault weapon i think
Incorrect. The "AR" refers to Armalite, the original manufacturer. It never referred to "assault rifle", a practically useless term if there ever was one.

For whatever its worth, a caution from Bushmaster's catalog:
The position of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobaco and Firearms (ATF) is that if your AR15 type rifle contains even
one M16 component, it is a Machine Gun. If you own an AR15 from any manufacturer, check to make sure there
are no M16 components in it’s assemblies. If there are, remove them immediately. Machine them to AR
configuration, or replace them and destroy the M16 components. Refer to the illustrations below to determine if
you have M16 components in your assemblies. If you have any questions about your parts, give us a call and
we’ll be glad to supply you with the legally acceptable parts.
Old 03-02-2008, 08:33 PM

Cal,
Yes, exactly, AR = Armalite.

As far as the Bushmaster quote, they have had that for awhile, many think to keep their own legal folks happy. There are two camps on the M16 parts issue. The
"no way" guys and the "look at the rulings" guys. Personally, my guns are stock and they will in all probablility stay that way. Some folks use different parts for different reasons, mostly competition guns. There were, and still are, ARs being shipped that you will find M16 bolt carriers it (so I am told) as well as triggers.

Basically, it all comes down to the function of the gun. If it functions as a machine gun, baaaad. If it shoots one time per trigger pull,,, good. This is an excerpt from an ATF ruling (important part is CONTINUES TO FUNCTION);

"....accompanied by the removal of the other internal M-16 parts to
ensure that the rifle will no longer fire automatically. As stated
above, failure to remove these parts will result in making tax
liability should the AR-15 rife continue to fire automatically.
Indeed, possession of such weapons would be in violation of the Act
and they would be subject to seizure and forfeiture. Of course, if
the AR-15 rifle no longer functions automatically after removal of
the auto-sear, the rifle no longer constitutes an NFA weapon.
In
this regard, the Bureau has held that an M1 carbine converted to an
M2 capable of fully automatic fire and then restored to its
original condition as an M1 capable of only semi-automatic fire is
no longer an NFA weapon. See Chief Counsel Opinion No. 21032,
dated June 10, 1970.

All that said, there is no real advantage, either through cost of funtion, to use M16 parts. So, one would be "better off", advised is the government term, to not use M16 parts in an AR15. I don't have any reason to poke the dragon in the eye, so my guns will remain stock and any builds will be done using kits from the big name suppliers like DPMS, Bushmaster or Rock River.

Hank
Old 03-02-2008, 10:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

i was not sure if the ar was assault rifle or not just what i was told
but never the less the first m16s where ar16s
ORIGINAL: CalNewbie

Incorrect. The "AR" refers to Armalite, the original manufacturer. It never referred to "assault rifle", a practically useless term if there ever was one.

For whatever its worth, a caution from Bushmaster's catalog:

[align=left]The position of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobaco and Firearms (ATF) is that if your AR15 type rifle contains even[/align][align=left]one M16 component, it is a Machine Gun. If you own an AR15 from any manufacturer, check to make sure there[/align][align=left]are no M16 components in it’s assemblies. If there are, remove them immediately. Machine them to AR[/align][align=left]configuration, or replace them and destroy the M16 components. Refer to the illustrations below to determine if[/align][align=left]you have M16 components in your assemblies. If you have any questions about your parts, give us a call and[/align]we’ll be glad to supply you with the legally acceptable parts.
Old 03-02-2008, 10:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

i think some of it might have been just to see how i would react
maybe they had a local list maybe not.
But what you must understand
in that area
there is tons of dope growers meth cooks
and alot of crime for the small area
so they keep the eyes out for anything

Just north of where i was is aDEA 5 state task force for drugs
ORIGINAL: ahankster

Your "park ranger" knew about as much about ARs as you do about spelling and grammar. Most people, ESPECIALLY LEO's and park rangers wouldn't know the difference between an M16 part or an AR15 part unless it was engraved in bold, capital letters on the part.

And, just how did he "check" it to see where it came from. Unless there was a local list of stolen guns, which is reasonable,there is no way on earth he could have been able to run a check on any system to "see where it came from". Unless in KY they have a "master gun list" that has every owner of every weapon and its source on computer!! Not.

Like has been said before, M16 parts in ARs are quite normal, and very legal, to a point.

Hank
Old 03-02-2008, 10:37 PM

It's semi-auto or with the flip of a small switch becomes a 3 round burst (which is worthless).
I wouldn't call the 3-round burst worthless. Its puts 3 rounds into the chest of the enemy much more accurately then full auto. I'll take 3 shots in a 4 inch target with one trigger pull than 3 shots in a 2 inch target with 3 trigger pulls. JMHO
Old 03-03-2008, 06:16 AM
Fork Horn

Im going to side with M77man If want to smoke somebody....controlled pair or failure drill.

burst just wastes ammo.

IF you want to surpress/kill the enemyby means of a high volume of firepoweruse a SAW better yet a 240 or M2.
ORIGINAL: AmateurHunter44857

It's semi-auto or with the flip of a small switch becomes a 3 round burst (which is worthless).
I wouldn't call the 3-round burst worthless. Its puts 3 rounds into the chest of the enemy much more accurately then full auto. I'll take 3 shots in a 4 inch target with one trigger pull than 3 shots in a 2 inch target with 3 trigger pulls. JMHO

Quick Reply: What's the difference? M16 vs. AR-15

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.