Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Scope Mounts: Steel vs. Aluminum? >

Scope Mounts: Steel vs. Aluminum?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Scope Mounts: Steel vs. Aluminum?

Old 02-28-2008, 11:18 PM
Spike

Default Scope Mounts: Steel vs. Aluminum?

I've got a Savage long action that has quite a large gap between the rings, so I'm going to install a one piece slotted mount. The two options are a $90 steel unit, and a $12 aluminum one. It's a .338 magnum, which makes me a little uneasy about the aluminum mount. At the same time, however, I keep thinking that if aluminum weren't strong enough, they wouldn't make scopes out of it... Any input would be appreciated.
Old 02-28-2008, 11:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Scope Mounts: Steel vs. Aluminum?

There is a fellow on E-Bay that mills heavy duty aluminum ones for around $30. They will work well for you. Tom.
Old 02-29-2008, 05:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Unless you are worried about weight,I usually go with all steel for both bases and rings. You can get by with aluminum bases as the screws are going directly in the steel reciever but by no means do I like aluminum rings except for use on a .22 because the ring screws are going into the other aluminum ring-thus less secure/strong and more easily stripped out.
Old 02-29-2008, 02:10 PM

I went with Warne Maxima bases & rings for my Savage in .375 H&H. I needed an extension front base to span the long gap, so that it would fit the short 2-7x scope. The steel mounts work well and cost much less than $90.

For the rest of my rifles, mostly Remingtons, I have Talley LW 1-pc mounts. They are aluminum and tough as all get out. These are, far and way, my favorite scope mounts. They are light, sturdy, simple, and effective.
Old 02-29-2008, 02:50 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: jason miller

I've got a Savage long action that has quite a large gap between the rings, so I'm going to install a one piece slotted mount. The two options are a $90 steel unit, and a $12 aluminum one. It's a .338 magnum, which makes me a little uneasy about the aluminum mount. At the same time, however, I keep thinking that if aluminum weren't strong enough, they wouldn't make scopes out of it... Any input would be appreciated.
The price should tell you something..Don't cheapen out , Steel all the way..
Old 02-29-2008, 06:42 PM
Spike

The price is partly because the steel one is a tactical Picatinny rail. If someone would just make a friggin weaver multi slotted rail out of steel, I'd be set.

I thought about the extension rings, but I've yet to see a set of extension rings that look good to me.
Old 02-29-2008, 07:42 PM

ORIGINAL: jason miller

If someone would just make a friggin weaver multi slotted rail out of steel, I'd be set.
The Warne Maxima bases are Weaver style. Go to Brownells. Buy the rear with the extension front. You can order each base seprately. The set shouldn't cost you more than $25 with shipping.

Done deal!
Old 02-29-2008, 07:53 PM
Typical Buck

I wouldn't care if the steel DID cost 90 bucks the first time the cheap aluminum rings wear out and come loose or malfunction and youare in the middle of a hunt would make you think 90 bucks is pretty cheap. . . . . . i have been burnt too badly with aluminum in the past but maybe your luck would be different

Old 03-01-2008, 01:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

Get some leupold mounts and be done with it. They're steel I believe.
Old 03-01-2008, 07:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have used Talley Lightweights quite a bit with no problems. They are standard on NULA rifles which can generate some serious recoil with no issues. WOuld rather use them than any Leupold ring mounting product.

Quick Reply: Scope Mounts: Steel vs. Aluminum?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.