Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 What rifle to buy >

What rifle to buy

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

What rifle to buy

Old 02-28-2008, 09:51 PM
EKM
Typical Buck

Default RE: What rifle to buy

Had two guests in elk camp with Remington 760 pumps in 30-06 and using 180 grain Partitions. They both kicked arse in taking their first elk. I had never handled that model of rifle before: a pump high power with a clip, seemed odd but they swore by them and I sure couldn't argue with the results. Try www.gunbroker.com.
Old 02-28-2008, 09:51 PM
Typical Buck

the remingtons 740,7400,760,7600 any would be a good choice,they come in a lot of different calibers.The ones that I've owned were great rifles and they dont give up much in accuracy to a bolt gun.As far as a lever with a pistol grip and clip browning lever rifles or savage,but I dont think savage makes them anymore so this would be a used gun I think it's a model 99 I owned one 20 some odd years ago,I may be wrong on that model #,you may check out ruger also they have some auto's and lever's with a clip but I'm not sure if they have the calibers that you want,they have some short carbines in 44 and such,I'm not sure about spire pointed bullet calibers.Hope this helps.
Old 02-29-2008, 08:18 AM

Seems like the general concensus is for the 760/7600 rifle. I hunt in md but spend aot of time in FL for school. I want a gun that will cover 99% of my needs for the rest of my life. (I already have a .22 for varmints and cheap range shooting, and an 870 for skeet/goose.) I want a rifle that will cover almost everything else i may someday come across in north america. I didnt add the .243 to my list because while im sure it can drop a black bear, every one says its not practical. I didn't put the 30-30 on my list cause from what I hear they dont have the range of other cartridges. One person even told me only an idiot would scope a 30-30 cause the iron sights more than cover the range of the bullet. (Ive seen plenty of scoped Slug guns, so clearly this is just one opinion.)

As to why I dont want a bolt action, from my shooting experience, its easier to remain on a target while cycling the action witha lever or pump. (maybe i just should start hitting more of my first shots.) Also, it seems every one and their brother has a bolt, and i guess i just want to be different. (call me crazy)

Some one asked if I plan on scoping the rifle. Not at first, figure ill get plenty good with the iron sights then someday if necessary, ill scope it for that 300 yrd shot.

I plan on getting a gun that will last me the rest of my life and along with the other two, cover almost every need I will ever come across.
Old 02-29-2008, 08:50 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: 59f100292

Seems like the general concensus is for the 760/7600 rifle. I hunt in md but spend aot of time in FL for school. I want a gun that will cover 99% of my needs for the rest of my life. (I already have a .22 for varmints and cheap range shooting, and an 870 for skeet/goose.) I want a rifle that will cover almost everything else i may someday come across in north america. I didnt add the .243 to my list because while im sure it can drop a black bear, every one says its not practical. I didn't put the 30-30 on my list cause from what I hear they dont have the range of other cartridges. One person even told me only an idiot would scope a 30-30 cause the iron sights more than cover the range of the bullet. (Ive seen plenty of scoped Slug guns, so clearly this is just one opinion.)

As to why I dont want a bolt action, from my shooting experience, its easier to remain on a target while cycling the action witha lever or pump. (maybe i just should start hitting more of my first shots.) Also, it seems every one and their brother has a bolt, and i guess i just want to be different. (call me crazy)

Some one asked if I plan on scoping the rifle. Not at first, figure ill get plenty good with the iron sights then someday if necessary, ill scope it for that 300 yrd shot.

I plan on getting a gun that will last me the rest of my life and along with the other two, cover almost every need I will ever come across.
You're CRAZY!!!! Sorry - you asked for it!

As to the 3 non-.243 cartridges that rifle is [currently] chambered for, flip a coin. We could have dozens of pages of posts about which one you should get, but they're all neck-and-neck. And it's highly doubtful that any animal you shoot will raise it's head to look at you with its dying breath, & berate you for not shooting it with one of the other 2 cartridges.

FC
Old 02-29-2008, 03:42 PM
Typical Buck

you can get those remington pumps and auto's in 30-06,so if you want a versatile gun that will last the rest of your life as long as you dont live over 2-3 hundred years then these would be hard to beat for the price,they last a long time and shot good,you can get them with sights and put a scope on them if you wish.
Old 02-29-2008, 06:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Browning Bar
Old 03-03-2008, 01:01 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: 59f100292

Just a thought.. But you don't see target rifles in Lever Action, pump or semi autos for a reason. They are inheirently less acurate due to the trigger pull they have. They have to have a harder trigger to keep from firing again after the reload of the shell. Bolts are more accurate, more reliable and in my opion astecically more pleasing.. So don't rule them out..
Old 03-04-2008, 07:44 AM

Well your running short of options, i know that the new rem 7600/760 are good guns but they do tend to jam often if not kept clean. i own a older rem 742 woodsmaster carbine in .308 with a 20 inch barrel this gun has never jammed on me and is over 20 years old. this rifle is a little heavy but very accurate gun to have. I have had some expierence with the older 760 pump its a good rifle to but i dont care much for pump rifles or shot guns.
Savage does have some older lever actions but to find one in good condition would cost u an arm and a leg. One thing you might have over looked is the .35 whelen in the marlin, or the .35 rem in remin gton 760. this is a great deer round, problem is that its near impossible to find used you can order them alll day though. The .35 is a .358 calliber bullet having greater knock down power, the .358 caliber is placed in a 30-06 casing knecked up for the .35 round. The ballistics for the .35 with a 200 grn round are around 2675 FPS which means that this round is still good out to a 250 yard range. let us no how it goes.
Old 03-04-2008, 12:18 PM

Don't rule out the Browning BLR. Its an excellent rifle and fits all your requirements including "pistol grip'. whatever you heard about them is probably BS. I know of several that function flawlessly.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/976583307/Guns/Rifles/Browning-Rifles/Browning_BLR_Lightweight_w_Pistol_Grip_270_WSM.htm
Old 03-04-2008, 12:26 PM

Here's a pump remington in my favorite caliber 280:

http://www.gunsamerica.com/976975268/Guns/Rifles/Remington-Rifles-Modern/Non-Model-700/REMINGTON_7600_LIMITED_280_REM.htm

Quick Reply: What rifle to buy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.