Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 relocating to texas >

relocating to texas

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

relocating to texas

Old 02-29-2008, 08:43 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: relocating to texas

NEVER shoot for "a knee or 2". If you are justified in using deadly force, use deadly force. Someone who has been shot in the knee can still shoot back.

Also, shooting a guy in the knee is just going to get you sued, and the civil courts in the Valley are notoriously "plaintiff-friendly." He'll end up owning all your stuff, by court order...
Old 02-29-2008, 09:21 AM

Balde, Texas is about as gun friendly a state as this nation can offer. Bring ALL your guns but you sure better lock them up...especially close to the border. They are high on the criminal want list. Texas have very good laws about protecting yourself and your property and they aren't bashful about using them. But common sense will preclude any liklihood that you'll ever be faced with this issue. Just know Texas law doesn't expect you to back down in your home.

Never shoot to wound someone. Shoot to kill. Dead people don't come back with lies about what happened and try to sue you. And the guy you shoot in the knee may be the guy who shoots you in the head.

I have to ask...why are you going to the McAllen area? This is like the dark side of the moon compared to where you are living now. I hope you like heat and humidity.
Old 02-29-2008, 10:08 AM
Spike

because thats where my family [mom,brothers and sister]is living and my mom is up in age. im in wisconsin cause the wife and her family are here . but now that the we are parting ways it makes no sence for me to stay in a place where i have no one that cares for me. at least there i will have comfort of being with blood relitives. the worse part is that ill be leaving my 2 boys. but i feel kids would rather come from a broken home than to live in one! its just not healthy for them. and hopefully ill be able to reopen my company there and make a good life and possably be happy again! i know my kids willcome and visit and soon cometo live with me! to me, home is where your loved, and there aint no love for me here! so i need to go home!
Old 02-29-2008, 10:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Texas has the "Castle Doctrine", i.e. a man's house is his castle. We aren't "required" to retreat against a threat in our house like a lot of other states. The law changed on 9/1/07. You can also carry a firearm in your car when "travelling" which was redefined as any time you are in your car. You don't need a CHL for that. As far as shooting someone on your land tresspassing, I'm not sure of that, but I would suggest that you not test it in Texas.....we take our hunting land very seriously, and don't like people wandering on to it.

As far as public land hunting, it is rather limited, usually to permit draw hunts put on by the Texas Parks and Wildlife Dept. or on some federal lands like the Hagerman area just north of where I live.

As far as guns, we have a ten gun minimum down here.....any less than that, you will have to buy some more before coming. JK
Old 02-29-2008, 12:28 PM
Fork Horn

You're talking about moving to one of the cesspools of Texas. If you plan to shoot everyone that steals from you, you had better have a lot of ammo and a good lawyer. Unless you are prepared to deal with all of that, there are 1000s of better places in Texas to live. I would suggest buying a good safe, bolt it to the floor and park the dogs in front of it. Border towns ain't no place to be. Plenty of desperate folks just trying to get a few bucks to move north.

Look at the number of thefts:

http://www.cityrating.com/citycrime....n&state=TX
Old 02-29-2008, 12:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Too bad the family's not in west Texas! Decent climate,good jobs around,crime is under control,500 miles any direction to do anything you want!Really pretty good area to live and work with the distance from border traffic and good access to hunting,fishing and travel,yes we have to travel to do it but not much tourist traffic! Bring the guns and take care of them,from what you've had to deal with we're easy to handle with firearms!
Old 02-29-2008, 08:02 PM

ORIGINAL: balde

because thats where my family [mom,brothers and sister]is living and my mom is up in age. im in wisconsin cause the wife and her family are here . but now that the we are parting ways it makes no sence for me to stay in a place where i have no one that cares for me. at least there i will have comfort of being with blood relitives. the worse part is that ill be leaving my 2 boys. but i feel kids would rather come from a broken home than to live in one! its just not healthy for them. and hopefully ill be able to reopen my company there and make a good life and possably be happy again! i know my kids willcome and visit and soon cometo live with me! to me, home is where your loved, and there aint no love for me here! so i need to go home!
I can't falut your reasoning at all, Balde. Sorry for the current state of affairs. Bottom line is bring your guns and come on down. You won't have any trouble in Texas. Finding a place to hunt is sometimes a hassle but just about everyone in Texas manages without too much trouble. Or there is always N.M. not overly far away with vast hunting areas. Welcome to Texas.
Old 02-29-2008, 08:52 PM
Spike

thanks all for your support!!! the wife came home today after all my bags and my guns are packed, and now finally, after 8months of fighting, she says shes goin to shrink on monday to figure out whats wrong with her. not sure what my next step will be at the moment! i just know i cant take much more and if thing dont change quik ill have no choice but to become a 100% Texan and get me a gun rack for my ford f150
Old 02-29-2008, 09:50 PM
Spike

oh ya! she says she thinks shes going through a midlife crisisand doesnt know what she want! women sure know how to turn a mans life upside down and then blame it on sh!t like a midlife crisis! what the f--k is that!!!!
told her she need to sh!t or get the f--k off the toilet!!!!
Old 03-01-2008, 10:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Since it seems that all else has failedit might not hurt to try some Christian counseling before y'all hang it up permantly. Find a good Christian pastor/counselor and see what happens before yougo to the Bid D and I don't mean Dallas.

Quick Reply: relocating to texas

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.