Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Reloading Vs Cheap Ammo >

Reloading Vs Cheap Ammo

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Reloading Vs Cheap Ammo

Old 02-26-2008, 04:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Reloading Vs Cheap Ammo

Been a reloader for well over 40 years.Got into it because I wanted ammo that was more accurate than the factory stuff. It is possible to save money reloadingonce your equipment is amortized.It would cost $400-500 to buy everything that is needed to get going in reloading, including a case tumbler. It does not take long to burn $500 worth of commercial ammo at todays prices. Currently my .308 re-loadscost me 33 cents a round, exclusive of case and labor.These are precision re-loads that will shoot a <1" five shot group at 100 yards.

If you are thinking about getting into re-loading lay in a good supply of once fired cases. Pick them up off the range, scrounge themfrom friends or whatever. The only commercial ammo I have bought in ten years is .22 rimfire andsome .300 Win. Mag. that Wal-Mart had for $11 per box.
Old 02-26-2008, 05:19 PM

CJ,

I started to reload cause my 243 would not shoot 100 grain factory bullets worth a crap. I tightened up those groups, but then found it really liked my 85 grain handloads. Then I found out it loved 60 grain bullets. Now I reload for my 22-250 due to high volume shooting. Just loaded my first .270 bullets this week. I would never shoot this much if I were still buying factory ammo. There's nothing quite like turning in a tight group with your own handloads.

KEJ
Old 02-26-2008, 06:59 PM
Typical Buck

I got into it because nontox shotshells were $15-20 a box and weren't killing birds that wre well hit at short range in the very cold end of the season . I inherited a scale and a 12ga pressspent about $60 on the next 80 rounds since then my cost is about $5.60 a box for steel $5.20 for lead . .38 specials and 357 run3.60-4.10 about 6.00 if I get all spendy and go to the high end HP's. For my 30-06' it doesen't matter what it costs as my 1965 Savage 110 won't shoot any of the many factoriesI've fed it over the last 15 yrs.
Old 02-26-2008, 10:52 PM

Reloading has saved me a ton of Money. I would say that it took me less than a year to make up the cost of my reloading gear. Depending on what you are reloading for, Pistols, you might save $2-4 on a box, for me, I save about $80 on a box for my .338 Lapua. Figure 8-10 boxes of reloads, and my equipment is paid for and half my rifle is too.
Old 02-26-2008, 11:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Reloading is much cheaper than what it costs to buy factory ammo for. You "can" get into it for around $150 if you buy Lee stuff, mainly starting off with one of their anniversary kits and then adding in your dies and case trimmers etc. The prices given earlier of $5-600 is for premium, albeit well worth it RCBS or Hornady, Dillon etc. The Lee stuff will produce good ammo but will have a clunkier feel to thier presses and the scale that comes in the kit only goes up to 110 grains and thier dies some people dont care for, but many of us have never had a problem with. Bullets and brass seem to be the big cost to reloading, but for just plinking there are inexpensive bullets and you can always find used brass from friends and the range.
Old 02-27-2008, 07:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

"Cheap ammo"?? What cheap ammo?? When you toss out a once-fired piece of brass, you are tossing 75% of what that round cost you! ANYONEwho likes to shoot a lot, and tosses out the brass instead of reloading it, is either very wealthy, not too bright, or both!!

It is not expensive to START reloading - In addition to a reloading manual, (which you should buy one of just to read it!!) ALL you need is a set of dies for the caliber you intend to load; a press; a powder scale, and a set of calipers to measure case lengths with. That's all for tools.

Also 100 primers, a box of bullets, and a can of powder to begin with. In a short time (depending on how much you shoot), you will need a case trimmer also. As the cases lengthen, you'll need to keep them the correct length.

I find most everything in the way of equipment on e-bay.
Press example: $17.00
http://cgi.ebay.com/Single-Stage-Metalic-Reloading-Press_W0QQitemZ280203261012QQihZ018QQcategoryZ7112 0QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Dies:$10.00
http://cgi.ebay.com/lyman-308-reloading-dies_W0QQitemZ180217489704QQihZ008QQcategoryZ31825 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Powder scale: $25.00
http://cgi.ebay.com/Lyman-Ohaus-Model-D5-Powder-Measure-Scale_W0QQitemZ230225016302QQihZ013QQcategoryZ7111 9QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
$52.00 for these tools. What does a box of ammo cost you??

With these three items, your reloading manual, plusa box of primers, some bullets, and a can of p[owder, you can begin reloading! I started with a Lyman 310 hand tool,a set of dies for it, and a $10.00 Pacific powder scale. That's all that is ESSENTIAL!! The rest of the stuff is "nice to have" or "will need later, MAYBE!!".

The other stuff, case trimmer, etc., you can add later, as needed.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:17 AM

ORIGINAL: cjwink

For the 223 and 308 I can buy the metal cartride ammo for 6 bucks a box of 20.. That is pretty cheap IMO.. What does it cost per round to reload.
I havent loaded any yet but on paper, i have priced the cost of reloading a .223 with a 75gr Hornady A-Max bullet maximum safe amount of powder for a bullet of that weight at .48 cents if you manage to salvage all that brass for a second use, the price will drop down to .28 per round after that. I priced it all from Midwayusa.com, using a .223/5.56military grade powder, mil spec primers and Remington brass. The basics nothing too fancy.
while you might find cheaper ammo online, they might be old and are usually underpowered with 55gr bullets.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:30 AM
Typical Buck

I can shoot 223 for 23cents a round using the Steel Cartridge shells.. They are probably not the most accurate, but for plinking they seemed to work fine.I use the Factory Ammo for hunting for more accuracy when I go to sight in.
Old 03-14-2008, 01:29 AM

ive thought about reloading but i dont shoot enough to justify my initial cost to get set up. id like to reload the rounds for my glock but shooting reloads voids the warranty. I dont think that would be a good idea with the sheriff's department's gun.
Old 03-14-2008, 02:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

I don't reload to save money, rather an extension(progression) to my hobby/passion. It allows me to tailor my loads for gun and usage without comprimising perfromance. Ie; my cheap plinking loads produce results similar to my premium hunting loads, it gives me confidence to sit down and shoot good groups with all my loads. I shoot because I reload, but I reload and shoot b/cI love to hunt. Reloading forcing me to shoot more which leads to more confidence through repitition. It's rewarding to harvest game with something you created, equally rewarding to see results on paper by your own ammo. Your limited by the bullets offered not by what manufacturers load, opens up the door to other "out of the norm" choices in all cartridges. More choice means better results = more return on investment.

Reloading requires some dedication though, if you only run through a few boxes a year the advantageswon't bevery clear. However if your the type that routinely shoots and has numerous rifles to pick from then it more then pays for itself and will keep you honed in your skills. Just like shooting reloading requires practice to be proficent, the more you load the better you'll be. Can always do it agroup withhunting or shootingbuddies to help lessen the investment costs. I own the equipment my buddies all own rifles and are welcome to use it as they please..we share in upgrade, mannual, equipment costs. Everyone is responsible for their own components & dies.Allows me to shoot and load other cartridges without having to buy them. WIN/WIN as I get to enjoy my hobby more and try stuff wih my time being the investment. Friendship extension, but you must have indivdiuals you can work with and who'll pay the bill when its time too. Coattail riders, sit/gab or those who need to drink when with others need not apply.

I have 2 girls they are little older now at 8 7 10 but still I do most of my reloading after they hit the rack. I often break it down in stages, case prep, priming, load reserachand crunching (powder and seating bullets). I do alot of case prep and priming in advance, then when its time to gear up for shooting I can concentrate on loading itself.

Quick Reply: Reloading Vs Cheap Ammo

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.