Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Accutrigger or better scope? >

Accutrigger or better scope?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Accutrigger or better scope?

Old 08-03-2010, 10:59 AM
o_O
Spike

Default Accutrigger or better scope?

Hi, just signed up to ask all of your opinions.

I currently only have a Marlin .22, Rem 870 and a couple of 9mm handguns. I'm a Brit transplanted to Colorado and started hunting small game last season. Thinking of picking up a 30-06 for this season.

Budget is limited as I hope to be debt free within 6 months so this year I have about $500 and don't plan on igging a debt hole with this purchase. Next year I should have a bit more to play with.

I'm looking at a Savage 110 or one of it variants (111, Stevens 200 etc). I've heard mostly good things about the accutrigger but it does increase the price of the rifle by about $150. That's money I could put into a better scope. Which is going to provide better accuracy?

So I could get a 111 package with the scope for around $550. I guess the scope would be pretty low quality but would it get me through my first season, until I can upgrade it next year? Or I could get the non accutrigger for $350 and spend the $200 on a better scope. I even seen a NIB Stevens Model 200 XP 30-06 for $336 + $15 shipping (+$25 FFL) with included scope, which would allow me to still get a better scope this year and a few dollars for the old one on Craigs List or to keep as a spare.

Any opinions welcome, thanks.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would go for the Accutrigger-pass on the scope package.My MK-II BV .22 Lr has it and it is a great trigger.The scopes are basic cheapo Simmons jobs.You can do MUCH better.Check out Natchez shooting supply for the scope.They always have some excellent deals on scopes.Good luck!
Old 08-03-2010, 02:15 PM
o_O
Spike

I can't do $500+ on the rifle and $200+ on the scope this year, not before this season in CO.

I've been reading about after market triggers like Rifle Basix and Timney. So I could get a non Accutrigger now with a decent scope, then next year if I feel the need replace the trigger for $100. Is that the smartest upgrade path?
Old 08-03-2010, 02:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Snatch a 200 and a decent scope. They don't have bad triggers and shoot straight too. Best bang for the buck. JMO.
Old 08-04-2010, 04:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Some people, including me, don't like the accutrugger - but some people love it. Try it for yourself before paying extra for it. If your goal is elk hunting you absolutely need a reliable scope. High altitude and long trails sometimes make cheaply built scopes fail.
Old 08-04-2010, 04:55 AM
Fork Horn

i picked up a centerpoint scope on e-bay for under 125.00 and its a 4x16x50 mil dot scope with lighted retical..both red and green and when turned off its black. ive had it on my wifes 30-06 for 3 or 4 years and its been shot 30-50 times with pretty stout
rounds. 150's to 165's anywheres from remington..hornady,,to hand loads and she hasnt moved a whisker off zero. this is just the ticket for you.
Old 08-04-2010, 06:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Get the accu-trigger and buy a scope used online. Heck buy the whole gun used. I was actually offered a Savage in stainless with an accutrigger in .30-06 two weekends ago for sale for $250. I made a bad decision to pass on the deal.

That was with a crap scope too.

Tom
Old 08-04-2010, 08:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by statjunk
Get the accu-trigger and buy a scope used online. Heck buy the whole gun used. I was actually offered a Savage in stainless with an accutrigger in .30-06 two weekends ago for sale for $250. I made a bad decision to pass on the deal.

That was with a crap scope too.

Tom
I second the idea towards buying a used package. I'll bet you could find a slightly used savage with Accutrigger and decent scope in your price range.
Old 08-04-2010, 11:23 AM
o_O
Spike

I appreciate all the replies and advice. Does anyone have an opinion on the Marlin XL7? It's in a comparable price bracket to the Model 200 or non Accutrigger 110 variants, and has an adjustable trigger that seems to review well.

I've nothing against buying a used gun but being a bit new to the world of firearms, I'm not sure I could tell a good used gun from a worn out one. The chance of me buying a dog is probably much higher than any of you chaps! That makes pawn stores a bit of a gamble for me. Sites like GunBroker.com are OK as the seller has a reputation to maintain and a feedback system (like ebay). I've not seen any bargains though. Used and new prices are often within $50, and the extra does buy some piece of mind. I purchased both my handguns from gunbroker.com and got great prices on new guns.

I'll keep an eye out for used but chances are probably slim I'll get a great used deal right before hunting season. Maybe right after, but it's the wrong time of year to expect a great deal. You never know though, I might get lucky. I've got a couple of weeks before I make any decisions.

Is there any other rifle similar to the 110 in a similar price range you might recommend I look into?
Old 08-04-2010, 12:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

When you want to enter the used gun arena it helps to just watch the want ads. I'd be surprised if there weren't some guns for sale in the Colorado papers. Also check with the local gun shops where they often have guns on the consignment racks. Used guns aren't normally beat up too bad, and if they are it should obvious. But if you are not real savvy on looking for things like smooth feeding and extraction, magazine feeding and loading, safety function, etc, then the new gun warranty path makes a lot of sense.
If you're going to go new, personally, I'd go for a decent package deal on a Savage, and then save up for the better scope next season. Then just put the "package" scope on your .22 rifle or hang on to it for a spare.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.