Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 leftie shooting a semi-auto shotgun?? >

leftie shooting a semi-auto shotgun??

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

leftie shooting a semi-auto shotgun??

Old 02-24-2008, 02:56 PM
Fork Horn

Default leftie shooting a semi-auto shotgun??

I am a left handed shooter and I ask this because my dad has a .22 semi-auto that I CAN'T shoot because I get a face full of junk when I shoot it. I don't have any problems at all shooting my 870 Wingmaster.
Do any left hand shooters shoot a right handsemi-auto shotgun? I am thinking about changing to an autoloader after shooting a pumpgun for over 40 years, but I don't want a face full of burnt powder and other gunk. I did shoot a Benelli SBE last year without any problems, but I think I noticed the action working. Other than that, no problems, but I wonder if on a windy day there might be problems. I worry too much sometimes.
I'm not sure I want a Benelli, but if I do, I will buy a left hand gun. I am thinking about a Browning that only comes in right hand action. Sure don't want to buy a gun I can't use. Help, please! Jim
Old 02-24-2008, 03:14 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: leftie shooting a semi-auto shotgun??

I'm lefty and I've been shooting semis off and on for 45 years. I've only occasionally had powder blow in my face and that was waterfowl hunting with a strong wind in my face. Ain't no big thing. Just wear shooting glasses.
Old 02-24-2008, 07:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bronko22000

I'm lefty and I've been shooting semis off and on for 45 years. I've only occasionally had powder blow in my face and that was waterfowl hunting with a strong wind in my face. Ain't no big thing. Just wear shooting glasses.

Heck I'm right handed and shoot right handed guns and I've gotten powder in the eyes before.

They do make left handed shotguns 2eagles. Being a 10%er you sometimes have to pay a few more dollars to offset the set-up costs, but the gun will likely fit you better as well. I'd think it would be money well spent.
Old 02-24-2008, 07:52 PM

I have a lefty SBEII. Awesome gun. I also have a lefty flintlock. I do have a few righty pump guns but don't mind the shells ejecting too much. All in all, if feasible, I would go with the lefthanded version of whatever you're getting. There is a reason they make them that way. It suits us. That being said, I'll bet there are more left handed shooters shooting righty guns that will tell you differently. I just happen to like the LHers I have.
Old 02-24-2008, 08:21 PM
Typical Buck

You might want to look at the Remington 105 CTI, it's a bottom eject and works for right or left handers.

I am right handed, left eye dominate and have no problems shooting 10'000's rounds out of a tricked out Beretta 391 Trap. The gun is right hand eject but the wood is left handed. It is very important though that eye protection is worn as there is always a chance of unburnt powder and debris being blown into the shooters face when using an autoloader
Old 02-25-2008, 07:23 AM
Spike

I had an old Mossberg 5500. I never got hit by shells.
Old 02-25-2008, 11:44 AM
Fork Horn

What is the downside of getting a left handed model? Seems like a no brainer.

Old 02-25-2008, 12:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shoot with either hand and have never had a problem shooting any type of gun left handed. Though like it was mentioned wear shooting glasses no matter which hand you shoot with.
Old 02-25-2008, 01:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm a lefty as well is my partner and last year we both decieded it was time to buy an autloader b/c we'regoing to join a fun trap league.

Both bought rh autos and no problems with debris,etc.Ican say until I got use to my berreta I did notice the cycling but now it doesn't bother me.
If doing it all over again and buying new if a LH was available in the model I was interested in I'd probably pay the additional cost for a S paw version.Mines a hoot and wonder what took me so long
Old 02-25-2008, 03:08 PM

I am a left handed shooter. I used to shoot a right handed mossberg and would occasionally get powder in my face. Desided to buy a new autoloader, went with a Benelli M2 black synthetic. So far I've shot 150 rounds through it on my trap league. It is an absolutely wonderful gun. Everything on the gun is reversed for a left handed shooter. I was also surprized atthe weight of the gun, its nowhere near as heavy as what my "berg" was. You might want to try the Benelli M2, you'll be pleasantly surprized.

Quick Reply: leftie shooting a semi-auto shotgun??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.