Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Long range yote rifle? >

Long range yote rifle?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Long range yote rifle?

Old 02-25-2008, 11:20 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Long range yote rifle?

22-250 would be what I would go with..
Old 02-25-2008, 05:11 PM
Spike

Thanks for all the input guys. We're wanting to stick to factory chamberings on this rig. I've looked at the 6mm Rem. and it looks good on paper, but I can't anybody that's offering it ina factory rifle. If there anybody that offers the 6mm Rem. in a factory rifle? We like the high BC of the 7mm bullets and don't think that at those ranges it'll tear them up too bad.
Old 02-25-2008, 09:46 PM
Typical Buck

you should look at the 243 its almost as good as the 6mm,you can shoot the hornady 58grain V-max at around 3760 fps and kill coyotes at those distances.If you dont reload there is a bunch of different factory loads from 55 grains to 100 grains.The 25-06 would be another good choice this is another good long range caliber.I myself would stay away from 22 calibers for this kind of range due to the simple fact that you will need a heavier bullet to maintain energy at 500+yards.I dont mean to insult any ones 204's or the well respected 220 swift but bullet weight needs to be 55 grains or more for this range on a possible 40lb or more animal.Many people have killed them at this distance with the 20's and 22's,but they won't be as capable of a killer as the 6mm/243 or larger would be,I read earlier that you were thinking about using the 7mm mag,I'm sure that you can kill them as far as you can hit them with that,they might have a little fur damage,on what fur thats left.For the most bullet selection the 243 has more than the 25-06 or 6mm combined if you dont reload.This is only my opinion,others may disagree.PS the 58 V-max shoots very good in both of my guns,savage110,remington 700,very accurate.good luck!
Old 02-26-2008, 03:19 PM

308 Win good gun with 150 Winchest silver tips
Old 03-17-2008, 12:11 AM
Spike

We have 22-250s and 223s that we can use out to 4-500yrds. My hunting partner has a 25-06 and a 7mm that he's playing with on 5-700yrd targets. I've been looking at ballistics charts and have a handful of cartridges that look like they'd make awesome yote killers. 260 Rem, 280 Rem, and 264 WM. look pretty good on paper. Any input on them?
Old 03-17-2008, 05:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

nothing less then a 338/378 would work on something like that
Old 03-17-2008, 03:15 PM
Spike

ORIGINAL: oldelkhunter

Why don't I just call up an air strike or artillery barrage?

I asked for input on here because I know alot of you guys either have or have had some of these calibers and that some of you do long range shooting. I personally feel that the 22s run out of steam too quickly at long ranges. Sure they're fine for punching holes in paper that far away, but I like quick, clean kills on critters. Please reserve input for serious comments only. I don't want to pick them up with a sponge and sandwich bag, but I don't want to just wound them either.
Old 03-17-2008, 04:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

I like my 243 for that kinda shooting with 60gr Sierra HPs.
Old 03-17-2008, 04:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: iloveto4x4

ORIGINAL: oldelkhunter

Why don't I just call up an air strike or artillery barrage?

I asked for input on here because I know alot of you guys either have or have had some of these calibers and that some of you do long range shooting. I personally feel that the 22s run out of steam too quickly at long ranges. Sure they're fine for punching holes in paper that far away, but I like quick, clean kills on critters. Please reserve input for serious comments only. I don't want to pick them up with a sponge and sandwich bag, but I don't want to just wound them either.
Are you looking to buy another rifle? Or, just for us to say to use the 7mm rem mag?

The 7mm is way overkill for yotes at that distance, sure it would work great. But, I'm guessing its not a custom LR rifle, so hitting yotes at that distance and seeing your hits at that distance will be a lot harder with the 7mm.

Will you be dialing or using a custom reticle?

A fast twist 22-250 would be awesome, cheaper to shoot, you can see your hits, and plenty of power for yotes.

If you just really want to use your 7mm, then try the Sierras or the Bergers and figure your drops and wind drift and have fun.
Old 03-17-2008, 05:18 PM

Precious few better off the shelf long range rifles than a 270 Win. The best Coyote hunter I ever knew used one w/130 gr bullets.

Quick Reply: Long range yote rifle?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.