HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   T/C Encore pistol (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/234148-t-c-encore-pistol.html)

TRACKER 02-23-2008 11:02 AM

T/C Encore pistol

Looking at buying a T/C Encore pistol with the 15 " barrel .
Not sure if I want blue or stainless ??
I want the 7mm -08 cal.
Also putting a scope on it .
Any postives or negatives on this gun ?
This is there newest gun out I believe ,
I just sold my savage striker stanless , scope and in the 7mm -08 cal.
Any other pistols camparable ?? to the T/C ??
Thanks...
Forgot to ask , How much are they costing in your area ?

johnshiredman 02-23-2008 07:16 PM

RE: T/C Encore pistol

Tracker,
I have a blue Encore pistol that I bought used a few years backfrom a local Gander Mt. with a .223 and Burris 2-7 for a little over $500. It was in great condition because a husband bought it for his wife for hunting, but she didn't like it and never used it. I would have bought a stainless if I hadn't come across this used blued one (that basically came with a free scope). I then bought a 7mm-08 barrel and put a Burris 3-12 bal plex on it. The Encore frame goes for around 300 to 375 depending on blue/ss and which store. Barrels are generally around 225 to 275 or more. You should be able to buy a set up (barrel and frame) for around 525 to 575 (if it is not the prohunter).

I put a hammer extender on because I couldn't reach the hamer under the scope with gloves on very well. The prohunter has a hammer than will swing to either side. A 15" barrel fits great in an Uncle Mikes SideKick holster size 13. I am experimenting with a few different powders and bulletsfor handloads. Benchmark and Hornady 139 gr SST dropped a 10 point buck on the spot and I had trouble finding the bullet hole (but the heart shotwas only at 30 yards). I think other powder/bullet combinations will be more accurate. I am currently waiting to try some loads with IMR 4350. Varget seems to be the most popular in threads that I have read, so that will be the next powder to experiment with.

General info on the Encore: you can legally change a pistol to a rifle set up (rifle stock and barrel of minimum legal length), but then it is considered illegal to change it back to a pistol unless you fill out the ATF registration and pay a $200 tax (that would be each time you change it from rifle to pistol), so having one framefor rifle and one purchased as a pistol would save any possible legal troubles down the road if anyone intends on purchasing rifle and pistol barrels.

I picked up a Stainless Striker 7mm-08 model 516 with adjustable break this summer at a local Scheels for $625 (it came with a Simmons Prohunter fixed 4x, I asked if they would sell it cheaper without the scope, but I was told no). I was browsing the used rifles, thinking about picking up a used Rem youth 7mm-08, I sawtheStrikerin the case and called over a salesmen to wrap it up for mefor the 48 hour wait(after checking it over and seeing that it was it great condition). It was the first 7mm-08 Stalker I had seen for sale. I have no idea what they are worth, but I thought it was something I should have and it was it great condition (hope I didn't overpay, but for something I was looking for that isn't made anymore I was willing to pay the price they had on it).I did see a blued 7mm-08 without an adjustable muzzle break for less than $400 at a local small shop and am wondering if I should have grabbed that one too. Did you trade yours in or sell it to someone (curious what you got for it and why you sold it)? What model number was it (514 or 516)? Did it have an adjustable break? So far I seem to shoot the striker better than the Encore (might be because the bigger grip and frame creates a more solid rest or it likedmy current handloads better than the Encore and I just need to find the right one for the Encore). But I like carrying the Encore better,I haven't found a holster than will fit theStriker andIhaven't put a sling onit (Iusually stalk into my stand with the .44 Ruger SRH). I thought about putting a bi-pod on the Encore for steady bench shooting, but in 90% of myhunting shots I wouldn't be able to use it anyways.

Let me know if you have questions. I would not say that I am well experienced, but Iam happy to sharemy experiences thus far.I have been happy hunting with the Encore pistol and plan on passing mine down to my son when I am too old to holda pistol steady.

J

stalkingbear 02-23-2008 07:27 PM

I have exactly the model/barrel you inquire and it shoots consistantly within 1/2" from rest @ 100 yards. I would reccomend a higher power variable on it as I found out it's a LOT easier to get precise aiming with more power such as 3x-12x as long as you have a rock solid rest. You'll still be able to turn it down for closer ranges or while deer/antelope hunting.

TRACKER 02-23-2008 11:14 PM

johnshiredman
The stricker was a 516 , no muzzle brake .
It was stainless with black compossate stock .
It had Burris bases and rings and a 3x9 Burris compact (rifle)scope.
It also came with a sling ,Gun was one of the first 7mm-08 out by Savage. I sold it complete for $600. and I also sold an extra brand new stock with mag spring and swivles for $40. to the same guy .

I liked the gun ,although I hardly used it ,
A friend of mine bought a T/C Encore a few years ago and I figured I like it better .
I guess they stopped making the strickers a few years ago .
I,ve shot a few pistols with the muzzle brakes and I dont like the blast in my face ..

TRACKER 02-23-2008 11:21 PM

Does Remington still make there I think it was a XP or XT PISTOL??
I thought I had seen T/C Barrel on E-bay ?? No More ??

cataway 02-24-2008 02:55 PM

ORIGINAL: TRACKER

Looking at buying a T/C Encore pistol with the 15 " barrel .
Not sure if I want blue or stainless ??
I want the 7mm -08 cal.
Also putting a scope on it .
Any postives or negatives on this gun ?
This is there newest gun out I believe ,
I just sold my savage striker stanless , scope and in the 7mm -08 cal.
Any other pistols camparable ?? to the T/C ??
Thanks...
Forgot to ask , How much are they costing in your area ?
MPO the encore is a great gun and i have it in several calibers . i like the 708 cartage but i dont like the fact that its a rimless ,getting ahold of the spent cartridge is way easer, some thing like a 307 or a 730 waters