Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 H&r Ultra slug now what >

H&r Ultra slug now what

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

H&r Ultra slug now what

Old 02-22-2008, 02:54 PM
Typical Buck

Default H&r Ultra slug now what

Based on this sites forums about slug guns i just bought a 20g ultra delx, put a nikon shotgun scope on it. What should i zero this gun in at?
SST slugs? The price of ammo is going crazy can i zero in with regular 5$ box slugs then fine tune with 20$ boxers? Thanks for your help.
Old 02-22-2008, 02:57 PM

Default RE: H&r Ultra slug now what

I usually ight mine in 2in high at 50 yards and im good out at 100 yards. But i shoto a 12 gauge. I get on paper with cheaper slugs and fine tune with the slug i plan on shooting. I get on paper with Brenneke KO slugs and they shoot 2in high and 3in right compared to the Federal Barnes Expander slugs i hunt with. Your gun will be different but you can try it.
Old 02-23-2008, 02:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have the same shotgun in 20ga., and I also use the SSTs, sightin at 50 yards and be 2.5" high
Old 02-23-2008, 03:27 PM
Typical Buck

thanks for the help...i can't wait to shotter in.
Old 02-23-2008, 07:23 PM
Typical Buck

The SST's were shooting quite well in mine as well.

Old 02-23-2008, 09:48 PM

I know it isn't an H&R but my mossberg 500 shoots the Winchester Partion Golds
20ga slugs(2 3/4 in 260gr 1900fps)very well.I just went up to Bass Pro today picked up 7boxes for $13.50a box.2inces high at 50yds.
Old 12-15-2010, 03:23 AM
Spike

I hunt with a 12 ga. H&R UltraSlug. These guns are truly sniper slug-guns once you have identified which sabot slugs your particular gun likes best. I spent upwards of $150.00 finding this out with my UltraSlug. You have to shoot both the 2 3/4 and 3 inch varities of each slug (where both lengths exist). My particular UltraSlug favors the 3 inch Winchester Partitioned Gold. I have a LimbSaver recoil pad that reduced the felt recoil to something manageable. I also have a 3x9 Nikon SlugHunter scope with the BDC reticule mounted on my gun. I can consistently shoot a single jagged hole at 100 yds with the 3 inch Partitioned Golds, from a sandbagged benchrest. With any other slug, I am lucky to get a 2 inch group - usually 3 inches is more likely. I can shoot groups that are under 3 inches at 200 yds with the 3 inch Partitioned Gold, from a sandbagged benchrest, although not consistently. Seriously, you've got to find that favorite sabot or you will never realize your UltraSlug's true potential. By the way, I have a friend who also uses a 12 ga. UltraSlug and his prefers the 3" Remington Accutips. Our UltraSlugs are rigged exactly the same (LimbSaver recoil pads and Nikon Slughunter scopes). His ultraSlug is as accurate as mine is but he is lucky to get a 2 1/2 inch group at 100 yds with the 3 inch Winchester Partitioned Gold sabots my gun likes where I consistently shoot a single jagged hole at 100 yds. with them. So, there is no guaranteed answer to which slug is best even if you are talking about the same make and model gun. For what it is worth, we both bought our UltraSlug outfits from the same dealer at the same time. Both guns came in the same shipment from NEF. I am telling you, barrel to barrel the favorite sabot slug can (and does) vary. These guns may prefer the 2 3/4 inch of any particular sabot over the 3 inch or visa-versa. The only way to know for sure is to try them all from a sandbagged benchrest at a measured range. Not cheap by any stretch of the imagination but when you have a big buck standing at 150 yds, it will all seem so worth it!

One more thing: I had originally thought about getting a pump-gun so I would have a quick second shot until my buddy reminded me that once the first shot is fired, the deer is usually either down or gone! I went with the H&R UltraSlug and would do it again in a heartbeat! A 6-point this year and an 8-point last year have convinced me that I made the right decision!

Last edited by VarmitMan; 12-15-2010 at 03:27 AM.
Old 12-20-2010, 02:09 PM
Site Bouncer

Originally Posted by VarmitMan
I hunt with a 12 ga. H&R UltraSlug. These guns are truly sniper slug-guns once you have identified which sabot slugs your particular gun likes best. I spent upwards of $150.00 finding this out with my UltraSlug. You have to shoot both the 2 3/4 and 3 inch varities of each slug (where both lengths exist). My particular UltraSlug favors the 3 inch Winchester Partitioned Gold. I have a LimbSaver recoil pad that reduced the felt recoil to something manageable. I also have a 3x9 Nikon SlugHunter scope with the BDC reticule mounted on my gun. I can consistently shoot a single jagged hole at 100 yds with the 3 inch Partitioned Golds, from a sandbagged benchrest. With any other slug, I am lucky to get a 2 inch group - usually 3 inches is more likely. I can shoot groups that are under 3 inches at 200 yds with the 3 inch Partitioned Gold, from a sandbagged benchrest, although not consistently. Seriously, you've got to find that favorite sabot or you will never realize your UltraSlug's true potential. By the way, I have a friend who also uses a 12 ga. UltraSlug and his prefers the 3" Remington Accutips. Our UltraSlugs are rigged exactly the same (LimbSaver recoil pads and Nikon Slughunter scopes). His ultraSlug is as accurate as mine is but he is lucky to get a 2 1/2 inch group at 100 yds with the 3 inch Winchester Partitioned Gold sabots my gun likes where I consistently shoot a single jagged hole at 100 yds. with them. So, there is no guaranteed answer to which slug is best even if you are talking about the same make and model gun. For what it is worth, we both bought our UltraSlug outfits from the same dealer at the same time. Both guns came in the same shipment from NEF. I am telling you, barrel to barrel the favorite sabot slug can (and does) vary. These guns may prefer the 2 3/4 inch of any particular sabot over the 3 inch or visa-versa. The only way to know for sure is to try them all from a sandbagged benchrest at a measured range. Not cheap by any stretch of the imagination but when you have a big buck standing at 150 yds, it will all seem so worth it!

One more thing: I had originally thought about getting a pump-gun so I would have a quick second shot until my buddy reminded me that once the first shot is fired, the deer is usually either down or gone! I went with the H&R UltraSlug and would do it again in a heartbeat! A 6-point this year and an 8-point last year have convinced me that I made the right decision!
This is the most sound advise you will get and a great first post VarmitMan!

As stated, these guns will shoot very very good with most slugs but to get the best performance and accuracy out of them you must find the round that your particular slug gun shoots best. I went through many, many boxes of different loads before I found what my H&R Ultra Slug Hunter likes and that's the 2 3/4 Winchester Platinum Tip 400grain 1700fps.

I have purchased these slugs in bulk and have enough for years to come. I currently have mine zeroed in at 100yds. This thing is an absolute tack driver! I also know exactly how much drop I get at 150yds with these slugs and I've killed deer at 129, 143 and 151yards as well as many at or inside of 100yds with this set up.

I haven't had to take a longer shot yet due to the location of my gun stand but if I ever found myself faced with the potential of a longer shot I'd probably re-zero it at 150 and check the drop at 200. I have no doubt that if I do my job the H&R will too.

Find the right "matching" slugs for your H&R and you will be blown away with how well it shoots!

Last edited by BigJ71; 12-20-2010 at 02:18 PM.
Old 12-20-2010, 02:23 PM
Site Bouncer

I forgot to add...There is nothing wrong with using cheaper slugs to get you on paper and close. Just clean it good before your final sighting in and again shoot different slugs till you find the ones that shoot best...yes that can get expensive but with all things considered it will be money well spent once it's "dialed in"
Old 12-20-2010, 02:41 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by BigJ71
I forgot to add...There is nothing wrong with using cheaper slugs to get you on paper and close. Just clean it good before your final sighting in and again shoot different slugs till you find the ones that shoot best...yes that can get expensive but with all things considered it will be money well spent once it's "dialed in"
This is something I have been hearing alot of lately. I was just wondering how much " dialing in " we might be doing after switching from rifled slugs to sabots? As both behave VERY differently out of a shotgun. The rifled slugs Lob/ arc in the air similar to a shotput throw. Where as the sabots seem flatter shooting out to about 80-90 yards and then gradually drop, more like a rifle does. When I shoot rifled/ foster style slugs, I am getting about 4.5" groups at 70 yards. But when I shoot sabots out of my rifled barrels I tend to get 1.5" - 2" groups at 110-125 yds. I was just curios as to how much dialing in we are talking here. If it isn't all that much, I might just get back into bringing out my rifled barrels again. which would be nice.

Quick Reply: H&r Ultra slug now what

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.