HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Winchester back in business in the U.S.A.? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/233815-winchester-back-business-u-s.html)

lovethebigguns 02-21-2008 10:07 AM

Winchester back in business in the U.S.A.?

I just had a gun dealer tell me that FN bought a factory in Virginia and they've started producing the Winchester Model 70 and 94 there. He told me that he's already placed an order for some!

Has anyone heard anything about this???

oldelkhunter 02-21-2008 10:16 AM

RE: Winchester back in business in the U.S.A.?

The factory has been around for awhile and it exists in So Carolina(columbia) the new 70's come out in a few months

salukipv1 02-21-2008 10:30 AM

The website is up...I checked it out a month ago or so. I think its a new model 70 action.....new and improved? haha. I can't believe they didn't just start making the same action, it was one of the 2 best mauser style/controlled feedfor dangerous game......I'm really shocked they didn't just duplicate the action, not sure about this new one.

Not sure I think the rifles they had shown weren't too impressive, I wish they would keep it simple and not make 30 different rifles. I think CZ does a fine job on their rifles, they have a cheaply priced wood stock CZ550 solid gun, wood, pretty plain, and also a XX fancy wood stock for more money. Maybe a nice synthetic, and maybe a cheaper synthetic, blued/stainless barrels thats like maybe 4-6 rifles, thats all we need.

lovethebigguns 02-21-2008 10:32 AM

ORIGINAL: salukipv1

The website is up...I checked it out a month ago or so. I think its a new model 70 action.....new and improved? haha. I can't believe they didn't just start making the same action, it was one of the 2 best mauser style/controlled feedfor dangerous game......I'm really shocked they didn't just duplicate the action, not sure about this new one.

Not sure I think the rifles they had shown weren't too impressive, I wish they would keep it simple and not make 30 different rifles. I think CZ does a fine job on their rifles, they have a cheaply priced wood stock CZ550 solid gun, wood, pretty plain, and also a XX fancy wood stock for more money. Maybe a nice synthetic, and maybe a cheaper synthetic, blued/stainless barrels thats like maybe 4-6 rifles, thats all we need.
What website?

oldelkhunter 02-21-2008 10:58 AM

The website is up...I checked it out a month ago or so. I think its a new model 70 action.....new and improved? haha. I can't believe they didn't just start making the same action, it was one of the 2 best mauser style/controlled feedfor dangerous game......I'm really shocked they didn't just duplicate the action, not sure about this new one

It is the same exact actiion ..only change is the trigger.

johnnybravoo77 02-21-2008 01:08 PM

Looks like they only have 5 different models.

http://www.winchesterguns.com/prodinfo/catalog/category.asp?cat=001C

lovethebigguns 02-21-2008 01:12 PM

What about model 94's?

salukipv1 02-21-2008 01:53 PM

rechecked, rifles look pretty nice. How abou tthose flutes, couldn't they extend those further alogn the length of the barrel? doesn't look horrible, just could've looked nicer I think.

Are you certain its the same action? could have sworn I read that it was new/different. just the trigger?

I hope they make one in .375 H&H, Ruger and one in .416 Ruger or Rigby, and one in .458 Lott.(certainly not .458 win mag.) biggest I see so far is .325WSM, .300 win mag.

SwampCollie 02-21-2008 02:03 PM

ORIGINAL: lovethebigguns

I just had a gun dealer tell me that FN bought a factory in Virginia and they've started producing the Winchester Model 70 and 94 there. He told me that he's already placed an order for some!

FNH has owned Winchester and Browning for a while... (a while as in like decades). They may well have bought a factory in VA, but I haven't heard about that. FN has brought some guns overseas through a place in Fredricksburg before, as has Benelli (H&Ks).

The Model 70s are in fact being made in Columbia, SC. The point of making sure that model 70s will always be made in the USA was important to the company I'm sure. Some (me included) were afraid that they were going to start making them in Mirokou.... but they know better.

The FNH plant where they are being buiilt is the same plant our M-16s, M-60s, PS-90s, and a whole bunch of other cool toys are made.

There haven't been any plans for 94s yet, nor pump shotguns on a large scale.

Like Salukipv1..... me being ever the pessimist and Africaphile noticed a lack of a supergrade and a lack of a .375 H&H. I know its new back on to the market.... but hey.... everyone has their own tastes.

From talking with our product rep for Browning/Winchester, you aren't very likely to see any Model 70s in stores until mid-late summer. Never know. He said that as of now (which was early February when he came by, just before SHOT show), that they already had more orders than guns they were planning to make in the next two years. So if FNH bought a plant or a new place to meet demand, it wouldn't suprise me.

eldeguello 02-22-2008 07:22 AM

ORIGINAL: lovethebigguns

IF you love guns, you need to join the NRA! The NRA is alone responsible for the fact that you can still own a gun in this country. The American Rifleman had a complete article on the new Model 70 a month or so back........