Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Tikka 270 vs 30-06 >

Tikka 270 vs 30-06

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Tikka 270 vs 30-06

Old 02-19-2008, 03:31 AM

Default RE: Tikka 270 vs 30-06

Ive never had a problem with a 30-06 accuracy. I had one and my dad and lil brother both still have one. Mine Remington 710 would shoot 3/4in with 150gr Winchester Supreme Ballistic Silvertips, My dads Remington 7600 will shoot 1.5in with anything you feed it and my littel bros Savage shoots 1-1.5 with most ammo. My dad also used to have a Remington 760 Gamemaster Carbine in 30-06but i was too young to remember how that gun shot. Everyone said it was a great shooting gun and it shot better then the one he has now.
Old 02-19-2008, 05:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Tikkas are basically (very) cheapened versions of Sakos. The barrels are made in the same factory (as I understand it) but that's about it. Tikkas have some polymer (plastic) parts... Sako's don't. One size fits all action on Tikkas. Didn't like the Tikkas safeties either. I've had two Tikkas. They shot well but I ended up trading them. I've got one Sako which I love. There will be no trading away of it. It's a heck of alot more gun than the Tikka. Great factory trigger (easily adjustible) too.
Old 02-19-2008, 05:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would say 30-06 just in case you want to hunt something larger.As far as the Tika spend 3 or 4 hundred dollars moreand get the Sako .You can probally get an AV for around $800.00.Be all the rifle you will ever need, beautiful weapons,quality parts ,good reliability.It don't get much better than Sako .You will never regret it if this is to be your one and only rifle .Save your money and get what you want! Check out www.gunsamerica or www.gunbroker.com you can probably get a pretty good deal on a Sako.
Old 02-19-2008, 08:28 PM

ORIGINAL: Swampdog

I would say 30-06 just in case you want to hunt something larger.As far as the Tika spend 3 or 4 hundred dollars more and get the Sako .You can probally get an AV for around $800.00.Be all the rifle you will ever need, beautiful weapons,quality parts ,good reliability.It don't get much better than Sako .You will never regret it if this is to be your one and only rifle .Save your money and get what you want! Check out www.gunsamerica or www.gunbroker.com you can probably get a pretty good deal on a Sako.
Old 02-19-2008, 08:41 PM
Fork Horn

As a big .270 fan, if I had the choice of only one rifle, I would probably get the 06.

You mentioned being a little recoil shy. Anything 'lite' in the 270 or 30-06 is gonna put a little smack on you. You should try to shoot one before you buy it. If you can't shoot before you buy, then choke up the extra bucks for the Sako. The resale value will be much better.

You might also consider the Managed Recoil loads. They really tame the kick and have proven plenty accurate in my son's .270.
Old 02-19-2008, 10:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

either way I'd say the kick of either from 130gr-220gr bullets won't be felt much differently,
You havn'e shot too many 30-06's then. The difference between a .270 firing a 130 grain bullet and the 30-06 firing a 180is the 30-06will havea full 25% more recoil. Fire a 200 grain bullet and you are up to about 30% more recoil. Fire a 220 grain bullet and you are up to about 35% more recoil.

Recoil is generated by the weight of the projectile (this includes the bullet weight and the weight of the powder) and the velocity at which said combo is traveling.

The tikka T3 lite weighs in at only 6.3 pounds and even though a 30-06 isn't a hard recoil cartridge it can hurt a little bit in that light of a rifle while at the range. IMHO if you are looking for a Tikka and are worried about recoil thenI would absolutely go with the hunter instead of the T3 lite.

Do you think the Tikka compares with a Savage...or is there any comparison?
My money would definetly go to the Tikka. ButI much prefer the hunter over the T3 lite regardless of recoil.
Old 02-20-2008, 06:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigbulls

either way I'd say the kick of either from 130gr-220gr bullets won't be felt much differently,
You havn'e shot too many 30-06's then. The difference between a .270 firing a 130 grain bullet and the 30-06 firing a 180is the 30-06will havea full 25% more recoil. Fire a 200 grain bullet and you are up to about 30% more recoil. Fire a 220 grain bullet and you are up to about 35% more recoil.

Recoil is generated by the weight of the projectile (this includes the bullet weight and the weight of the powder) and the velocity at which said combo is traveling.

The tikka T3 lite weighs in at only 6.3 pounds and even though a 30-06 isn't a hard recoil cartridge it can hurt a little bit in that light of a rifle while at the range. IMHO if you are looking for a Tikka and are worried about recoil thenI would absolutely go with the hunter instead of the T3 lite.
This is true for sure. The recoil will be more... although in the same rifle... one in .270 and one in 30/06... I'd doubt you'd notice it unless you shot them one after the other. Though it is there.

For what you have listed Dean, doing mostly target shooting, I would say that the .30/06 is the right cartridge, but I think the Tikka may be the wrong rifle. If you are a bit shy of recoil, and are looking for "extreme" accuracy, then you might want to consider some other rifles. The Tikkas are hunting rifles... light weight guns that carry easy.. but lighter guns kick thanks to Newton's third law. And light weight barrels heat up easier, and when you are target shooting, if you don't let that barrel cool off.. you are going to get some major bullet walking with that gun.
Old 02-20-2008, 06:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Retak said, "..As for the Sako being more then the Tikka. The Sako is alot better gun then the Tikka. If you are so recoil shy then i would recomend going with a 243 or 25-06 instead of a 30-06 or 270. "
I'd have to disagree with you Retak. Sako does have a few features that may make is worth somewhat more than the Tikka T3 (e.g. 3 position safety, 3 lug bolt.) However, the main reason Sakos go for at least twice the price of many T3s is because every Sako caliber is design with little made in common. So, the development and manufacturing costs are much higher.
The designers of the T3 intentionally designed this model to have as many parts made in common as they reasonably could. They didn't spend a lot of unnecessary $ redesigning parts for each caliber rifle, when it wasn't necessary. When it was necessary of course.
T3s are made in the same factory as Sakos by just as skilled Finnish craftsmen as the Sako, with the same stiff cold hammered-forged barrel as the Sako, strong action, floating barrel as the Sako, smooth adjustable trigger, crowned barrel, extremely smooth blot-action, scope mounting system that will not move on you with rings provided, etc. It's also lighter than the Sako, which will make most hunters happier going up and down mountains.
I don't think you'll find a more accurate 1 MOA accuracy rifle out the box for the $ than the T3.
I'd personally chose the Tikka T3 at your $500-600 per copy giving you enough to buy a second of another caliber for another purpose than you'd pay for 1 Sako. I think Sakos are a high quality rifle, but not worth twice the cost of the T3.
I'd buy the .30-06 for the hunting you described. You've got many more alternatives with factory ammo with it and you can go with heavier loads/bullet than the .270 W for the tougher skinned, boned game you go after. I wouldn't have any hesitation to use it on game in the .30-06out to at least 200 yds. That's just my opinion.
Old 02-21-2008, 04:57 AM

Well i shot a few groups with my Tikka T3 Lite Stainless in 300 WSMyesterday. I decided to check the sights since i was going to be near the range. I shot 2 3 shot groups and 1 5 shot group all at 200 yards. Both the 3 shot groups were about the same and the 5 shot group opend up andother 1/8in. Im assuming it opend up because of barrel heat. Here is the worst of the 3 shot groups. The pic was very blurry on the best of the groups. Ohh yea these are factory ammo. 180gr Winchester Super-X Power Points.

Old 02-21-2008, 02:32 PM
Fork Horn

a light rifle will transfer more recoil to you. if this is a big deal for you, choose the 270. if its not, I'd choose the 270 anyway, but thats just personal. both are going to do what you want for the hunting you described.

Quick Reply: Tikka 270 vs 30-06

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.