Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Whats the Feeling on Savages? >

Whats the Feeling on Savages?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Whats the Feeling on Savages?

Old 03-05-2003, 08:23 AM

Default RE: Whats the Feeling on Savages?

I own a Savage in 243 and love it after some trigger work it out shot my remingtons so I sold all of my Remingtons except one that shoots really good l bough another Savage with the new accu trigger in 22-250 havnt shot it yet due to the weather but what an awesome trigger they have come out with
Old 03-05-2003, 09:15 AM
Spike

They' re barrels are excellent because the boring procedure, but they' re triggers stink. I have tried out the new accu-triger on they' re salesmans model and I have to say I am very impressed. The only problem is that they will only be offerred in the Bull Barrel models this year. When they put the in the whole line, LOOK OUT!!!! That will be a tough combo to beat
Old 03-05-2003, 10:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Took me two minutes with an allen wrench to get my trigger good on each of my Savages.
Old 03-06-2003, 04:47 AM

If pull weight is to heavy just use a piece of .030-035 piano wire in place of original trigger spring and then adjust sear adjustment screw to desired let-off.Its no problem getting a 2 1/2#-3# trigger with no creep or overtravel.

woods
Old 03-07-2003, 10:28 PM

Woodseye,
Some of the lower grade Savages like the package guns don' t have the sear adjustment that the 116 did. A local rifle builder told me that they reason is the button rifled barrels. No one else does that at the present. He builds a lot of benchrest guns and has 5 BR world championships on the wall, so I put a lot of stock in what he said.

I have fired 4 or 5 Savages, yes they have clunky looking stocks, but every one I have fired did at least 1" at 100 yds. Some were quite a bit better.

Also, check out the prices on them these days. The word must be getting out, they ain' t quite the bargain they used to be anymore.

KC
Old 03-08-2003, 04:46 AM

Out of eight savages I' ve taken apart including two package guns only one didn' t have an adjustable trigger.It was a 10FM sierra lightweight,yes I agree the button rifled barrels and free floating are mainly responsible for their excellant accuracy.And a big yes to the fact Savage prices are climbing now that they are getting a name for accuracy,just this past price increase was pretty hefty.The guns I' ve seen adjustable triggers in were - 12FV,110,11F,16FSS, and 10FP.

woods
Old 03-08-2003, 11:13 PM

My wife bought me one for Xmass last year
I have always been Rem. all the way But I will tell you this
I would put my Savage up against any other Make in the same cal. out of the box w/factory ammo!!!
Savage is with out a doubt the most underated Man. on the market!

All yea the 2 Deer I shot with it this year didn' t care how fancy it looked either!