HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   affordable ammo [lol] (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/232611-affordable-ammo-lol.html)

balde 02-15-2008 08:11 AM

affordable ammo [lol]

i really enjoy shooting, but with prices for ammo, im gonna have to get a sencond job! if i wanna shoot my slug gun it will cost bout $100 per30 shoots! for my 30-06 and my 30-30, its a dollar a shot with taxes!
looked into reloading a bitand it doesnt look much cheaper!
where or how can i get good ammo and still pay the bills!!
i got the fever but cant afford the cure!!

kirby375 02-15-2008 08:26 AM

RE: affordable ammo [lol]

The initial cost of getting in to reloading can be high, but it doesn't have to be. You can get a Lee loading set up pretty reasonably. Or shop the gun shows for used stuff. I have been reloading for quite a few years, and most of the equipment I have was purchased used. You can still get reloading stuff on ebay as well. I have gotten into casting bullets the last couple of years as well, which further defrays the cost of shooting, and besides, it's fun. For the '06, there is always surplus ammo for target practice as well. Where there is a will there is a way.

retrieverman 02-15-2008 08:34 AM

ORIGINAL: balde

looked into reloading a bitand it doesnt look much cheaper!

I said the same thing about reloading until I got into it, and my cost per shot is CONSIDERABLY lower than factory ammo. As an example, I was shooting Win Supreme Accubonds in my 270 at about $1.75/shot, and I can reload them for under 50 cents each. As another example, factory 9.3x62 ammo sells for between $45 and $80 per box, and I am reloading for it using "premium" bullets for $16 per box. I am loading plinking/hog hunting ammo for $9 per box.

If you want to shoot, reloading is the way to go, but I absolutely DO NOT "save" any money though because I shoot so much more than I used to.

Retaks 02-15-2008 08:35 AM

Im also thinking about getting into reloading. I just cant afford the initial cost right now. I also found HSM ammo and asked about them but noone replyed to my question about how good they are.

statjunk 02-15-2008 09:37 AM

If you reload and stick to a budget it will be much cheaper. But like Retriever said you tend to shoot much more.

Tom

eldeguello 02-15-2008 01:35 PM

ORIGINAL: Retaks

Im also thinking about getting into reloading. I just cant afford the initial cost right now. I also found HSM ammo and asked about them but noone replyed to my question about how good they are.
HSM ammo?? What is that??

When you throw away an empty case after one firing, you are tossing away about 75% of the cost of that round of loaded ammo. If you don't insist on using the costliest bullets you can use for reloading, it costs you about $0.44 per round to reload that caseusing jacketed bullets. That's $44.00 for 100 rounds. Not too shaggy. You don't have to go broke to reload! All you need is a good loading manual-(buy this item before anything else!!)-and a press, a set of dies, and a powder scale. You will eventually need a case trimmer also, but you can get away without one for at least awhile. (I cut back all my overly long brass with only a chamfering/deburring tool for several years-yes, the case mouths looked fairly ragged, but it kept me from having cases that were dangerously over length!

As an example, I bought a "used" RCBS Rockchuker press off of e-bay a couple years back for $50.00, and a Lyman-Ohaus M-5 powder scale for $35.00.Both of these appeared to be hardly used at all when I unpacked them. Die sets can cost as little as $5.00 up. depending on make and caliber. Nope. You don't have to go broke buying equipment, in the beginning, anyway!

kirby375 02-15-2008 02:10 PM

I started reloading in 1978 with a Lee-Loader. These things are still a viable way to reload. I still have one in 30-06, and one in .375H&H. I still use them from time to time just for fun. I gave my .357 to a friend, it's all the reloading he does, and it works fine for him. I have seen these at gunshows for $10-$15. One warning, once you start reloading, you will never stop : )

Pavomesa 02-15-2008 02:37 PM

Anyone who shoots more than a couple of boxes of ammo per year and doesn't reloadis making a big mistake. Frankly, I think I would reload even if it didn't save me a lot of money. I just ENJOY the hell out of doing it. It's great therapy for what ails a fellow, just quietly sitting there building beautiful bullets one after another.

Doe Dumper 02-15-2008 02:44 PM

For me the Core Lokts in bulk have been a blessing and the free brass from the nearby range. The reloading equipment was gave to me and the only thing I have had to buy is a few pounds of powder and some dies. Id hate to say what I have in a box of reloads but Id venture less than 3 or 4 bucks for my 270 and 30-06. Not everyone will receive their equoment as a gift but my point is you dont have to go broke shooting. As Eldeguello says..watch the auctions. I got a set of nearly brand new 300 Savage dies for $5.

Retaks 02-15-2008 03:07 PM

ORIGINAL: eldeguello

ORIGINAL: Retaks

HSM ammo?? What is that??

When you throw away an empty case after one firing, you are tossing away about 75% of the cost of that round of loaded ammo. If you don't insist on using the costliest bullets you can use for reloading, it costs you about $0.44 per round to reload that caseusing jacketed bullets. That's $44.00 for 100 rounds. Not too shaggy. You don't have to go broke to reload! All you need is a good loading manual-(buy this item before anything else!!)-and a press, a set of dies, and a powder scale. You will eventually need a case trimmer also, but you can get away without one for at least awhile. (I cut back all my overly long brass with only a chamfering/deburring tool for several years-yes, the case mouths looked fairly ragged, but it kept me from having cases that were dangerously over length!

As an example, I bought a "used" RCBS Rockchuker press off of e-bay a couple years back for $50.00, and a Lyman-Ohaus M-5 powder scale for $35.00.Both of these appeared to be hardly used at all when I unpacked them. Die sets can cost as little as $5.00 up. depending on make and caliber. Nope. You don't have to go broke buying equipment, in the beginning, anyway!
HSM is Hunting Shack ammo. Its in a orange box. I jsut heard about it the other day. As for throwing away the brass i save all my brass except for my rimfires because i plan on reloading i just dont have the funds to start right now. I do masonry worka dn we cant work during the winter so im kinda tight on money until spring.