HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Buy a new rifle disease (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/232417-buy-new-rifle-disease.html)

konnari 02-14-2008 03:39 AM

Buy a new rifle disease

Hi fellas….

I cant get rid of this “buy a new rifle disease” that I’m always caching these days…..I just bought a new rifle two weeks ago and I’m already thinking of what too buy next !! Has anyone else had this same problem with this damn illness [&:]?

Ok…the question is what cartridge between my 25-06 and .300 win mag do I need ? I think there is a gap that I need to close…or do I need to see a Doctor ? :D

P.s. already have a 22lr, .223rem, .338win mag and 9.3x62

bronko22000 02-14-2008 04:51 AM

RE: Buy a new rifle disease

I've often contacted this same thing. But lately it has progressed into handguns. I think that is because there is no more room in my safes for rifles or shotguns.
But back to your problem. Maybe what would help ease the suffering would be a nice little Marlin Guide Gun in blue or stainless in 45-70. Or maybe even the cowboy edition. Or for some addtional fun how bout a T/C Hawken 50 cal muzzleloader or maybe an inline.

trailer 02-14-2008 05:12 AM

Yes, I had it bad last year but I think it’s gone now... As for your question, the 25-06 would be the ticket to fill that gap...

konnari 02-14-2008 06:13 AM

Trailer....

I have both a 25-06 and a 300 win mag. Plus those I listed. So what do I need ?:)

Retaks 02-14-2008 06:41 AM

Umm a 30-06 would right about int he middle of them. Then you gotta fill the gaps between the 25-06 and the 30-06 with a 270 and the gap between the 30-06 and the 300 Win Mag with a 7mm Mag.

trailer 02-14-2008 06:57 AM

Sorry, ... I’m a fan of a short actions so a .243 Win. , 260 Rem. , 7mm-08 or 308 Win. would do well as lots of others...:D

okgobbler 02-14-2008 07:46 AM

7mm-08 it is then.

idunno 02-14-2008 07:49 AM

I'd probably go between there with something like a 280 Remington or a 7mm-08. Depends on if you like short or long action

doubleA 02-14-2008 08:11 AM

Konnari, you only think you have it bad.:D I am thinking of 270 WSM or something in 6.5 mm to fill the gap, on the low end a 260 Rem or the 264 Win mag for the high end. They are going to fill the bullet weight gap between the 120 gr .25 cal and the 165 gr .30 cal. and they are relatively flat shooting.

RugerM77.270 02-14-2008 08:26 AM

I'd go with the 7mm-08 I think it is just what you are looking for.

eldeguello 02-14-2008 08:33 AM

ORIGINAL: konnari

Hi fellas….

I cant get rid of this “buy a new rifle disease” that I’m always caching these days…..I just bought a new rifle two weeks ago and I’m already thinking of what too buy next !! Has anyone else had this same problem with this damn illness [&:]?

Ok…the question is what cartridge between my 25-06 and .300 win mag do I need ? I think there is a gap that I need to close…or do I need to see a Doctor ? :D

Yes. Have had this affliction to some degree or the other, ever since my mother gave me "that damn capgun" at about age three. According to her, I have been "gun crazy" ever since. She blamed herself for this. But since I came from a long line of men who were "technology addicts", I claim it is an honest problem. I do have different interests from time to time, long-range rifles, caplock muzzleloaders, flintlocks, various hand guns, single-shot Schuetzens, reloading, you name it. Even get interested in cameras, binoculars, boats, flying, horses, and RC aircraft from time to time, but such deviations never last..........

Rammer 02-14-2008 09:07 AM

I have the same problem. I get a gun, play with it for a while, then get tired of it and want another one... I thought after I got 2 more AR lowers I'd be happy.....Now I am craving a 1911, and a CZ527 Varmint Kevlar, and a Marlin 30-30, and a XD 9 Service, and a.........................the list goes on...................................and on......................................and on....................:D

Yep, I'm addicted. ;)

renfrowridge 02-14-2008 09:28 AM

Take a look at the 6.5 great round

salukipv1 02-14-2008 09:58 AM

haha, I had to think, once you have everything do you need a new rifle? I really don't want everything just somethign to cover from .223-.458 calibers, and to be able to hunt anything. I'm still not there, after that, who knows maybe additional rifles will come though I think I'd change out rifles instead of just adding to the collection.

I really don't think that's a big gap between a .25-06 and .300 mag, I have a .270 and .300 mag, and there's no gap for me. Might be a stretch, but I tend to think of my .270, your .25-06 as the muley cartridge, and then elk the 300 etc....I think theyre close enough too if you feel undergunned with the .25-06 then go with the .300 and its not overly powerful. one could say get a .270 or .30-06 though I feel the .25 is so close to the .270 and the.30-6 is kinda like a .300 mag, so dead inbetween would be some 7mm round? but if yo uget a 7mm mag thats just kinda like a worse .300 mag in my opinion, id rather have a .300 for elk, and if youre using the 7mm on deer, why? the .25 is fine, so is the .270, I'd say look elsehwere, either bigger, .338 .375, or smaller .22-250?

mello_collins 02-14-2008 10:44 AM

How about a 338-06 or a 35 whelin(sp?) Seams like it would be a perfect compliment to the other two.

kirby375 02-14-2008 11:40 AM

Get one of everything, just to make sure : )

Folically Challenged 02-14-2008 12:16 PM

ORIGINAL: konnari

Hi fellas….

A voice of caution, here:

I had the disease last July, & ended upbuying a Savage 7mm-08. It never "felt right", and it shot quite poorly for what I was expecting. I had gone through several different kinds of ammo, trying to find one that suited its appetite, but found no winners. After sending it back to the factory over the holidays, it seems only slightly better.

I thought that experience would have CURED me of the disease, but then I happened across a 7x57 Remington Mountain Rifle whilesurfing another sitein December, and an hour and a half later, I was at the bank getting a cashier's check made out to a stranger 1,500 miles away! ANOTHER scope, ANOTHER set of mounts, and ANOTHER "n" boxes of ammo later, I think I finally may have cured myseflf.

This time, I'm in LOVE with the rifle, but I've considered the time, energy, & frustration this disease has cost me, & have decided that it's just not worth it anymore. This new rifle is yet another model 700; all-up, it's only 8 oz. less than my .30-06 (Mtn vs. CDL); and it won't do anything any better than the '06 will. I'm definitely keeping the rifle, as it reminds me so much of my father's rifle from when I was a wide-eyed kid. Still,the wholeexperience has served to turn me into a "1-rifle" man. Perhaps this wouldn't have happened if I hadn't started out with an '06!

(Please don't mention this to my .243, .223,.22lr...)

Seriously, though, I went out & bought scopes that I'm not all that thrilled with, especially when I consider what I went through comparing models side-by-side, and by internet. I now have an entire wardrobe dresser full of factory ammo in different cartridges, as well asthe spent casings of their departed bretheren. My safe is nearly full (and don't EVER believea safe's capacity claims!). I've had to buy more cleaning rods, jags, and brushes. And I shoot my main rifle less because I've been playing around with different rifles I'm not likely to take out into the field. Oh, Ihave several seldom-used handguns, too!

As for your case, I'd stay right where you are with the .25-'06 and the .300 Win. Or, if you DO decide you need something else, do some soul-searching to figure out exactly WHY. If there's a volume of internet forum praise for 1 brand or model of rifle, or if you're being swept away by the mavens of any 1 certain cartridge, I'd suggest you stand your ground. On the other hand, if you book a hunt for Cape Buffalo, then you're rightly entitled to a new rifle. For just about anything less,your.300 is more than adequate.

Familiarize yourself with YOUR rifle, learn its intricacies, then spend your energy, effort, and $$$getting it out into the field often enough to earn plenty ofstories for a lifetime.

Soapbox dismounted. Tale of woe ended.

FC

oldelkhunter 02-14-2008 12:28 PM

You have all areas covered 22lr for plinking and squirrels 223 for plinking and varmints 25-06 for Deer Size animals 300 win mag for Elk and larger , 338 for Elk and larger(overlap) 9.3x62 for Elk and Larger just not as flat shooting as a 300 or 338 but to 300 yards it is an overlap of the 300,338 . Just.buy a gun chambered in a rifle that interests you and if you don't like it send it down the road,.. At this point you have all bases covered for here and most shooting in Alaska,Africa with what is sitting in your safe..

James B 02-14-2008 02:51 PM

270 or 280 would be my choice but a 6.5x55 or 7mm-08/7x57 Mauser would also fit.

After years of being overcome by this deasese, a good shrink may be cheaper.;). BUT not as much fun:D

elLOCOmutha 02-14-2008 03:00 PM

I just bought myself a Ruger .375 Alaskan...love this rifle! I can take any varmit in North America and if I decide to go to Africa and take a rhino i'm set. Now I just have to start reloading the brass..

James B 02-14-2008 03:27 PM

I think that the 375 Ruger is a great cartridge that will also find a home in Alaska and the NWT. Even though they are not cheap they are not priced to bad for a true DG cartridge. I agree that reloading is a must at least for now.

Rammer, You make me wish I was still selling guns. (In your area.):D

Rammer 02-14-2008 11:57 PM

James B - Every time I walk into Sodak AJ (the younger guy) and Scott both get big grins on their faces. A few weeks back I walked in and AJ goes, "hey there is my favorite customer." Not a good thing to be known for at a gunshop. ;)

konnari 02-15-2008 03:27 AM

Thanks fellas……

Especially Folically Challenged and Oldelkhunter……After some long thinking and having a good nights sleep I’m much happier with what I already have in my save…..:)

When I will stop making babies... and become an old men I will maybe consider a dream African safari and buy my self a big bore rifle for that trip, until then I’m done (hopefully) ! :D

Wolf killer 02-15-2008 10:37 AM

I think you have all you bases covered. I fell into the same trap you are in 12-years ago. I have grown out of it, and regret buying all the rifles I did.

IF I could do it all over again? I would buy all top quality rifles & top quality scopes. I would own fewer rifles. The rifles I have bought in the past,have too much caliber "over-lap".

My advise, space your rifle calibers out to cover all the game you hunt, with the fewest rifles.
Example:
22lr.
25-06 or 270 (flip a coin)
416 or 458 If dangerous game is on your list?

gunnermhr 02-15-2008 11:18 AM

Well if your looking to fill the gap between a 25-06 and 300 win mag I'd start with a 25wssm then go to a, 257 Roberts AI, then6.5x284, then a 270 win, then 280, 284, 7 short mag 7 long mag any other 7mm you can think of, then30-06, You get the idea!!:D

CZ2506 02-15-2008 12:09 PM

I think it was Jack O'Conner who said "...beware of a man with only one gun, because he'll know how to shoot it." Now,having only one gun seems pretty extreme, but the more guns you have the less time you can spend with any one of them. Lately, I've been shooting my 25-06 almost exclusively just so I'm a better shot with it. Of course, when I say exclusively,that dosen't count shotguns or pistols. Or .22's. Or blackpowder. Or lever guns (they're just too much fun to let sit). Or Black Guns (see previous reason).

bigtim6656 02-15-2008 01:46 PM

i think alot of people get this for a few reason they never get what they realy want.
Two they want to be on top of all there buddies
three there like me and just want everything

robert4570 02-15-2008 08:01 PM

I've had the "new rifle disease" for some 20 years now and it is costly.
Like someone stated , as soon as you buy one you're thinkin of another .....kinda of like women I guess.;)