Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Self Defense handgun help. -NO LEGAL ADVICE NEEDED!- >

Self Defense handgun help. -NO LEGAL ADVICE NEEDED!-

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Self Defense handgun help. -NO LEGAL ADVICE NEEDED!-

Old 02-13-2008, 12:18 PM

Default Self Defense handgun help. -NO LEGAL ADVICE NEEDED!-

I am interested in buying a self defense handgun for a friend. I want it to be small (for smaller hands) but nothing smaller than a 9mm. I would also like it to have a red/green laser on it. I know alot of semi autos are thinner than revolvers and easier to carry concealed but would like opinions on this. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks!
Old 02-13-2008, 12:57 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Self Defense handgun help.

First off you can not purchase a hand gun for someone else this is considered a straw purchase and is illegal. They will need to purchase it themself. Check your local ATF or dealer for rules and regulations on hand gun purchases in your state.
Old 02-13-2008, 01:30 PM

How about if someone is selling a handgun from a want ad in the paperand I buy it and give it to my friend...
Dude the part about me buying a handgun for my friend isn't the point of the thread.
Old 02-13-2008, 01:32 PM
Spike

Actually, in some cases, you can buy a firearm to give to someone else. It is only a straw purchase and illegal if that person is having you buy it becausehe or she is not legallycapable of buying one for him/herself.

Example of legal situation/transaction: For Christmas last year, I bought as a gift for my father, a Marlin 336 .30-30. I used my money to pay for it, and it was a gift for someone who would have been legally able to buy and posess it. Perfectly legal transaction for anything you need to fill out the ATF 4473 paperwork for.

Example of an illegal transaction: Your friend who has a felony conviction gives you money to proceed to buy them a gun. This is a straw purchase because it is not your money, and you are buying it for someone who can't legally buy or posess it.

Officially your best bet is to take your friend to a shooting range that rents firearms, rent a bunch of different ones, and then let your friend buy whatever he/she wants. Just give your friend the cash money as a gift instead of the gun, that way you don't have to worry about the situation at all.

*That all having been said, in no way am I attempting to give legal advice. Consult the regulations or an attorneyyourself to be sure.

Now, onto the gun question: Not all semi autos are smaller than revolvers. My 1911 is about the same thickness as the cylinder on my J frame S&W .357mag revolver. Either conceals just fine with the right holster and clothing choices. Your friend just has to decide what fits the hand and body type/build best and go from there.
Old 02-13-2008, 01:35 PM

Thanks for the advice about the shooting range and renting. Thats a great idea.
I was looking at the Kel-Tec 9mm (you can get crimson trace lasers for them). I was also looking at the S&W airlite revolvers.
Old 02-13-2008, 01:54 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: elLOCOmutha

How about if someone is selling a handgun from a want ad in the paperand I buy it and give it to my friend...
Dude the part about me buying a handgun for my friend isn't the point of the thread.
No disrespect towards you or your friend. But reallityis, the whole part of the thread as stated is about your friend and your purchase per ATF regulations. You may want to refraze your question to get a better response. Ted Nugentmay not be as proud from your response as well considering your forum name???
Old 02-13-2008, 01:59 PM
Spike

My SW airweight is an MP360. Scandium frame, SS cylinder, glow in the dark front sight. Chambered for .357mag. The weight of the gun empty is roughly 13oz. If the person you're looking for is in any way scared of huge muzzle blast and hellacious recoil, this is not the gun to get. With a gun this light, even .38spl is extremely snappy. This is not a gun you buy to shoot for fun or anything, but you have to grit your teeth and force yourself to practice with it. One day at the range I made it through 50 rounds of full power .357magnum in it, and it nearly made my hands go numb, even switching hands every couple of cylinders.

Is your friend a so-called "gun person", who enjoys shooting? If not, then you absolutely need to find a gun this friend will be comfortable with enough to shoot on a regular basis. If this person won't practice/shoot on a regular basis, forget about the gun, it won't help anybody who doesn't practice at least occasionally. Make sure the friend knows all about how to use the iron sights before moving up to the laser/gizmos. Gizmos can fail probably at the least opportune time, while chances are the iron sights will always work.
Old 02-13-2008, 02:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think buying a handgun for a friend is foolish at best. Especially a Kel-Tec. Why would you bring that kind of liability into your life. If you do something so foolish you better have an excellent paper trail. Even with such a paper trail you could still end up in court should that firearm be involved in a shooting whether defensive or not.

If you're taking offense at me calling your actions foolish then you're likely proving me right.

Tom
Old 02-13-2008, 02:05 PM

Reality is that I can buy a handgun from a private citizen whenever I want to. I can also give that handgun to any law abiding citizen that I want to as a gift. Not everyone buys firearms through sports shops and dealers. It's perfectly legal..
Stop preaching and jacking the thread.
The advice you gave is incorrect and you jumped the gun (no pun intended) by assuming I was buying a firearm through a dealer etc. You know what they say about people that assume things right?
As for Ted....he speaks for himself and he is just fine with my nickname, I am a member of his personal website and forums and have spoken with him many times. Hence his nickname...The Motor City Madman.
Goodday..
Old 02-13-2008, 02:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dude I want to be your friend. Will you buy me a gun?

The Kel-Tec is one of the smallest but it also packs a good punch. I have a friend with one in 380 and is no wimp but finds the guns jumps a lot due to being so light. A 9mm would have even more.

Look at some of the kahr subcompacts I am looking at them for my wife to be because she travels with work alot.

The sugestion about renting at the range was the best bet though. Everyone should shoot a few and find there style before purchasing.

Oh and loco I think RugerMike was trying to help you not condemn you so calm down and take it with a grain of salt he has his own shop and is just trying to give you a little insight.

Quick Reply: Self Defense handgun help. -NO LEGAL ADVICE NEEDED!-

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.