Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Shooting 500 Yards >

Shooting 500 Yards

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Shooting 500 Yards

Old 02-12-2008, 08:25 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Shooting 500 Yards

ORIGINAL: SwampCollie

ORIGINAL: 700xcr
The sitting and kneeling one and consitantly hitting 6" dia. rocks at a lasered 500yds.
Good Lord what range finder are you using that will give a range bounced off a 6" target at 500 yards? I want one. [qoute] Originally ranged bigger targets and then started to take out the 6" dia. rocks around a Folgers red plastic coffee container that somebody left in the canyon.

500 yards ain't no joke. Anything past about 350 and you are entering a whole differnt world. Its great to practice that far, it can teach you a lot about the rifle you are shooting, and its pretty fun as well. If you are getting 1" groups from you T3 then I think you are more than ready to give it a go. Just let that barrel cool off. Study your ballistic chart.... and see how close it really is.
Old 02-12-2008, 10:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

you're golden to 500yds, just find which ammo works best, I'd go 180grs over 150's, go 300yds, then 400yds, then 500yds.

Old 02-12-2008, 11:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

Only way to know is try. If you've already tried to 300 then you have some idea of how your current ammo performed and if it held a relative grouping to the other yardages(by this I don't necessarily me MOA but rather it didn't spray all over the paper)then you shouldbe goodto start bumping it out. I test my new loads in 50 yard increments past 300 yards, it just gives me more time to learn the load and builds confidence. As soon as my groups start going wonky I stop. Can be the result of shooter, elements or load but personally when things aren't going well shooting more is pretty much useless.

As far as factory ammo, I reload however this summer I hadsome 150gr NBT's (Federal Premium) given to me, seeing I have a handload with the same bullet I thought I'd compare the 2 for S&G's. Things were fine out to 300 yards, not up to my handload standards but it was holding fat MOA's. At 400 yards my approx. 4" group 100 yards previous over doubled?? I let the rifle cool, fired a 3 shot group with my handload and ruled out shooter, elements, etc as it turned in typical results. The next session I tried again to achive the same results past 300 yards. Now this is just one case and doesn't apply to anyone else's ammo or rifle..however the point is, only way to know for sure is SHOOT and questions will be answered.

FWIW I use the same scope for shooting on the range as in the field hunting 3.5x10.Currently only my 22-250 has higher mag scope(6-18) due to it sits on a varmit rig which has much smaller targets then biggame animals. Nothing wrong with a higher mag scope, though if your planning to switch back for hunting and the longer range is just for fun at this point...maybe not required.

Best of Luck
Old 02-13-2008, 06:10 AM

The whole thing with the scope is its a 3x-9x Nikon Buckmaster and the crosshairs seem to be really thick aand makes it hard to see the target even at 200 yards. I dont mind it for hunting because i will never shoot over 300 yards.
Old 02-13-2008, 09:52 AM

Ridge Runner,
If you dont mind me asking what kind and power scope do you use for shooting 500+ yards? IM thinking a 4x-12x with a fine duplex and im not sure what brand yet. IM lloking at Bushnell Elite, or Leupold VX-II.
Old 02-13-2008, 10:26 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: SwampCollie

ORIGINAL: 700xcr
The sitting and kneeling one and consitantly hitting 6" dia. rocks at a lasered 500yds.
Good Lord what range finder are you using that will give a range bounced off a 6" target at 500 yards? I want one.

500 yards ain't no joke. Anything past about 350 and you are entering a whole differnt world. Its great to practice that far, it can teach you a lot about the rifle you are shooting, and its pretty fun as well. If you are getting 1" groups from you T3 then I think you are more than ready to give it a go. Just let that barrel cool off. Study your ballistic chart.... and see how close it really is.
You gotta love this webpage. I hear the wildest things on it.

Old 02-13-2008, 02:15 PM

I was at a local gun shop and he has a Bushnel tactial scope that is a fixed 10 power im thinking about getting. He will sell it to me for $220.
Old 02-13-2008, 07:19 PM

ORIGINAL: Ridge Runner

ok, I've also heard the nikon turrets were better than average, as far as repeatability, a tip for dialing the range, when you dial up say 4 MOA, dial up 5 and back one, then when returning to zero, go back past an MOA or so and back to "zero"
RR
Ive heard to do that before but why?

Old 02-14-2008, 12:05 PM

Good pointer Ridge, I'm going to start giving that a try. I've always done a "settling shot", but that sounds much cheaper. lol
Old 02-14-2008, 12:09 PM

Ohh ok. My dad always tapped on the scope tube so i jsut kinda started doing it. He said it was to make sure the crosshairs settled right.

Quick Reply: Shooting 500 Yards

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.