HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Savage 99 .308 - scoped or peep sights? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/232023-savage-99-308-scoped-peep-sights.html)

TUK101 02-11-2008 09:05 PM

Savage 99 .308 - scoped or peep sights?

I just picked up a Savage 99 in 308 last weekend and am torn between getting peep sights put on it, or scoping it. I already tried a scope on it since mounts for it where a whopping $6 for the pair, and I wanted to see how it shoots. I am very impressed with the groups that I got out of it. So the question is, what would you do? Scope or peep sights? If scoped, what power? I have a 3X9 on it atm, but am leaning towards a 4X or maybe 5X if I leave it scoped. Peep sights are getting hard to find for the ole 99 too, but I found a Williams fp for it on Ebay that I put a bid on.

mauser06 02-11-2008 10:22 PM

RE: Savage 99 .308 - scoped or peep sights?

thats all personal choice and what your plan to do with it...

here in PA i dont think i'll ever hunt with a deer rifle without a scope...but thats because i have to count points before shooting...i can always spot bone...but now i gotta count the points...just like a scope for that. my style of hunting, by the time id get binocs up, it would be gone...

i also prefer a variable power scope....just personal prefrence. for normal deer hunting a 2-7 or 3-9 is plenty...i just like a scope on low power for 99% of my hunting...but i like to know i can crank it up to 9x if i need to reach out there...most of my deer have been killed within 40yds of me...think 1 was 75 and 1 was 150ish...never took the scope from 3 or 4x...because alot of them come by at 20-30yds..the woods here are thick and alot of time its close shootin...

assuming your deer hunting or similar with the rifle...but, peeps can be just as accurate and are easy to get on target quick if you learn to use them...if your shots arent normally far they are a great option...id probably shoot a peep on a pump or lever gun if i didnt have to count to 4 before pulling the trigger...

bigbulls 02-11-2008 11:24 PM

Hard to realize the effective range of the .308 in a hunting situationwith out a scope of some sort.

Rammer 02-12-2008 09:29 AM

I have a Model 99 in 300 Savage with a fixed 4x32 on top of it. I've been tossing around the idea to throw a 2-7 or a 3-9 on it for years.

sjalter 02-12-2008 10:11 AM

Is it possible to have both? To mehaving bothwould be ideal because if your scope ever got knocked off zero you would still have iron sights to fall back on.

Mojotex 02-12-2008 10:36 AM

Most of what I'll say will be a repeat of others' comments. Adding my $.02, I would scope the rifle. SOmething like a 1.5x6-40mmor sosounds about rght. Excellent for woods at low power and the 6X will suffice for longer range. As already pointed out, a peep sight (or open sight) is great if the light conditions are good and your eyes are "young". But apeep can become "clogged", and therefore more or less useless in snowy or rainy conditions. I have learned the hard way that you get what you pay for in optics. So buy the best that you can.I would think that you want a scope that is rugged, clear, crisp and able to function in very low light - right at sunset and early daybreak times. I'll defend this opinion to the hilt ... you will not get these characteristics in inexpensive scopes.Been there and have the T-Shirt! And have seen far too many of my buddies make the same mistake.

savage3006 02-12-2008 12:03 PM

ORIGINAL: sjalter

Is it possible to have both? To mehaving bothwould be ideal because if your scope ever got knocked off zero you would still have iron sights to fall back on.
]

That would assume you use the see-through rings. Those are not really good (not strong enough) and the scope is also too high. I would not do that. Personnaly I would go with the scope. As you get older, the scope makes it easy on your eyes.

waiting_for_a_gift 02-12-2008 02:10 PM

I use a 1.5 X 5 X 20 Simmons Whitetail Classic on my .308, and I love it. I basically keep it on 1.5, but I use the variable power often if I have the time and the game is far. The field of view and sight picture are outstanding on 1.5. I have a 30-30 with peep sights as an alternate rifle, and that works out well. Maybe you could get specialized scope mounts, like a tip-off, or even removable, and have both sights on the same rifle. That would be sweet. My dad used a rifle with tip-off mounts for many years with no problem, although I don't think he ever tipped the scope off in his life.

Troutman10 02-12-2008 04:09 PM

My buddy has a 99 in 300 Savage with a 3-9x40. He's shot more deer with that gun. I would consider one if I was a righty. Everyone needs a lever action in the gun collection because they have an American old west feeling. Just my .02.

eldeguello 02-13-2008 08:24 AM

Scopes are always superior, BUT use a QD mount, and put a receiver sight base on it that you can slip a slide into and have an instant peep if you need it. I'd use a Lyman 66 on the rear, and a Rdefiled Sourdough type blade on the front. A good peep is plenty good enough out to 250 yards, IF you can plainly see the game animal.