Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Shotgun/Rifle in truck back window? >

Shotgun/Rifle in truck back window?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Shotgun/Rifle in truck back window?

Old 02-11-2008, 08:08 PM
Spike

Default Shotgun/Rifle in truck back window?

I remember when I was a kid seeing people drive around with either a shotgun or a rifle in the back window of their truck. Now I'm getting old but I'm not over the hill...yet. Can someone tell me why we don't see that very much anymore? Is it because the guns are much more likely to be stolen nowadays, or is there some law prohibiting carrying firearms in the back window of your pickup truck, or is it just socially unacceptable, or is it for some other reason all together. I just remember it being much more prevalent 25 years or so ago.

Another question:

What if an individual came from an afternoon deer hunt to pick up there kids from school and the deer rifle was in a gun case in the bed of the truck. Is that breaking school policy? If a teacher saw the gun case in the bed of the truck and reported you...what do you think would happen?

How does the law read regarding concealed weapons? If you have your deer rifle stuffed under your truck seat is that concealed? What if your rifle is in a roof mount that you bolt to the roof of you truck...is that considered concealed?

Just curious, it would be nice if we could share some knowledge or opinions on the carrying of guns in public or from point A to point B.

Any input or opinions are welcomed.
Old 02-11-2008, 08:17 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Shotgun/Rifle in truck back window?

In Illinois:

1) Why don't you see guns in windows? It's illegal here. Even if it wasn't, the city/suburb folks are pretty scared of guns anyways. Thank the media.

2) ANY gun in a "gun free school zone" is a fellony and that mistake would get you arrested. Couple that with overzealous prosecutors, and your in for a world of hurt for an oversight.
Old 02-11-2008, 08:26 PM
Typical Buck

Its illegal in Michigan.
Old 02-11-2008, 08:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Because its cheaper to get a bumper sticker made that says...."Yo... break into my truck and steal all my sh*t".
Old 02-11-2008, 08:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

People drive around with guns in their windows here all the time.
Old 02-11-2008, 08:36 PM
Banned

Lots of guys do it in VA, I wouldnt go near a school though. I wouldnt stuff it under a seat either. The rule here is in plain sight, I believe. I talked to a state trooper who said its most likely a case by case deal. If you get pulled over with one in a shooting bag, and state that you have a gun, most likely you're ok. Act like an a$$hole and then he sees it in the back without warning, they get a little jumpy. Best way is in a case, preferably locked. Cant drive and shoot anyway, dont see why its a problem. I use a rack in the back of my truck going from home to my hunting spot. Never stop anywhere in between, and its in plain view, so no problems.
Old 02-11-2008, 10:13 PM

Buddy of mine has an Ar-15 in his back window. When i travel with my weapon i have the ammo in the back seat and the gun in the trunk, that way there is no way for me to be able to load and fire my weapon without getting out of the car.
Old 02-12-2008, 05:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Lately, I'd have to agree that there is no better advertising to a would-be criminal than a weapon in the back window. They're stealing police weapons now out of squad cars, why would they leave my personal vehiclealone?

Aside from that, what better way to thump, rumble,and bang your firearms around. Yes, some are made for it (like ARs with iron sights), but I think you'd have to ask yourself what might be served by carrying a scoped rifle that way?
Old 02-12-2008, 06:44 AM
Fork Horn

Yep. Add NRA stickers, Browning stickers, etc... to the 'Rip Me Off' advertising on trucks. What are they thinking???
Old 02-12-2008, 08:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

Is it because the guns are much more likely to be stolen nowadays, or is there some law prohibiting carrying firearms in the back window of your pickup

Well, it may be illegal someplace, but I have never lived anywhere where it was prohibited by law. But the danger of theft is very serious these days, and you know how law enfrocement goes bananas today about stolen guns! I think a truck rack would NOT qualify as adequately secure, unless you never left the vehicle unattended.

I personally would never subject any of my current guns to such rough transportation. I gave away my truck gun, a totally "naked" Longbranch No. 4 SMLE .303 from WWII. I bought it for $5.00. It would consistently hit a 55-gallon drum at 100 yards with issue sights and the old Dominion 215-grain round-nose factory load. I figured any moose I encountered at ranges under 25 yards with this rifle was dead meat!

Quick Reply: Shotgun/Rifle in truck back window?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.