HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   German k98 8mm Mauser (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/231546-german-k98-8mm-mauser.html)

jcsfootball 02-09-2008 09:13 AM

German k98 8mm Mauser

ok so my grandfather gave me his German k98 mauser that he brought back from World War II. i got a Ruger M77 in .270 soon after that, so i already have a deer rifle. i have a good bit of ammo for the mauser and its still shootable and i enjoy shooting it. should i put a scope mount and a scope on it so i can take it deer hunting as well, or just leave it like it is? or is there any scope/scope mount that you can just clip onto the rifle without having to drill into it? the only reason why i wouldn't put a scope on the rifle is that it would damage the rifle's re-sale value if i ever wanted/needed to sell it. what should i do?

kirby375 02-09-2008 09:16 AM

RE: German k98 8mm Mauser

If it is a WW2 K98 with nazi markings, by all means leave it alone. They are very collectable, and besides, they're fun to shoot as is.

jcsfootball 02-09-2008 09:21 AM

it is from WWII but not all of the parts match..i think the bolt is the only part that doesn't match so it's only worth like $300-$400. i don't have anywhere to shoot close to me, and two properties that i can hunt are both an hour away, so i don't get to shoot all that often. thats why i'd kinda like to put a scope on it so i can use more

devil dog 02-09-2008 09:37 AM

With the history behind your rifle, your grandfather brought it back,I would leave it alone, the reason the bolt doesnt match is because when our troops returned home the bolts were taken from the rifles and shipped back seperate, when they got back to the states they had to just grab a bolt for their rifle!, to me, it makes the rifle worth more than ones that are even being imported here now with matching numbers. Some companies make non-drill scope mounts, but Ive never seen one that will hold a zero, waste of money!. By the way, you mentioned sellin it, if your not aware, your grandfather fought in one hell of a war and survived to bring it back, you should understand the real value of that weapon and hand it down through generations, teach the younger generations the sacrifices that were made for them to be liveing in this great nation!.

8mm/06 02-09-2008 10:01 AM

Leave it and shoot it as is,.. It'll make a fine back-up for a good weather day or just as a historical plinker.
Strong action and a real piece of history. Has been proven very effective on much large game including man!

jcsfootball 02-09-2008 10:03 AM

oh i do understand the value of it, i just want to be able to take it out and use it more than i do. i don't really know how to work the sights on the thing, and to me it's not really fun if i can't hit what i'm trying to shoot at. i was looking online and found this site http://www.scopemounts.com/...it has an insta-mount and it looks like it just clamps on over the bolt...does anyone have any experience with these?

Briman 02-09-2008 11:18 AM

The S&K mounts that replace the rear sight leaf will work fine if you lockttight the screws in place.

The sights are real easy to work- put the target on top of the front post centered in the rear notch. Doesn't get much simpler than that. The sights are plenty good enough for deer hunting if you learn how to use them.

And please don't alter the rifle. It would be about as tasteful as your grandfather giving you his pocketwatch on his deathbed and having you take it apart, throw away the movement and repalce the innards with those from a digital watch.

johnnybravoo77 02-09-2008 11:18 AM

You should be able to adjust the front blade for windage. Just use a flat brass punch and move it in small increments.

eldeguello 02-09-2008 11:54 AM

ORIGINAL: jcsfootball

ok so my grandfather gave me his German k98 mauser that he brought back from World War II. i got a Ruger M77 in .270 soon after that, so i already have a deer rifle. i have a good bit of ammo for the mauser and its still shootable and i enjoy shooting it. should i put a scope mount and a scope on it so i can take it deer hunting as well, or just leave it like it is? or is there any scope/scope mount that you can just clip onto the rifle without having to drill into it? the only reason why i wouldn't put a scope on the rifle is that it would damage the rifle's re-sale value if i ever wanted/needed to sell it. what should i do?
There are some "no-drill" mounts that fit the Kar 98K Mausers. I think there is one that fits onto the rear sight base. You do have to remove the sight leaf, but that comes off easily and of course fits right back on, retoring the rifle to original. The one drawback I see is that the scope is mounted in the "scout scope" position, and requires an intermediate eye relief scope such as that made by Leupold.

I think B-Square and/or Millett make such a mount.

Since a great number of rifles like yours have been "bubba-ized", I suggest you consider preserving it in its original condition!

jcsfootball 02-09-2008 01:13 PM

ok thanks for all of your help! i wouldn't dare alter the rifle in any way, i just wanted to know if there was a detachable scope and mount i could put on it, where i could easily use it for deer hunting, but preserve the value of the gun