Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 .577 NE or .600 NE double rifle? >

.577 NE or .600 NE double rifle?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

.577 NE or .600 NE double rifle?

Old 02-07-2008, 06:32 PM

Default RE: .577 NE or .600 NE double rifle?

ORIGINAL: CommonSense

ORIGINAL: longrifle1000

ORIGINAL: salukipv1

I'm young and hunt plenty
Yes, I can tell by the moronically inquesative nature of your posts.
Why don't you use some "commonsense" and use the block user button. All you are doing is making yourself look like a jack.
Yes, and the boy wonder is some kind of genius? why are you tampering in matters that are none of your bees wax?
Why am I tampering in matter that are none of my bees wax? Why is it any business of your business? What, are you the content police? Only threads that mean something to you are worthy?

Give me a friggin break.

Old 02-07-2008, 06:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

I swear if we aren't fighting about guns, then its ethics. When ethics get cast aside its politics, then we go back to politcians ethics, those threads will get hi-jacked about politicians stances on gun ethics.

Heck we never seem to fight over anything worth fighting about.... like how much Big 12 Football teams suck?

In the meantime now we are fighting about whose business it is to be fighting in the first place!

For crying out loud... if you lack the mental equipment to keep your posts off a thread you have nothing positive to contribute to, you really ought just keep your posts off here altogether. I'd make a fair bet that 25% of the membership on the HNI forums are under the age of 21.... and you could make it 50% under the age of 35.... which from a political standpoint is too young to matter because you can't be president anyway.

I challenge everyone to be nice to one another. Threads go up specifically so people can debate, and debate is fine... argue your point or idea, don't take it any further than that.
Old 02-07-2008, 10:10 PM

ORIGINAL: Maine Shooter

Yes, and the boy wonder is some kind of genius? why are you tampering in matters that are none of your bees wax?
If you've got some personal issue keep it off the forums. I have yet to see any problems with this young fellow's inquisitive nature. I see much more "young" behavior by someone continually having nothing but negative and snide remarks in response to any postsalukipv1makes.
Oh, go about your business, you old fart.

I think basically what everyone is trying to say is that you've made five, six comments on this one thread and none of them have been in any way helpful....more like demeaning. Honestly I think the majority of people on this site enjoy seeing younger people get on here and ask questions. It's good seeing people new to the sport show enthusiasm. Older folks running them off because they think a topic is below them.....not so much.
Old 02-08-2008, 06:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: SwampCollie

ORIGINAL: salukipv1

I'd never want a .700 NE, but a 2,4,or 8 bore, might be an idea! I don't think so though, I saw one once not sure which one it was, but it shot a bullet of 1" diameter. crazy. Sounds like a .470 or .500 has much more of a place in modern hunting than .577 or .600 I read that even back then most of those PH used a 375-.458 then only in thick brush after a woulded beast did they grab a .577
I understand being young and inquisitive. Don't let anyone hold it againest you. No one here was born with this sort of useless knowledge in our minds. Judgement comes from experience and experience comes from poor judgement.

I'll throw in my two cents on your question in a minute, but since you are young and inquisitive, I thought I might recommend some really interesting reading on just this topic. Reading that I enjoyed when I was younger (though it was hot off the presses then...some of it anyway), and still really enjoy today.

For the purposes of Ivory hunting, the most readily availble books to you are going to be written by Peter Hathway Capstick. He is the author of the Death in the Long Grass series (if you can call it that). I've found his books at Barnes and Noble, and they are online in paper back for a quite reasonable price. He also wrote a fair bit on ballistics in some of his books... especially the two he did on famous figures of Africana. If I recall, his writings on Karamojo Bell, Jim Southerland, Pondoro Taylor, John Boyes (one of my favorites, though not an ivory hunter per sea) and FC Selous all referenced Ivory guns at length. His last book, a biography of his friend Wally Johnson, got more involved with exactly what went in to ivory trade hunting... though again if memory serves me, Wally used the .375 as much as anything, and even the 9.3 Mauser and the .318.

Robert Ruark is another must read author. As you are young, The Old Man and the Boy is something every hunting youth should have read by the time he gets a learners permit to operate a vehical. Plenty of adults could use a refresher of the life lessons taught in that book as well. Horn of the Hunter, and Use Enough Gun are also must reads for the Africaphile.

Plenty of other authors have written on the topic, however, most of their books were only printed once or twice, and that was early to middle of the last century. Few are found on the open market, and they bring a price that rivals college textbooks (often in excess of $300 each). I could go on, but I'll get to your question:

I have only read about the .577 and .600. According to various sources (probably Capstick to be honest) there were only a handful (less than 30)of .577 NITROS ever made in the era of market ivory hunting (there was also a .577 black powder version, used by the likes of Arthur Neumann.. who was run through the middle by an elephant tusk and left for dead... but survived none the less). Apparently there were even LESS .600s... somewhere between 5 and 10 ever built in that time period. I suspect that Rigby, Blaser, Kreighoff or H&H would build you one now. Perhaps Dakota as well. Blasers will be the most affordable. I think I remember seeing a .470 for sale under $10,000, which for a double rifle is a bargain.

When you start reading Capstick a lot, you'll read in his later books his thoughts on "Taylor Knock Out Value", which was drawn up by Pondoro Taylor. Taylors "chart" so to speak, references the relative merit of a caliber in its ability to save a hunters life should he narrowly miss the brain of a rapidly approaching elephant. In essence, what are the chances that a bullet passing close to, but not through an elephants brain will "knock out" the elephant and save a man's life. Its built quite completely on theory, subjective opinon, and granted a fair amount of experience and close calls. In light of modern ballistic studies, its absurd to call such a study "scientific", but in the times it was regarded by some as gospel. Interesting background none the less. Taylor gave the .600 Nitro the highest possible score on his chart, with the .577 taking second. Capstick vastly favorted the .375 for just about everything. Nowadays, even the .600 Nitro has been trumped by Roy Weatherby's satalite/dinosaur/whale/anti-tank killing .460 Weatherby. Which is considered the most powerful shoulderfired sporting round ever conceived. It has been written that its almost too much for anything except elephants. I have fired one, both with and without the muzzlebrake, and though I have not had the opportunity to hunt elephant (yet) I would prefer to never fool with one of those things again. Especially the one without the muzzle brake.

My personal choice in a double rifle would be the .470 Nitro, as it is the only one I have personally fired. I will say that the recoil (in a stoutly built [read: heavy... 12+ pounds] rifle) is not much worse than your average magnum .50cal muzzleloader. I thought it was really more of a push than a kick.... though the concussion of the thing is akin to a shoulder fired missle. I shot the rifle four times, which in terms of total ammunition bill was over a half day's wage at the time. The experience was worth it.... not everyday you get that sort of opportunity. Much cheaper to shoot someone elses.
In addition to the books by the "Double-Barrelled Big Bores", I suggest you also read the books by W.D.M. Bell, who at least at one time held the world's record for number of elephants bagged. His experiences will set one to thinks!
Old 02-08-2008, 08:37 AM

Getting back to the original subject, if I were going to have a double built, I would go with the 470NE or maybe the 450/400 3". Just for the sake of romance. I have fired both, and recoil is not severe.I learned my threshold for recoil, whenI bought a 416 remington a few years ago. I decided ifI can't kill it with the 375, it can live : ) If you want to check out the results of shooting a .577, check out, www.accuratereloading.com, see the video section. The guy that administers that site, has an A-Square .577 T-Rex he uses for entertainment purposes, I think the videos are on youtube as well
Old 02-08-2008, 10:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: eldeguello

In addition to the books by the "Double-Barrelled Big Bores", I suggest you also read the books by W.D.M. Bell, who at least at one time held the world's record for number of elephants bagged. His experiences will set one to thinks!

Bell's book is on my to-read list. I've real a lot about him, but never his own personal accounts and thoughts... though I know where his allegiences lie.

I wonder exactly how many neophyte ivory hunters got killed trying brain shots with the .256 Mannlicher? And more over how many of those P.O'd bulls went on to turn rouge and rip through a few natives for fun and profit?
Old 02-08-2008, 03:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Oh, go about your business, you old fart.
My point proven, thank you!
Old 02-08-2008, 08:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with the others. I was young and curious myself at one time. Both of those rounds sound brutal, though. What about a 460Wby Mag in a nice bolt action gun? Throw a 2X scope on it?
Old 02-08-2008, 08:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BarnesX.308

I agree with the others. I was young and curious myself at one time. Both of those rounds sound brutal, though. What about a 460Wby Mag in a nice bolt action gun? Throw a 2X scope on it?

I'd rather have a .470 "double" on me then ever shoot one of those without a muzzle brake again. Even with the brake I think the recoil is as bad, perhaps even worse than the .470. I can't imagine a .577 in a well built gun being much worse. Who knows. The .460 is more powerful though.
Old 02-09-2008, 12:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

I wanted a nice double ever since I saw Stewart Granger drop that bull elephant with his in KING SOLOMON'S MINES. When he dug those two hugh brass hulls out of that gun I thought "WOW"!! I found out years later that that rifle was indeed a .600 Nitro! I believe one of the movie studios still owns it.

I finally did pick upa nice double. But it was not English, nor was it a hugh caliber, a mere 8X60RS. But it is nice, shoots well, is easy to carry, and I understand that Finn Aagard once killed a Cape Buffalo with an 8X60S Mauser. So even the cartridge is adequate for the lower 48.....

Quick Reply: .577 NE or .600 NE double rifle?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.