Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 10mm making  a comeback? >

10mm making a comeback?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

10mm making a comeback?

Old 02-05-2008, 01:17 PM
Typical Buck

Default 10mm making a comeback?

Over on the Michael Bane site, downrange tv, he is reporting from the SHOT show a renewed interest in 10mm. Colt(I know, everybody thought they were dead) is making the Delta Elite again. Sig had a P220 in 10mm. Smith is putting out the 10mm ina revolver, can't remeber the model, 610 maybe?. And I think he said CZ which owns Dan Wesson is going to make one. While I have never owened a 10mm, I have always thought of getting one. I can remember way back when, I had a Delta Elite in my hands and could not stop salivating, I know it was just another Government Model frame, but with those black grips with the Delta emblem on them,,,,,wow. But for some reason that Smith with full moon clips is looking good to me.
Old 02-05-2008, 03:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 10mm making a comeback?

If Colt is redoing their Delta Elite-I hope they get it right this time. The pistol had some functioning problem's, and was definitely over priced. Although I will admit it was a pretty gun. I will add that some of the functioning problems could have been due to the ammo available. There was very little ammo available when the 10mm first came out.

The 40 S&W is so close to the 10mm. I wonder why they would do that. I think Colt would do well if they brought the Anaconda out in a 41 Magnum. I bet that would be a seller. Tom.
Old 02-05-2008, 03:11 PM
Typical Buck

There are also some "rumors" on one of the Colt forums about maybe some new products this year. At the SHOT the did have a Defender compact 45 double action only. Everyone is hoping and the rumors are possibly a return of the revolvers?????
Old 02-05-2008, 03:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Did they stop making the Python?? I thought they were still making them, along with the Peace Maker's in the custom shop. Tom.
Old 02-05-2008, 04:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

As far as I know, the python is DC'd. They had a link to it on the website but it was a technical error they corrected.
Old 02-05-2008, 04:02 PM

ORIGINAL: HEAD0001

The 40 S&W is so close to the 10mm. I wonder why they would do that.

They are only close when ammo companies down load the 10mm. Buffalo Bore has a 10mm load, 180gr pushed to 1,350fps which generates 728 ft-lbs of M.E.

When police departments wanted to switch to the 10mm, they complained of too much recoil for some shooters. So the ammo makers loaded it down to accomodate them. Then the 40 S&W came out and was giving them the same results as the mild 10mm rounds in a smaller package.

But loaded up to it's potential, there is no comparison really.
Old 02-05-2008, 04:18 PM
Typical Buck

No double action revolvers are currently made by Colt, only the single actions. I think I read aslo that a Sheriff's Model single action was at the Colt booth at SHOT. Also I think the problems with the Delta Elite were frame related on the early models not being able to take the increase in recoil from the 10mm, but I think Colt corrected it. But I defenitly would not expect any price reductions from Colt, they have always been high.

Did they stop making the Python?? I thought they were still making them, along with the Peace Maker's in the custom shop. Tom.
Old 02-05-2008, 04:29 PM
Typical Buck

Very true, my Speer reloading manual shows the 10mm right between the .40 and .41mag as far as velocitys go. I know Buffalo Bore and Corbon far exceed these loads and get closer to .41 mag performace. Also a 180 grain bullet is about as big as you can go in a .40 due to the bullet heal of larger bullets being seated to far in the case causing bulging and feeding problems. Speer does show a 200grain bullet for the 10mm but I am not sure how big you can go with it?? I see a 10mm in my position in the future for sure.
ORIGINAL: longrifle1000

The 40 S&W is so close to the 10mm. I wonder why they would do that.

They are only close when ammo companies down load the 10mm. Buffalo Bore has a 10mm load, 180gr pushed to 1,350fps which generates 728 ft-lbs of M.E.

When police departments wanted to switch to the 10mm, they complained of too much recoil for some shooters. So the ammo makers loaded it down to accomodate them. Then the 40 S&W came out and was giving them the same results as the mild 10mm rounds in a smaller package.

But loaded up to it's potential, there is no comparison really.
Old 02-06-2008, 02:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Go to Double Tap for 10mm ammo.

Old 02-06-2008, 06:30 AM

I'd really like to see the 10mm make acome back for ammo avalibility if nothing else. My S&W 1006is my main CCW but I don't shoot it as much as I use to.Practice ammo is scarce and the premium stuff that is avalible is toexpensive for extended range time.

Quick Reply: 10mm making a comeback?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.