Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Knockdown power? >

Knockdown power?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Knockdown power?

Old 02-21-2008, 10:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Knockdown power?

I posted this article on the Firearms Review board as a reply but though it might get more action here.So what makes knockdown power speed, energy or maybe just some luck?

http://www.outdoorlife.com/article.jsp?ID=21010996&page=1&typeID=425& amp;categoryID=1125&adid=T425/C1125
Old 02-21-2008, 11:29 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Knockdown power?

That was interesting reading and the test and conclusion at the end makes sense. I was witness to my friend shooting 2 bull elk with the same bullet/load from his 30-06. The first on dropped on the spot but the oter one, with an almost identical shot placement, just stood thereand shook a bit as if nothing happened. Guess he didn't time his shot right.
Old 02-21-2008, 11:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah I though it was an interesting read is all. I have no opinion on what knock game down instantly. I just put my bullet where it is suppose to go and if it falls great if it runs great I like the tracking.
Old 02-21-2008, 12:05 PM
Typical Buck

In my limited experience, slow and heavy works better than light and fast. I'm prettysure its just luck. I've had 6 bang flops, 4 with 300g ML bullet at 2200 fps(3 boiler room and1 shoulder shot), 1 180g 30-06(2750fps and backbone hit), and 1 130g 270(3100fps heart bambi).Most of the normal boiler room shots run about 40-50 yds, but this ML has put every one drt so far, next year I'll see if its luck or not.
Old 02-21-2008, 12:58 PM
Boone & Crockett

Interesting article. Now, I just need to get an EKG reading on my next deer before I squeeze the trigger...
Old 02-21-2008, 02:21 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: ipscshooter

Interesting article. Now, I just need to get an EKG reading on my next deer before I squeeze the trigger...
I always just ask the deer to tell me when its heart is going to beat. However, being the shadowy masters of the woods they are, they never oblige.

Pretty cool theory, and it makes some sense too.
Old 02-21-2008, 02:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

It makes sense to me.

I've read other articles where writers talked about hitting the shoulder but not the spine (basically a failed high shoulder scapula shot) and having deer pile up on the spot. The theory was that when the shoulder was hit by a large, slower moving bullet, the shoulder acted like a huge hand squeezing a sponge. The blood in the lungs was pushed out of the lungs and into the brain... newton taught us about equal and opposite reations.... so when the blood rushed in, it then rushed back out.... causing a rapid drop in blood pressure, resulting in fainting. The deer of coruse bled out quickly while unconscious. Interesting stuff.

The bit on page 4 about the heartbeat makes perfect sense. Same theory applied.

I shoot my deer high throught he shoulder, which takes out the spine and the back feet fold up and whole deer goes flump on the spot. Never had any reaction other than that. I've shot them in that spot with calibers ranging from .204 Rugers to .330 Dakotas. Same result every time.
Old 02-21-2008, 06:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

Now here is an idea for a new scope. One with a heart monitor on it. What the heck they have ballistic reticles and range finders built into them now. Why not a heart monitor?
Old 02-23-2008, 12:44 AM
Typical Buck

a combination of energy,speed, and accuracy I beleive that hitting solidly makes a good knockdown,whether a slight quartering away into the opposite shoulder or dead broadside straight through both shoulders,I beleive shot placement is the key and some luck sometimes.I killed a 217lb buck one year and couldn't tell where it was hit.I could not stop the deer,I've made some moving shots before with great success and this was another one'Ishot him chasing a doe,When I dressed him I found that I had not lead him enough and struck him at the top of both hams,no blood outside the hide,but that 150grain bullet knocked him down instantly and he never kicked a single kick,luck,some just to hit him running,knock down power,some just to knock him down at 150 yards.but what did it all I dont know,I beleive a combination of several things.
Old 02-23-2008, 09:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm just not convinced there is such a thing, short of a brain shot or upper spinal cord shot. However, some calibers on some animals result in more bang flops than others. Eg, the 270 on deer is goodie.

Quick Reply: Knockdown power?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.