Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 New Firearm Company Concept? >

New Firearm Company Concept?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

New Firearm Company Concept?

Old 02-02-2008, 01:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default New Firearm Company Concept?

Like weatherby and others, having a Proprietary cartridges can limit their availability. My idea, what about claiming the best cartridges only even though they're not the companys own, and only loading quality rounds, I guess that would include some personal preference, but such as follows....

only loading the .220 swift over any other .223 calibers...

the 6mm remington over the .243 Win.

.458 Lott over the .458 win mag and other .458's

I'd have to figure out the rest....I'm sure I'd include some popular yet good rounds too of course.

maybe the .270 win, .300 wsm,

and in turn re-promote some lesser used cartridges yet make them more popular!

Old 02-02-2008, 02:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: New Firearm Company Concept?

If it was my company.....I'd only load...maybe help fill in my gaps? I don't want personal favs, I want the best round in each caliber, course that may be personal preference I know, but if you feel one overwhelmingly is the best vs others, suggest it.....

.223 .220 Swift
.243 6mm Remington
.257 .257 Weatherby? or maybe a new .257 WSM? or .257-308 ?
.264 Maybe a new .264 WSM?
.277 .270 Win. (I don't think we really needed another .270, ie the 270 WSM)
.284 7mm STW ? Not a big fan of the 7mm Rem. Mag. so what else is out there in 7mm? almost forgot, maybe I'd have the 7mm-08 here.
.308 .300 WSM
.338 .340 Weatherby (I'd also load ammo for this in 275grs)
.375 H&H or Ruger
.416 .416 Ruger (a new round that could become the only choice in the category I feel. )
.458 .458 Lott

Old 02-02-2008, 02:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

Throw a 8mm / .323 in there....? 8mm rem mag? do we need an 8mm? with 300? with 338's? Maybe if you didnt offer a 300 or 338 could be in place of these 2 categories?
Old 02-02-2008, 02:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

which would you rather have?

.257 WSM? or .257-308?

.264 WSM or some other .264?

7mm STW? 7mm RUM? some other?

8mm Rem. Mag? 8mm RUM? .325 WSM? some other?

.357 RUM? .35 Whelen? some other .357 caliber? side not are all .35 calibers, .357?

Old 02-02-2008, 09:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

I think there are a whole bunch of companies that already make hand loaded ammo. And you limiting yourself to very specific cartridges you are greatly limiting your potential income. There are a very precious few that shoot cartridges like the 257 WSM, .264 WSM, 358RUM (.357 is for handguns), .416RUM, etc... etc... and on top of that these people are most likely hand loading their own cartridges and your services wouldn't be needed in the first place. Guys that shoot cartridges like these are not yoru average shooter/ hunter.

And a question everyone would ask is......... best cartridge for what?

Just because a cartridge can push a given bullet at the highest possible velicity does not make it the best choice for someone hunting in Florida swamps where they can't see 50 yards much less shoot that far. Examples like this can ve given for every single cartridge made. If you want to have a high precision cartridge company then focus on what the vast majority of people will be hunting with.
Old 02-02-2008, 10:17 PM

BigBulls is right. If we are talking a viable company, you got to go with what sells or you'lllose money faster than they can print it. No company can survive by ignoring market demand. It doesn't matter if you have the best widget on the market if no one wants a widget.[&:]
Old 02-03-2008, 08:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Its alright to offer those off the beaten path catridges but you better have the old standbys in the list to keep things profitable. 85% of America is perfectly happy with a 243/270/7mag/30-06/308 lineup... The 7mm-08 is gaining some momentum towards that group but its a long shot to ever hit mainstream anything like those listed have.
Old 02-03-2008, 01:32 PM

My only concern would be marketing a product for a firearm hardly anyone produces. Like in the instance of the 6mm remington. Remington is pretty much the only people making them and I believe it is only model. And it really won't do much the .243 won't.

Although the few people that own 6mm remigntons and don't reload would probably like some better offerings in the factory ammo department. The pickens are pretty slim from what I can tell.

Like the others, I feel you would end up broke pretty quick if you were not doing something to keep your over all sales up.

And Hornady already loads ammunition for many of those calibers. It looks somebody already took your idea and ran with it.

Paul
Old 02-03-2008, 04:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

If a new rifle company wanted to really make some bucks right now, I'd suggest these two options:

1) Focus on varmint guns. Both rimfires and centerfires. The .17 HMR at our shop has outsold every other rimfire round 3:1 in the last three years. Not a made up figure.... 3:1. Also keep the price and options low enough for just about everyone to afford one. Savage has been selling the snot out of .17 HMRs for $250... and everyone is buying them up. And LORD DO THEY SHOOT!

2) Lots of companies are chasing TC with the Encore and Pro Hunter. CVA has the Elite, and Knight the KP-1 or whatever its called. This is a good plan, but I have yet to see one come as a kit. How about a matched pair of GROWN UP .223 and .270? Or a .243 and 30/06? Not a bad way to go... I know Rossi and I think H&R have hit on this a little bit.

Above all, if you want to sell to and American consumer market... make you gun in America. I was shocked at what a huge consideration this is for a lot of people when buying goods. I have gone through 20 gun cases trying to find one that was not made by a communist country or a former communist satelite before. Amazing.. but American made guns still roll off hot.

Key to success is to either make them expensive and high end... or to make a lot of them, and make them attainable. Tough to do. I wouldn't invest my money in you I'll say that.
Old 02-04-2008, 07:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: salukipv1

Like weatherby and others, having a Proprietary cartridges can limit their availability. My idea, what about claiming the best cartridges only even though they're not the companys own, and only loading quality rounds, I guess that would include some personal preference, but such as follows....

only loading the .220 swift over any other .223 calibers...

the 6mm remington over the .243 Win.

.458 Lott over the .458 win mag and other .458's

I'd have to figure out the rest....I'm sure I'd include some popular yet good rounds too of course.

maybe the .270 win, .300 wsm,

and in turn re-promote some lesser used cartridges yet make them more popular!
You would not be in business long unless you were loading the ammo people want to buy. To start off with, you'd be forced into aposition of having to spendlarge amounts on marketing in order to try to convince the public of the soundness of your production strategy, I think. If I'm understanding your proposal correctly...... For xample, although the .220 Swift is a great cartridge, it doesn't sell well. But there is an immense demand for the .223.

Quick Reply: New Firearm Company Concept?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.