Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Most Gun / Kick you care to handle? >

Most Gun / Kick you care to handle?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Most Gun / Kick you care to handle?

Old 02-02-2008, 01:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Most Gun / Kick you care to handle?

I read about how the avg guy pain threshold seems to be somewhere around a .30-06, anything larger and the chicken fairy seems to creep in. Personally a .30-06 / .270 feels likea slight tap on the shooulder. Biggest I've shot so far was a .300 win mag, and a .340 wby, no scope, I'd have to say the .300 kicks harder! I hear the .338 RUM is a kicker, really my .340 wby isn't much ofa hassle to shoot, it kicks, but no worries.

So at what caliber does shooting become a pain/hassle to you? Then at what point do you now even want to shoot the caliber? I hear that .378 wby is a nightmare! worst kick by far.....anyone ever shoot it?Personally though I have no experience with the big boys....375 H&H, I can't see kciking much harder than a .300 win mag or .340, but maybe? and for some reason I really don't sense that .458 Lott I want will do much punishment either. What's your experience?
Old 02-02-2008, 02:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Most Gun / Kick you care to handle?

The most gun I have shot was a Ruger No.1 in 416 Rigby, another hard kicker was a 10ga shotgun with slugs. Just don't shoot either from a bench!
The largest rifle I own is a 308 and also a 270 depending on how you look at it.

Old 02-02-2008, 03:31 AM

http://www.youtube.com/v/OAwg-FaINkc&rel=1
Old 02-02-2008, 05:43 AM

The worst ive shot was a Ruger No.1 in 300 Weathery. I dont mind shooting the big guns but the biggest gun ive shot was a 300 Ultra Mag in a custom lightweight rifle. Now my dad on the other hand wont shoot my Tikka T3 in 300 WSM. He said it hurt too much to shoot it. I shot 2 boxes of ammo from it and it never botherd me. He only shot 2 rounds and wont ever shoot it again.
Old 02-02-2008, 06:26 AM
Boone & Crockett

I've read that somewhere before too. I guess it was one of those 'gun writing experts' saying it. Personally I shot '06 that smacked you pretty good and others that were just love taps with the same load. A lot has to do with the stock design. I despised pattering my 870 Super mag with 3 1/2" turkey loads from the bench. That gave me one heck of a headache - literally.
The largest rifle I've ever fired was a 460WM. I shot that one off hand and it seemed like it turned my upper body 90 degrees with the recoil. Right now the hardest kicking rifles I have are my Browning Micro hunter in 325WSM and my Marlin Guide gun 45-70. The 2 rifles are light and let you know when they went off but the recoil is by no means intolerable.
What I would REALLY love to shoot would be a nice double rifle in 500NE.
Old 02-02-2008, 06:53 AM

I haven't shot any really large rifles, 30-06 is about the biggest I think in a centerfire. And a lot of it really depends on the rifle. I had a savage 110E in 30-06 when I was younger and it didn't bother me at all. And I was only like 5'3" and weighed about 85-90 lbs at the time. My step dad had a Remington pump in 30-06 as well and that thing was BRUTAL to shoot. I hated shooting it.

I have shot a lot of magnum muzzle loaders and larger shotguns with no real problems though. Like H&R ultras with three inch magnum loads and 600 grn slugs, 870's and 500's with winchester platinums and the likes and various turkey guns like 3.5 inch pumps with full turkey loads.

I even shot a 3 inch high velocity turkey shell with 2 OZ of #4 shot out of a standard H&R tracker single shot. That is one I probably won't forget soon[:@].

My thresh hold is probably 3 inch turkey loads out of a standard pump gun like a 870 or 500. I can shoot a 3.5 inch gun, but it's not something I care to do often.

I bet I could probably shoot a 300 win mag without many problems. I wouldn't be afraid to try it I know that.

Paul
Old 02-02-2008, 07:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

Biggest/hardest kick I experienced was shooting my brother-in-law's .50 cal BMG. Then again, the actual "kick" wasn't as bad as I expected. It was like shooting a 12GA with a slug. But the concussion is what gets you. The sonic blast goes right through your body! [&:]

Old 02-02-2008, 07:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a 300 RUM, and I did not like the recoil. I put a muzzle brake and a limbsaver recoil pad and now it's easy to shoot. I have a CZ 375 H&H on layaway. I would be very interested in hearing opinons on the recoil of that gun also. I'm hoping the 10 pounds it weighs will help reduce the recoil. I hope I can handle the recoil with just a pad, but I will put a mercury recoil reducer on it if I have to. If I still can't handle the recoil I'll add a muzzle brake as a last resort.
Old 02-02-2008, 07:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: salukipv1

I read about how the avg guy pain threshold seems to be somewhere around a .30-06, anything larger and the chicken fairy seems to creep in. Personally a .30-06 / .270 feels likea slight tap on the shooulder. Biggest I've shot so far was a .300 win mag, and a .340 wby, no scope, I'd have to say the .300 kicks harder! I hear the .338 RUM is a kicker, really my .340 wby isn't much ofa hassle to shoot, it kicks, but no worries.

So at what caliber does shooting become a pain/hassle to you? Then at what point do you now even want to shoot the caliber? I hear that .378 wby is a nightmare! worst kick by far.....anyone ever shoot it?Personally though I have no experience with the big boys....375 H&H, I can't see kciking much harder than a .300 win mag or .340, but maybe? and for some reason I really don't sense that .458 Lott I want will do much punishment either. What's your experience?

I have a very strong .45/70 single shot that weighs seven ppounds. With a 400-grain bullet at the maximum velocity attainable in this rifle, the recoil is 58 foot-pounds. I would NOT care to shoot anything that kicks more than this one! My .416 Rigby is easier on the shoulder than this .45/70, but it is heavier (10.5 pounds) & has a muzzle brake, which helps tame it some.
Old 02-02-2008, 07:44 AM
Typical Buck

My 10 gauge NEF single shot with turkey loads and the weight removed from the stock. Hurts at both ends. My grandpa had a 12 gauges Savage ultralight auto, weighed about 5lbs, I got a bloody lip shooting at a squirel one day.

Quick Reply: Most Gun / Kick you care to handle?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.