Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Accubonds

Old 02-02-2008, 03:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Accubonds

ORIGINAL: BarnesX.308

He shot a doe almost completely broadside at 40 yards. The deer ran about 200 yards. There was fresh snow so the tracks were easy to follow. NO BLOOD!!!!! I checked out the deer. Entrance through the ribs and no exit. It doesn't make any sense.
I shot a small buck 2 years ago with my 7mm-08 using 140 gr. Accubond. The distance was approx. 130 yards and had no pass through. If it wouldn’t have been that I waited patiently for him to drop, I may have lost him because of no blood trail. So yeah I could see it happen, because it happened to me...
Old 02-02-2008, 04:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: oldelkhunter

They are a very accurate bullet but why you would need one on whitetail with a 270 is beyond me.
A better question is why do you need a 270 to kill a deer when a 30-30 will do just as good.
Old 02-02-2008, 05:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Definitely an Accubond. White tip on a 7mm, not red.
Old 02-02-2008, 06:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

A better question is why do you need a 270 to kill a deer when a 30-30 will do just as good.
Not when your shooting across a food plot that may be 300 yards across
Old 02-02-2008, 08:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: trailer

He shot a doe almost completely broadside at 40 yards. The deer ran about 200 yards. There was fresh snow so the tracks were easy to follow. NO BLOOD!!!!! I checked out the deer. Entrance through the ribs and no exit. It doesn't make any sense.
I shot a small buck 2 years ago with my 7mm-08 using 140 gr. Accubond. The distance was approx. 130 yards and had no pass through. If it wouldn’t have been that I waited patiently for him to drop, I may have lost him because of no blood trail. So yeah I could see it happen, because it happened to me...
trailer...just curious... did you skin the deer and check out what happened? I can't think that we can get fragmentation at skin or contact level with the speeds we're driving them at.... I had one with no exit a couple of years ago but only because of the range and angle...stopped by the offside shoulder. All else have been exactly what I expected....Don.
Old 02-02-2008, 08:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Pawildman

ORIGINAL: trailer

trailer...just curious... did you skin the deer and check out what happened? I can't think that we can get fragmentation at skin or contact level with the speeds we're driving them at.... I had one with no exit a couple of years ago but only because of the range and angle...stopped by the offside shoulder. All else have been exactly what I expected....Don.

Great minds we have wild.

I was thinking that or perhaps on a broadside shot, a hit that was just a bit back. A bullet through the guts of a deer is really about like a bullet going through water. A light bullet, like is found in a .270 or a 7mm may well not make it through. Who knows? Lots of vairables.

I will say this... gut wounds do not bleed very well. And hits through the liver (which does bleed) at just the right angle will have intestine coils slide forward and acctually plug the holes blood would be coming out of.

Accubonds are not designed for whitetail deer. Not that they won't work. I can shoot doves with a 10 gauge and get dead doves... if you follow me.
Old 02-02-2008, 10:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

We did a mini-autopsy on our doe. My dad is a surgeon, too, so he was on a mission. We didn't find the bullet, which was strange. We retraced the 200+ trail through the snow and found no blood. When we took out the lungs, one was hit, one was not. I believe the diaphragm was intact. Guts were not touched. No broken ribs. We are still scrathing out heads. A cork bullet should have penetrated in that situation.Maybe the bullet got severely deflected. But how? There's nothing in a broadside doe that would redirect a bullet that much.

Not saying Accubond is a bad bullet. Just saying that this was the 1st time since 1997 that someone in our camp didn't use a Barnes X
Old 02-03-2008, 08:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Pawildman

trailer...just curious... did you skin the deer and check out what happened?
PA, I had posted this before and came to the conclusion that it was the stomach had stopped the bullet. This was not a broad side shot but the buck was quartering towards me and the shot was place a little to far back. I tried to find the bullet with no success..... My point was that anything is possible..... I shot a buck six years ago with my 7 mm R. M. at approx. 20 yards using 160 gr. Sierra bullet with no blood trail and no exit wound. Found the bullet between the hide and the meat in a perfect mushroom shape so when guys claim they have no exit wound I don’t question it, because I’ve experience it...
Old 02-03-2008, 09:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

We did a mini-autopsy on our doe. My dad is a surgeon, too, so he was on a mission. We didn't find the bullet, which was strange. We retraced the 200+ trail through the snow and found no blood. When we took out the lungs, one was hit, one was not. I believe the diaphragm was intact. Guts were not touched. No broken ribs. We are still scrathing out heads. A cork bullet should have penetrated in that situation. Maybe the bullet got severely deflected. But how? There's nothing in a broadside doe that would redirect a bullet that much.

Not saying Accubond is a bad bullet. Just saying that this was the 1st time since 1997 that someone in our camp didn't use a Barnes X

Sounds to me like the bullet may well have deflected inside the deer. Or perhaps a branch or something got clipped before the bullet got to the deer. Strange stuff bullets can do. But its a good thing you found the deer. Pays to take your time and keep your nose to the ground.
Old 02-03-2008, 09:32 AM
Spike

I load 140 accubonds in a 270.
57.5 gr of H4831 SC
Fed 215 GM
OL 3.357 - set for this specific gun .15 off the lands.
Haven't used in on deer but have seen good results on elk. Retrieved the bullet from a cow elk shot at 285 yard this season that lodged under the skin on the opposite shoulder. Weight retained right at 100 gr.