Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

870 owners

Old 02-01-2008, 10:08 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default 870 owners

Guys - I thought I took pretty good care of my firearms. That is until last night. I have an 870 Express Super Mag that I have beaten up pretty good over the last several years, out in the rain, in duck blinds, etc. But I always gave it a good cleaning and stripped it down every year to clean out the action, trigger, mag tube, etc.The stocks was getting pretty shabby looking so I ordered a new synthetic one. Last night I took the forearm off and unscrewed the nut and tapped out the sleeve/action bars assembly. It was rusted but thankfully it was just surface rust with only minor pitting. I sprayed it down good with gun degreaser and poished it back up with some steel wool and gave it a new cold blueing and re-oiled it. Just something you may want to watch out for.
Old 02-01-2008, 12:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 870 owners

I've had my 870 for over 20 years and never noticed rust on the action bars or anywhere. Not trying to be a smart a$$ but maybe your not cleaning it as well as you should. Every piece of mine gets attention.
Old 02-01-2008, 12:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

No - you didn't read the post correctly. The rust was on the outside of the tube (not the magazine tube) located inside the forearm. There is a nut on the front of it with 2 slots to ease disassembly. You then have to lightly tap this sleeveout with a brass punch or wooden dowel. It is the tube (for lack of a better name) that the action bars are silver soldered to. If you're like me and probably thousands of other 870 owners, you never gave this a thought. I posted this for everyone's info.
Old 02-02-2008, 08:03 AM

good post bronko, just gave mine and end of season cleaning and never thought of that. amazing what we put our 870's thru isnt it?
Old 02-02-2008, 08:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bronko22000

No - you didn't read the post correctly. The rust was on the outside of the tube (not the magazine tube) located inside the forearm. There is a nut on the front of it with 2 slots to ease disassembly. You then have to lightly tap this sleeveout with a brass punch or wooden dowel. It is the tube (for lack of a better name) that the action bars are silver soldered to. If you're like me and probably thousands of other 870 owners, you never gave this a thought. I posted this for everyone's info.

Sorry, I understood your post. Please read my response again.....20 years no rust. My 870 get taken apart and cleaned. I will agree though maybe this part of the 870 cleaning process gets overlooked, mine doesn't
Old 02-02-2008, 08:30 PM

I didn't know 870's required cleaning, Except for a nice wd-40 coated hot shower, and a toweling
All kidding aside it has been awhile since i've cleaned mine, and that gun stillworks fine.
Old 02-02-2008, 08:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: opieone

I didn't know 870's required cleaning, Except for a nice wd-40 coated hot shower, and a toweling
All kidding aside it has been awhile since i've cleaned mine, and that gun still works fine.

Oh don't you worry... keep on using WD-40... you won't get rust.. but she will gum herself solid in a few years.

As to 870's and rust..... the bluing on an 870 made 20 years ago.... is not the same as the 870 Super Mags matte finish. The faux parkerized finish on current 870s and 1187 sportsman shotguns is to rust what potting soil and miracle grow are to tomato plants. You can watch them rust throughout the morning. I have a wingmaster from the 1970s that will hardly rust if you try to make it. I am a waterfowler.... 20+ hunts each winter and thats JUST ducks. Been at it for over 15 years and the gun looks new. The 8 year old Express looks like its 40 years old and has lived its life as a wreck anchor.
Old 02-03-2008, 08:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a Wingmaster made in 70 or 71..cant remember which...but I agree Swamp...it takes some doing to make that gun even consider rusting. It is my number 1 favorite gun out of everything in there. Shoots like a rifle with the 30 inch full choke. Just my opinion but those old Wingmasters have to be among the best shotguns ever.
Old 02-03-2008, 09:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

Oh don't you worry... keep on using WD-40... you won't get rust.. but she will gum herself solid in a few years.
Now that is funny.
Old 02-03-2008, 10:03 AM
Boone & Crockett

OK guys - I just put up a friendly post FYI. But the next time you pull off your barrel, take a close look at the steel under that little slit in the forearm. It may be a modest indication of what is lurking between the wood or synthetic and the sleeve. My shotgun doesn't just go for a walk in an open field on a sunny day for pheasants or through the woods for grouse. It takes a beating every year in rain, snow, mud, banged around in a boat, etc. But it always gets wiped down and cleaned when I get home and a tear down at least twice a year. Its functioned flawlessly for a long time and I intend to keep it that way. I probably would have never noticed this concern had I not decided to replace the battered hardwood factory stock with a synthetic one.