Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 factory barrel life >

factory barrel life

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

factory barrel life

Old 01-30-2008, 02:58 AM

Default RE: factory barrel life

Eating barrels is what most of the magnum cartridges do best. You've got to figure when you are stuffing an extra 20 or so grains of powder in there above the requirements of a balanced cartridge like the /06just to squeeze out an extra 150-200 fps that all the extra fire is gonna be doing something evil to your barrel. I knew a guy who had a 257 Weatherby and in about 400 rounds his barrel was fit only for tent pegs.

Maybe this is why I've never owned but one magnum rifle. It's normally a chilly day in hell when some hunter does something with a magnum that he couldn't have done just as well with something else. I know this sounds like sacriledge to the guys who shoot them and I don't want to call anyone's dog ugly.......but these are just the cold hard facts.
Old 01-30-2008, 06:30 AM

ORIGINAL: gunnermhr

I also have my doubt's on SEVERAL THOUSAND rounds. But I also have my doubt's many are going to shoot that many out of a RUM. Bigcountry I wouldn't blame the gunsmith I have an Improved RUM known as a 300 Tomahawk and I see more throat erosion than I like to see at 500 rounds, maybe 550. I guess if your shooting a big gun like the 300 RUM you want the very best accuacy, after all why buy a gun capable of making shots out to a 1000 yards and it not be accurate?
I hope you're shooting paper at 1000 yards and not live animals! If you're shooting paper, you're probably taking target rifle accuracy. I'd think the 300 RUM would/could last a hunter many, many rounds. What's an accuracy loss of 1/4" to even 1/2" at 100 yards to "most" hunters. Of course a lot depends upon the initial accuracy of the rifle to begin with. Myself I'll skip the overbored barrel burners. A 300 Win. Mag. is as fast a 300 caliber as I see as really practical.
Old 01-30-2008, 06:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: dayna0306

Just wandering how many shots can I expect to get out of my new SS 700 rem in a 300 RUM Befor replacement is called for? My loads will be fortight groups not speed.
My loads will be fortight groups not speed.

Even so, with that much powder in that big ol' case, the best you can expect will be between 750-1000 rounds, IF you let the barrel cool off welll between shots..... Hunting accuracy, not target accuracy!

Old 01-30-2008, 06:58 PM
Fork Horn

quote]What's an accuracy loss of 1/4" to even 1/2" at 100 yards
[/quote]

2 1/2" at a1000. Who needs a 300 RUM to kill anything on the Continetal US at a 100 yards. A 300 Tomahawk will shoot a 240 SMK at 2860FPSwithout any problem. Thats putting them in a 1/4" group at a 100 reguarly. at 1000 yards that bullet is still going 1725FPS with 1499FtLbs of energy. Thats almost as much energy as a hot loaded 25-06 shooting a 100 grain bullet at 200 yards "1563FtLbs with 3186Fps at the muzzle. The 300 big mag is a Barrel burner for sure. I'm not complaining about barrel life I only expected 1000 rounds anyhow. Heck yea it will still be as or more accurate at a 100 yards than anyone would need but it gets amplified the longer distance you shoot. Spend another $500 dollars and your back in the accuacy buissness. A small caliber rifle being able to do as much as a magnum I don't think so! I like them all and own them all but the magnum definatley has it's place. Go to biggameinfo.com and play with the ballitistics calculator. You'll be surprised what velocity and BC do for bullet path and energy.
Old 01-30-2008, 08:31 PM

[/quote]

2 1/2" at a1000. Who needs a 300 RUM to kill anything on the Continetal US at a 100 yards. A 300 Tomahawk will shoot a 240 SMK at 2860FPSwithout any problem. Thats putting them in a 1/4" group at a 100 reguarly. at 1000 yards that bullet is still going 1725FPS with 1499FtLbs of energy. Thats almost as much energy as a hot loaded 25-06 shooting a 100 grain bullet at 200 yards "1563FtLbs with 3186Fps at the muzzle. The 300 big mag is a Barrel burner for sure. I'm not complaining about barrel life I only expected 1000 rounds anyhow. Heck yea it will still be as or more accurate at a 100 yards than anyone would need but it gets amplified the longer distance you shoot. Spend another $500 dollars and your back in the accuacy buissness. A small caliber rifle being able to do as much as a magnum I don't think so! I like them all and own them all but the magnum definatley has it's place. Go to biggameinfo.com and play with the ballitistics calculator. You'll be surprised what velocity and BC do for bullet path and energy.
[/quote]

In 2003,a1000 yard record was set with a6mmBR, a long ways from any magnum. So the small calibers can shoot well at long distance too. Magnums are great, and I own a few, but they do have their downfalls such as shorter barrel life, louder report, and sometimes leading people take attempt long distance shots at game much further than they have any good ethics should allow.