HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   survival rifle (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/229250-survival-rifle.html)

savagescout 01-26-2008 08:56 PM

survival rifle

All right I know this post has been done, but what i am interested in is our opinoins and why. I am talking rifles not pistols or shot guns.

So if you had tomake a choice on a rifle to do these tasks with;to defend a small family from wild critters both 4 and 2legged onesand collect food. (small game, big game what ever you think you would use it for)

Action-

Caliber-

sights-

anything else you can think of- ( stainless, synthetic stock, brand, camo)

I am interested to see howyour thought process is on this, like do you go strickly with iron sights or a sturdy fixed power and detachable rings and iron sight. And ammo availabilty and cost toreload or purchase your ammo stock. Do you care if the finish is blued or stainless. Do you want semi auto,bolt action, lever or other. This is just for fun and everyones situation is totally different. It will be interesting to hear your responses, thanks.

mcfadden222 01-26-2008 09:06 PM

RE: survival rifle

My colt AR-15 A3 with the 100 round dual drum mag, and a nice red dot, .223 of course

savagescout 01-26-2008 09:50 PM

the things that i know i am sold on are

iron sights

semi auto

.223 7.62x39 .308 .30-06 .30 carbine most of these selections are bassed on price and availability. The amount I could carry would make a diifference so the 308 and the 30-06 would be second choice to some of the others.

synthetic stock

light and short would be important.

Badger Boy 01-27-2008 12:08 AM

Semi Auto .308 carbine (M1A Socom or Remington 742<or modern equivilent>)
keep a dot sight or 4x scope on it for Self Defense

they will protect from even armored two legged varmints and do well against medium and large game.
Pros:
simple/reliable action
accurate
good stopping power
good range
ammunition widely available

cons:
Overpenetration for indoor use
usually on the heavier side
relatiely low maximum ammunition capacity. (up to 20 rds in reliable magazines)

if big gameisnt a concern, then go for a AR design in either 5.56mm or 6.8mm
the 6.8 is more powerful and can be used to hunt dear but the ammo isnt very common and can be hard to find as of yetand it isnt the cheapest. Magazine hold up to 28 rds.
the 5.56 is everywhere and really cheap and wont go through a intruding varmint, the wall and down into your neighboors house. Also, its light recoil means anyone can learn to use it and not be afraid. magazines hold up to 100 if you get a drum.

unless your planning hand to hand combat, get a synthetic. Its light and wont rot away over the years.

kdvollmer 01-27-2008 01:35 AM

If this is going to be a single firearm, defensive, and have to last a long time, possible you can't get another one. Then get a mid size caliber rifle in a pump action. Semi auto, though reliable by todays standard will most likely wear out sooner than anything else. More moving parts, gas tubes...etc that can go wrong. A pump, well lets face it, are exceptionally reliable, and going to be easier to fix if you break it. Caliber is really going to depend on What is available out there, might even go so far as to say something in a .44 mag, though that might be a little over kill for squirrels, you can take rabbits with it with out too much damage, as long as it isn't a hollow point round. That is of course as long as that caliber is out ther ein a pump. Might not be. Other wise, .223 is good, you can kill most anything up to deer with it, good for defense, readily available, and if you need to reload, not to pricy either. Though .308 would most likely be my overall first choice. That brings even larger game into the picture. I have killed rabbits with one at 20 ft ( just stumbled on them ) and shot them with 165 grain match ammo, and really didn't destroy any meat. Also a good caliber since it is a military round for Nato, it is widely available.
For something like this, It would have to come with iron sights from the factory, and be drilled and tapped for a scope as well. Variable power in this case is a must. Say a 3-12 power. Low enough for close shooting and in the woods, and enough higher power for longer distance if needed.

Swampdog 01-27-2008 05:33 AM

I'm with kdvollmer on this one my choice would have to be a Rem.760 carbine in 30-06 or .308.semi is O.K. but the pump don't usually malfunction.carbine for quick handling.caliber choice can get either about anywhere.

Pavomesa 01-27-2008 06:21 AM

Wow, my thinking must be from another planet.

First, I don't know any wild animals in this hemisphere I would have to defend against short of a griz and I don't live within 1,500 miles of one. As for defending against people, they are about as hard to drive away as chickens.:)

It wouldn't take me 2 seconds to make this decision on weapon.

Give me a stainless bolt action .22 Long Rifle.

Why?

First I can kill anything from a dove to a deer with it. That will feed me.
Gotta be a bolt action because they are stronger and don't have as much crap to brake or gum up. All these AR's andd AK's and Awhatevers are BS for an ultimate survival weapon. They are COMBAT weapons.

I can stack 1000 rounds of 22LR ammo in the space 100 rounds of high power rifle ammo takes up.:) I assume we are going to have to survive more than a weekend because that's about how long most of you guy's ammo is going to last. And if you gotta pack up all your stuff and run from a pack of crazoid thugs, try running with 1,000 rounds of even the dinky little .223 ammo in your pack.

We all like to kick around the notion of "survival" but if your really think about it......the gun really plays a very minor part in things. We'll worry more about having a few pots and pans to cook and boil water and a blanket to stay warm at night more than which belt fed machinegun we are going to set up at the cave entrance.

Get real guys. Are we talking about survival or just a weekend gunfight? They are two VERY different things.

johnnybravoo77 01-27-2008 08:52 AM

I agree eith Pavomesa, I might up the anty to a 22 mag though. A bolt action is the most reliable next to single shot.

fur fish game 01-27-2008 09:01 AM

I would say 22lr , 223 , 6.8spc, 308 in rifle. Shotgun a 12 ga. Pistol 9 mm,38 SW,357 mag.40 cal, 45 acp . Can't go wrong with any of these rounds. Incidentally the 6.8 spc is being used by U.S Special Forces and some Police agencies.

starhunter21 01-27-2008 09:19 AM

I don’t think I would choose a 22LR to defend my family. I think it’s a great choice for survival, but defense, no way. I would go with the AR-15, red dot scope with detachable rings, flip up iron sights. If I had to head for the hills, I would split the ammo up and have the kids help carry.