Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Favorite weapon? >

Favorite weapon?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Favorite weapon?

Old 01-24-2008, 10:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Favorite weapon?

Most of the people here have lots, or at least more than one gun or weapon. What is your favorite?
It is tough, but I think my favorite gun, is my cheap Norinco SKS. It isn’t the most powerful, most accurate, or most anything for that matter. But it sure is fun to shoot and cool to hunt with. I’ve found that I prefer iron sights. To me it seems more like reality. A scope takes something away from the experience, almost as if I’m watching a movie instead of being there. I used to carry my SKS when it was foggy or damp and I didn’t want to have a fogged up scope on my 700. Then I found that I was happy that it was foggy, rainy or snowy so that I could carry it. Finally I liberated myself and decided to make it my primary rifle, simply because I like it. It is all about the enjoyment, right? Don’t get me wrong; I like having and carrying lots of weapons, from a bow to a high power rifle or shot-gun. Just a fondness for the SKS.
What are some of your favorites? And why?
Old 01-24-2008, 11:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Favorite weapon?

I really enjoy my Remington 870 Wingmaster.

Simple gun and many people have them, but I have a few reasons of liking it.

1. Given to me by my grandfather.
2. You can hunt literally anything with it. I harvested my first small game, large game, waterfowl,and predator animals with it.
3. Ammunition is cheap, and easily reloadable.
4.What more could you ask for?
Old 01-24-2008, 11:09 AM

Aside from my bow, my Remington 700 7mm Mag. was my favorite. I took my first deer and acually all of my deer with it. I haven't been up state at deer camp wererifles arestill legal for years now but last four years I was there I carried only my Ruger Super Red Hawk. I carried it for deer andbear hunting. I was never futunate enough to get a shot but I lovedto carry that gun and it was a dream of mine to take a buck with it.It still is.
Old 01-24-2008, 11:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

My favorite weapon is my bow...Mathews switchback XT... Love it and would give up gun hunting tomorrow for bowhunting...
Having said that... I do love my guns... and I only really use them for hunting and nothing else... I love them all!

Old 01-24-2008, 11:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

I prefer my Browning BAR308. It was my dads first high-powered rifle about 32 years ago and it has standed the test of time for both of us. He gave me the rifle about 10 years ago and replaced it with a new BAR 308, which i have now too (He upgraded to a A-bolt 300WSM). I have had other brands of rifles but none of them even came close to the quality of the Belgium-made Browning, which is why i still shoot it. It is not the most beautiful gun i own either, the stock is scratched terribly but the safari engravings are still nice. My dad had killed over 100 bucks with the rifle, so it adds to the mystique of hunting with it and has alot of value to me and the rest of my family. After all those years it still will empty a clip pretty quickly too!
Old 01-24-2008, 12:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wow that's a tough question for me. I have many guns all have a story and all are close to my heart but it would come down to three and for good reason.

1. The Winchester 20ga. single shot my dad gave be at 15. His dad gave it to him at 16 and it will continue to be passed down for years to come. It looks like crap now but I plan on getting it reblued and sanding and staining the stock again to restore it to its former glory.

2. Then there is the Marlin 30-30 he gave me at 17. We didn't have alot of money but my dad sacrificed alot to get it for me brand new. He wasn't into hunting but he saw the passion in me and that is what really got me into the sport. It was used to kill my first deer and many more after that plus it will blow an armadillo clean in two.

3. Is the Ruger 10/22 my fiance gave me for Christmas this last year she wanted to give me something that would make me remember this year forever. This gun hasn't had the chance for a lot of memories yet but soon I think it will be my favorite just like her.
Old 01-24-2008, 12:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Uzi 9mm, the .45 Long Slide with laser sighting,phased-plasma rifle in the forty watt range.

jk Gotta love The Terminator though.
Old 01-24-2008, 12:20 PM

1. rock
2. spear
3 if i'm tired....i'll run them down.

just jk

ar10, first rifle i worked hard for
Old 01-24-2008, 12:31 PM
Fork Horn

I have 2 870's. One I bought over 30 years ago is a 2 3/4 inch Wingmaster. When I started deer hunting I got a rifle sighted rifled barrel for it. About 10 to 15 years ago I got an 870 Express combo. It has a smooth bore, rifle sight barrel. I saw it displayed at a gun show by a dealer who had several of them, all new with boxes. One stood out as it had a walnut stock instead of the stained birch. I do not like the look of the birch stocks at all so I got the gun. My two boys were getting to be the age where they needed something to shoot too and I wanted something to shoot 3" waterfowl loads.

The Express has mellowed over the years the way walnut stocked guns do. I have confidence with that gun and I like the way it looks. The Wingmaster is just a gun to me, go figure. I think part of it is the looks and part of it is because of the success I've had deer hunting with the Express.

Both of my sons would rather shoot the Wingmaster. To them it is pop's gun, and it has the more polished finish. My older boy can shoot the eyes out of a snake with it too.

Of course my great grandpa's sporter M1861 Springfield musket (now shotgun) is right up there. He probably got it from Sears or Wards back in the late 1800's. I'm taking it with me the next time I go rabbit hunting, I don't like having a gun that I've never killed anything with. The gun had a powder charge in it when my grandpa gave it to my dad back about 1967. It kicks like a mule with light loads because the whole gun is so light. This gun does not have much monetary value and old grandaddy probably only gave around $2 for it but it has been in the family for 120 years or so and was used regularly till the late 1940's.

Bob
Old 01-24-2008, 12:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Probably have to say my very first gun.......my Remington 870

Quick Reply: Favorite weapon?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.